Is George Fant the #1 TE? (snaps counts)

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
chris98251":2otx7c62 said:
A-Dog":2otx7c62 said:
George Fant's role at TE is one of the best and most interesting stories of the season.

I think people forget that Fant has elite (top 1%) athleticism for an offensive tackle - he profiled very similarly to Trent Williams in his pre-draft testing. Cable was a terrible coach for us but there's a reason they invested in the Fant experiment.

Sure, you can say the Seahawks' run-first offense is boring, but putting a 6th offensive lineman that plays in more than just the short yardage/goal line package is pretty innovative in a league that is as pass-heavy as it's ever been, when defensive coordinators play with 5 defensive backs in their base defense and are loading up on athletic, lightweight pass rushers to go after those mobile QBs who are putting up historic numbers. The fact that there are very few offensive lineman as athletic as Fant (which he displayed by making a tough catch look easy) means it's not something that other teams can easily replicate.

Defense aren't built to stop this kind brute force offense any more. I love it. Only thing I wonder about is what Fant's contract negotiation will look like.

10 million a year best blocking TE in the game and will wear 88 :)

I fully support the number change! I mean... he's averaging 9yd/r right now.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
A-Dog":16qw6l3z said:
George Fant's role at TE is one of the best and most interesting stories of the season.

I think people forget that Fant has elite (top 1%) athleticism for an offensive tackle - he profiled very similarly to Trent Williams in his pre-draft testing. Cable was a terrible coach for us but there's a reason they invested in the Fant experiment.

Sure, you can say the Seahawks' run-first offense is boring, but putting a 6th offensive lineman that plays in more than just the short yardage/goal line package is pretty innovative in a league that is as pass-heavy as it's ever been, when defensive coordinators play with 5 defensive backs in their base defense and are loading up on athletic, lightweight pass rushers to go after those mobile QBs who are putting up historic numbers. The fact that there are very few offensive lineman as athletic as Fant (which he displayed by making a tough catch look easy) means it's not something that other teams can easily replicate.

Defense aren't built to stop this kind brute force offense any more. I love it. Only thing I wonder about is what Fant's contract negotiation will look like.

Boring? Boring? That rushing offense is a thing of beauty.

I'm not sure how any one can call himself a Seahawk fan and not love this offense. This is the epitome of Seahawk football. This is a franchise steeped in a "Lights out D/heavy on the rush/splash play on the pass" history. Even Holmgren had his best years when he eschewed his pass heavy WCO for a run heavy approach.

Krieg/Warner/Largent
Hass/Alexander/DJack
Wilson/Lynch/Baldwin
Wilson/Carson/Lockett

This may be the most Seahawkian year in franchise history. At least on the offensive side. I'm loving this as a big fan of smash mouth "we're bigger and badder than you" football.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not boring to me. This is old school smash mouth football. Knock them in the teeth, tell them you're going to run the ball and they can't stop it. Anything BUT boring.

hawk45

Reaction score
All praise be to Solari.

Cable takes a player with athleticism and no experience and says "starting LT" and I hate the results.

Solari takes the same player and uses him as a hybrid TE/6th OL and all of a sudden I'm excited and happy when Fant is in.

So nice to have a good fit so we don't have to console ourselves about poor play with the "good story" fig leaf.

And if Fant ever ends up back at tackle I won't hate it because I'll trust Solari to actually evaluate and develop.

edogg23

Reaction score
Not trying to thread jack but I found the fact in that tweet that the Bandit defense is making a comeback under Carrol just as interesting! Pete seemed to have success with it his first year coaching here and I always wondered why they seemed to completely abandon it. Anything to keep the other team off balance is a good thing IMO.