Is Carolina the new San Francisco

rideaducati

Reaction score
carolinablue":1jhcrerf said:
Polaris":1jhcrerf said:
carolinablue":1jhcrerf said:
Polaris":1jhcrerf said:
Now you are quibbling and not very well at that. He SAID we hadn't allowed a 100yard rusher since last year and that's absolutely true. I also point out that (esp for Carolina) 135 yards on the ground is actually pretty poor. It was Cam's late game passing heroics that won the game earlier this year, not Carolina's run game, so his basic point is valid. Teams simply don't run very well at all against Seattle's defense.

Edit: Actually it does matter if one person does it or multiple ones. 30 yards of that 135 Carolina got in Seattle was from Cam and most of those weren't designed runs. I am not saying that Carolina won't crack the 100yard rush barrier, but that doesn't constituted a 'successful' running game. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carolina fail to maintain that streak either. Minny's running game is better than Carolina's (sorry but it is, Peterson is that good) and Seattle completely stuffed Peterson not once but twice....and that was in December-January, not October.
Right but he was responding to a guy who SAID that we'd had 20+games straight with over 100 yards rushing. He changed the original argument which is not how you're supposed to debate stuff. I just brought the conversation back to the original premise.
Also Peterson may individually be better than Jonathan Stewart but Stewart is no slouch. And Stewart has something that AP didn't have and that's Cam. When you have to defend the read option with Cam/Stewart, I'd argue that it's much tougher to do that than to stop one man in AP.

You do understand that the first time you faced us that Seattle didn't have Wagner playing MLB right? Do you think that might make a little bit of difference in our ability to defend the read option? Also given that our first team offenses and defenses do practice against each other (not true for most NFL teams), do you think that our defense hasn't figured out ways to counter the read option given that they PRACTICE AGAINST one of the best read option QBs in the game?

Just sayin'
Wagner will help but honestly with our offense he's not the one that matters most when defending the read option. It's the defensive ends, outside linebackers and sometimes safeties that are having to make the tackle. And your offense doesn't have the amount of read option plays that we run at least from what I've seen.

Our QB doesn't crave all the attention so he usually hands the ball to the guys that are paid to run the ball and only runs when he reads the end crashing down. Cam runs the ball into bad situations and will end up having a shorter career than he would if he could actually run the read option well. As of now, Cam makes poor decisions but being big and young he is able to get away with those poor decisions. Father time will start making his presence known to Cam pretty soon.

Wagner does have a pretty big impact against the panther read option because Cam runs up the middle a lot.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
All of this is great and all but as Carolina is losing key players we have Chancellor in shape, Lane back (no Cary Williams) and Wagner back. There isn't going to be any of those ridiculous 80 yard drives by Cam this time. We're coming for you kitties and it won't be pretty.

carolinablue

Reaction score
Hawkpower":23kuaa74 said:
No I hear you. Thats a cool scenario.

I just think you should worry about GETTING there first and foremost....and pulling for Seattle as an opponent over MINNESOTA is a strange wish if that is your ultimate goal.

I understand your point though.
I'm not taking anything for granted. Just because I expect us to win doesn't mean we can't lose. I've just enjoyed our games against you guys (even the losses) and your team is the defending NFC champs so a win would mean more to me than a win against Minnesota or Arizona. As Ric Flair used to say all the time "To be the man, you have to beat the man."

Even if I weren't a fan of either of these teams I would look forward to watching this game.

carolinablue

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3dh7rw39 said:
All of this is great and all but as Carolina is losing key players we have Chancellor in shape, Lane back (no Cary Williams) and Wagner back. There isn't going to be any of those ridiculous 80 yard drives by Cam this time. We're coming for you kitties and it won't be pretty.
You're kind of cute so I'm going to ask you nicely to leave my kitties alone plz.

carolinablue

Reaction score
rideaducati":3uj1b1hj said:
Our QB doesn't crave all the attention so he usually hands the ball to the guys that are paid to run the ball and only runs when he reads the end crashing down. Cam runs the ball into bad situations and will end up having a shorter career than he would if he could actually run the read option well. As of now, Cam makes poor decisions but being big and young he is able to get away with those poor decisions. Father time will start making his presence known to Cam pretty soon.

