PFF Player Rankings Ahead of Week 14

Ozzy

Reaction score
I thought Purdy’s line is middle of the pack? If that’s true it’s a little misleading to say he is never pressured?

renofox

Reaction score
I thought Purdy’s line is middle of the pack? If that’s true it’s a little misleading to say he is never pressured?
I think what some are saying is that the Shanny offensive scheme is designed with A LOT of quick passes meaning Purdy can't get pressured on most of his dropbacks.

cymatica

Reaction score
Not surprising though, considering we were usually picking near the bottom of the first, or trading back. This is the [logical] end result.
KC hasn't had that problem, probably because they aren't dumb enough to pass on players like Humphrey

knownone

Reaction score
It would be misleading to say he's never pressured. But no one made that claim. So, isn't your characterization misleading?

Similarly, I wasn't even referring to QB pressures. "High-pressure situation" was about him rarely playing from behind, where he had to make difficult throws and carry the offense in obvious pass situations. He's been in four close games in the fourth quarter. He's 1-3 in games, with 3 TDs and 5 INTs.

flv2

Reaction score
You have to use difference makers intelligently for them to be effective difference makers, at least on offense. Giving a person who doesn't know how to cook very well a $25,000 Viking stove doesn't make the person a great cook, and it also doesn't make the stove something less than amazing, even if it's not being used even close to its full potential.
I agree, but I don't want to sidetrack the thread by commenting about the coaching staff.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It would be misleading to say he's never pressured. But no one made that claim. So, isn't your characterization misleading?

Similarly, I wasn't even referring to QB pressures. "High-pressure situation" was about him rarely playing from behind, where he had to make difficult throws and carry the offense in obvious pass situations. He's been in four close games in the fourth quarter. He's 1-3 in games, with 3 TDs and 5 INTs.
I figured we were speaking figuratively and that would be understood. Yes I know no one is suggesting never in the literal sense.

I’ve watched them play a few times and every times he’s impressed me by making a handful of plays in almost every game that were off script, progressing through reads, clutch 3/4th down throws etc. I think he’s much better than people are giving him credit for and it’s hard to be leading in almost every category and not at times have to make a play or two.

Can he carry the offense? I don’t know it’s a vague concept that people can manipulate to fit whatever narrative they want. I think they’re much better with Purdy than they are with Lance, Darnold etc so he’s obviously contributing something

knownone

Reaction score
I figured we were speaking figuratively and that would be understood. Yes I know no one is suggesting never in the literal sense.

I’ve watched them play a few times and every times he’s impressed me by making a handful of plays in almost every game that were off script, progressing through reads, clutch 3/4th down throws etc. I think he’s much better than people are giving him credit for and it’s hard to be leading in almost every category and not at times have to make a play or two.

Can he carry the offense? I don’t know it’s a vague concept that people can manipulate to fit whatever narrative they want. I think they’re much better with Purdy than they are with Lance, Darnold etc so he’s obviously contributing something
Fair enough. Just remember that misleading carries a negative connotation. And without explaining why it's misleading, besides the exaggeration, it reads like you are trying to discredit my opinion.

Sure. In this thread, I said I think Purdy is a good quarterback. My point was that where Purdy ranks in terms of PFF might be skewed by how little he's asked to perform in high-pressure situations. PFF is all about the sample. If your QB is rarely under challenging conditions where he has to force throws to win games, his sample will look cleaner than someone on a lousy team constantly battling to stay in games. Here's a good example: Purdy has had a single game-winning drive in his entire career. He's had three opportunities this season and came up short everytime.

People can manipulate anything to fit a narrative. This is a sports forum. We're trying to communicate our subjective ideas to each other. So, we can define abstract concepts to make them more concrete. For example, without Deebo and Williams, the Niners offense struggled. Now, let's define carrying the offense. We can use Allen and Mahomes as examples by comparing their passing attempts per game with Purdy's. Purdy is dead last in PA/game at 28. He averages ten fewer passes than Mahomes (38) and eight fewer than Allen (36).

I've established criteria for a QB carrying the offense by providing a concrete measurement. You may disagree with it. That's fine. But there's nothing vague about it because you know exactly what I'm using and can provide an argument against it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Fair enough. Just remember that misleading carries a negative connotation. And without explaining why it's misleading, besides the exaggeration, it reads like you are trying to discredit my opinion.

Sure. In this thread, I said I think Purdy is a good quarterback. My point was that where Purdy ranks in terms of PFF might be skewed by how little he's asked to perform in high-pressure situations. PFF is all about the sample. If your QB is rarely under challenging conditions where he has to force throws to win games, his sample will look cleaner than someone on a lousy team constantly battling to stay in games. Here's a good example: Purdy has had a single game-winning drive in his entire career. He's had three opportunities this season and came up short everytime.

People can manipulate anything to fit a narrative. This is a sports forum. We're trying to communicate our subjective ideas to each other. So, we can define abstract concepts to make them more concrete. For example, without Deebo and Williams, the Niners offense struggled. Now, let's define carrying the offense. We can use Allen and Mahomes as examples by comparing their passing attempts per game with Purdy's. Purdy is dead last in PA/game at 28. He averages ten fewer passes than Mahomes (38) and eight fewer than Allen (36).

I've established criteria for a QB carrying the offense by providing a concrete measurement. You may disagree with it. That's fine. But there's nothing vague about it because you know exactly what I'm using and can provide an argument against it.
No one is discrediting your opinion and I don’t mean you were twisting evidence to fit your narrative. My point it’s an unknown and hard to tell so we can be doing it in some regards, myself included

I think Purdy is a really good QB. I acknowledge he may be more a product of his environment and understand people feeling that way. He’s just impressed me when I’ve watched him play. That’s really all it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Somehow it reflects their mediocre record

Mediocre talent , mediocre coaching = mediocre record
That's just it. Assuming that these analysts are objective and don't let the color of the jersey influence their grading, they come out eerily similar to what the team's actual results are.

Latest posts