Is Seattle fun to visit home game weekend during Covid?

mikeak

Reaction score
First of all I am not looking for a mask, no mask, vaccine, no vaccine discussion. Please keep that out

My question is simple. Flying in for a home game this season. Planning on watching UW as well. Normally we go binge drinking, hitting bars all over the city and just have a grand time.

So for us that don't live in Seattle how is that part of visiting for GameDay weekend?

Are bars and restaurants allowed to be opened fully now? Are people going out?
Should we expect at least on Sunday before game that bars are busy or what is the expectation here?
Any nightlife on Friday and Saturday any longer?

Thanks!!!!

RiverDog

Reaction score
mikeak":3tpotwrp said:
First of all I am not looking for a mask, no mask, vaccine, no vaccine discussion. Please keep that out

My question is simple. Flying in for a home game this season. Planning on watching UW as well. Normally we go binge drinking, hitting bars all over the city and just have a grand time.

So for us that don't live in Seattle how is that part of visiting for GameDay weekend?

Should we expect at least on Sunday before game that bars are busy or what is the expectation here?

Thanks!!!!

I don't live in the Seattle area, but I've read where a lot of restaurants and bars there are requiring proof of vaccination.

The last time I was at a bar in Seattle back in June they did not allow any seating at the bar, sort of a downer for me.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Of course it’s fun. However, just be flexible since things are still changing. Some places are doing very well, while others have shut down. A labor shortage has caused the places still open to be on the slow and busy side. Reservations help. Most Restaurants, you wear a mask into be seated and then go at your own comfort level.

While I rarely go downtown anymore, we did attend Lumen for the scrimmage recently and had a blast.

I’m not the best source since I rarely go out for pleasure, but a Hawks game is always fun and I have found most local communities very vibrant over the last year while out working.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Thanks!

Yep saw article about bars requiring vaccine cars so will do that

Games are always fun. Just trying to help set expectations for me and others as it relates to the overall weekend

Any other input by people is greatly appreciated

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think until this Covid thing is on the way out, you’re going to see a scaled down version of what you are used to. I’ve noticed that some small businesses are closed a couple days a week due to staffing shortages or slow business on those particular days.

If you’ve been vaxxed I strongly encourage you to have your vaccination card with you as some places are requiring it in Seattle. Good luck and have fun.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I visited Seattle in March and July. Things were definitely more open in July, and the crowds were back. For reference, I usually travel to Seattle 5 or 6 times per year, staying 2 to 14 days at a time.

Probably the biggest difference I noted, from the pre-covid era, was the need to plan more in advance. Restaurants that I used to easily get into with no reservations required them several days in advance. Most of them had limited days and hours of service, and many were only open for dinner. The proliferation of take out, and delivery was noticeable. I thought it was cool that we could get cocktails to go to take back to the hotel.

Some shops were limiting the number of shoppers, and so there were some lines to get into the more popular ones.

Be aware that several bars/ clubs were requiring reservations in March. In July, that was not the case, but that may be a consideration again if beer bug numbers get worse.

Staffing levels were very low, so wait times for service were understandably increased.

Some of this will carry over to the downtown, game day experience. If you plan to hit any bars or restaurants before or after the game, it is probably worth checking their website, or giving them a call, so you aren't surprised.

In July, I never wore a mask, and I was never asked to put one on, except at one ice cream joint, and at the Nike store. I was never asked to show a vax card. YMMV. It is probably a good idea to have a mask in your pocket, just in case. The ice cream joint didn't have masks to hand out. (Like the OP, I'm not interested in discussing the pros/cons, just stating the facts of my visits)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is gameday, which is a key money maker for all service oriented businesses. They will definitely adjust their staff to be as open as possible. If you bring a little extra patience, you should have a great time.

AgentDib

Reaction score
You'll probably want to check right before your trip as things have been changing quickly. In my area things went from assuming everybody is vaccinated/no masks, to masks indoors again, to now some places requiring vaccine cards. It could change the other way too it just depends on the current rates and politics around them. Obviously the nightlife will be quieter the more stuff is locked down.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Norcalhawklover":1u0yxyv9 said:
What about the sporting girl situation? Just kidding.

I had to drive Aurora twice a day in July. Their number, and brazenness have both increased remarkably, in response to changes in KCPO/SPD policy. Several appeared to be unable to afford clothes, anymore. :lol: It was very reminiscent of the heyday in the 80's and 90's

pmedic920

Reaction score
Seattle is always fun as long as you have the ability to ignore or overlook a few things…..

….. (example)
Human poop in the corner of downtown doorways.
Dirty (used) syringes in the gutters.
Homeless folks begging for $/food.

I/we love Seattle and always have a great time.
Generally when we go, we spend a lot of time on foot downtown and have grown accustomed to the above and don’t consider them unique to Seattle.

We haven’t been to Seattle since COVID but have traveled fairly extensively within the US, I don’t think any inconveniences would be of the major type.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak said:

Yes, all bars and restaurants AS OF NOW are fully open and allowed to be at capacity. At least the ones that can find staff, so some might have abbreviated hours depending on staffing.

Yes, I'd expect all the surrounding bars and restaurants to be very busy all weekend for home games. Expect that, and expect to mask up and maybe be required to show your vaccination card. Last I saw almost 150 bars and restaurants were requiring proof now, and I can only assume that number will grow.

Go, have fun, this is how it's gonna be. Be prepared and roll with it.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
in 20 years downtown has gone from cool to a 3rd world shithole. I used to spend around 5 thousand a month entertaining clients downtown. I now refuse to drive there or spend one single dollar. I even cancelled my 4 season tickets with the new hockey club. I wont subsidize the idiotic policies of the Seattle City council by spending money downtown. let it become Detroit. its well on its way.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
I get the sense that it's as fun and as open as you want it to be i.e. there are places that are being more careful, which is great if you are being more careful, and there are places that are pretty much as normal as you'd expect i.e. lots of patrons, and while masks are required in King County, they can be removed for eating and drinking which is most of the folks in some of these establishments.

Same deal with proof of vaccination -- some places require it, and some do not, so in some sense you can self select.

It is absolutely true for restaurants that many have staffing issues so you may need to plan more than you have in the past.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I used to love going to Seattle for a weekend get away. People would ask me where I vacation, I would say Seattle and they would laugh. But I freaking loved it!

But why even consider going there now? Its like a little Afganastsn. Vacation to a state that is wide open that you can actually enjoy.

I was sking at Silver Mountin last winter and ran into some folks who were from Chicago. I asked why they traveled to Idaho (of all places)? They said because it was open. They loved it. Why vacation to a jail cell?

But to answer your question...No, its not fun. I would rather travel to an away game and enjoy the Vaca as well!

Latest posts