Is Sweezy really that good?

lobohawk

Reaction score
Thought it was funny listening to Brock & Salk with Okung. At one point they wondered who would win a brawl between Sweezy and Britt, since they very similar build, etc.

Okung just chuckled and said Sweezy without a doubt. Implying that he's just that much meaner.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hawks46":20m2aeuy said:
kearly":20m2aeuy said:
I like Sweezy but am not sure how to evaluate him as he can be such a mixed bag. I like him but any opinion I'd have of Sweezy at this point would be a cautious one.

The fact that Cable not only has a strong opinion of Sweezy but that it is an extremely positive one really tells you a lot more about Tom Cable's values than JR Sweezy's capabilities.

Couldn't agree more.

The eyeball test tells me he's a very good run blocker, and a poor pass blocker. He fits our system very well, but I wouldn't call him one of the best in the game, as I think if he went to a power blocking scheme he'd still get beat going up against good DT"s one on one.
He fits our system because he was scouted by Cable while he was still playing defense in college, specifically for blocking in the ZBS. Cable has a bunch more of these defensive guys we got him in the draft for conversion to o-line and I can't wait to see them. GO HAWKS!

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3dazz711 said:
SeaJax":3dazz711 said:
The retaliation hit he put on Mathews in the NFCCC was a thing of legend. I swear that Clay was limping afterwards when he's celebrating with his teammates. J.R. Is a big reason why GB's defense couldn't stop anybody at the end of the game.

HandyPracticalAustraliancattledog.gif
Thanks for posting that video! I want to watch over and over about fifty times, but my neighbors will wonder what the "GYAAH!" sound is all about.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
olyfan63":1ylpx8d6 said:
I missed the significance of the Sweezy hit on Matthews at the time, but WOW, what an awesome play by Sweezy!
Matthews thought he'd lay on Wilson and maybe separate RW's shoulder or break his collarbone, and the hunter becomes the hunted...

What was masterful about Sweezy's play is that then he didn't fall on Wilson. He picked Matthews off without really even touching Wilson.
Except for sort of raking Wilson's head with his size 26s, it was pretty surgical. Quick, too--he he didn't let the enemy linger on the Franchise.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Upon further review, Sweezy had an uncharacteristically horrible game run blocking.

IdenticalCalculatingKingsnake

On this play, the right side of the line is blocking down. Nowak gets a nice push on the RDT and then gets to the 2nd level to take out the ILB. Likewise, Gilliam does a nice job cutting across the LDE. Sweezy was supposed to cut block the LDT, Allen Bailey, but he badly misses him and Bailey just steps over to make the play on Michael.

Of course, Marshawn would have probably read the play better and avoided Bailey, instead of running right into him, by running off the TE for a first down.

Latest posts