Wagner does have a pretty big impact against the panther read option because Cam runs up the middle a lot.
I'm hoping as Cam progresses he doesn't have to rely on his legs as much but I'm not as worried about him taking the hits as I normally would be because he's just so damn big. And he does pretty well with the read option I think considering we're the #2 rushing offense in the league.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
carolinablue":288oygk6 said:
MizzouHawkGal":288oygk6 said:
You're kind of cute so I'm going to ask you nicely to leave my kitties alone plz.
You can but we're coming for you like a freight train. Sorry but the Seahawks have some unfinished business and you have no secondary left while facing a quarterback that owns your team. We lurve Charlotte.

On a personal note I love the Carolina's, beautiful country and awesome BBQ even though its the polar opposite of KC and the St Louis versions.

Polaris

Reaction score
carolinablue":3r7elzrm said:
rideaducati":3r7elzrm said:

I'm hoping as Cam progresses he doesn't have to rely on his legs as much but I'm not as worried about him taking the hits as I normally would be because he's just so damn big. And he does pretty well with the read option I think considering we're the #2 rushing offense in the league.

In the end it doesn't matter how big you are. The more hits you take, the faster your body will break down. There's a reason why most running backs become worthless after the age of 30. I'll grant that Newton is such a freak of nature that he'd gotten away with it so far, but that will only go so far. If Cam doesn't protect himself better, he's not going to be able to act as a running back for much longer. IMHO Wilson has the much sounder approach to the dual threat QB.

carolinablue

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2ehkxlw5 said:
carolinablue":2ehkxlw5 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2ehkxlw5 said:
You can but we're coming for you like a freight train. Sorry but the Seahawks have some unfinished business and you have no secondary left while facing a quarterback that owns your team. We lurve Charlotte.
First off, a freight train versus kitties is plain unfair and sadistic.

Secondly, I was unaware that Russell Wilson bought out Jerry Richardson. I believe that constitutes a conflict of interest and I will be forwarding this thread to Roger Goodell for further investigation.

And last but not least, Charlotte is a great town just make sure your purse is no larger than 24"x24" or it will be confiscated at the airport.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Nope. Carolina is their own team. No need to transfer rivalries. We can have more than one.

MrHoenhiem

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":v3rdxk4w said:

Hmm you're mostly right about injuries, but keep in mind Jonathan Stewart and Ted Ginn (Please don't drop the damn ball!) will be back most likely as well. So basically we have only lost Bene and Tillman since that game , it will be a tough test for the replacement DBs not named josh norman.

but I wouldn't say you can guarantee anything in this game that's coming up. We'll see what happens on Sunday. All excuses and past records are out when game starts!!

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
253hawk":blko4v2g said:
Nah. 49ers fans brag about stuff they won in the past, Panthers fans brag about stuff they haven't even won yet.

This

dogorama

Reaction score
The Great Hawktini":18lkzjgv said:
I get they have a great team this year, they seem to be crowning a dynasty before they have won a playoff game.

There was a poster talking about being NFC champs. I reminded him that the Seahawks are the defending two-time NFC champs and will remain so until someone beats them. I got called every name in the book, threatened with violent homosexual sex, and then banned. I am being totally serious when I tell you that they have their own brand of profanity that is downright disconcerting. It felt like some sort of weird online "Deliverance" scene. Bizarre.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I live in Missouri and until you "Show Me" I believe we will be playing in Santa Clara February 7th against the Kansas City Chiefs. It's that simple. Seriously.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The "New San Francisco" won't be the Kitties, although there may be somewhat of a "Brady/Manning" feel to this rivalry.

The "New San Francisco" will be the Rams in another year or two. Historic organization with a bunch of new, novice, bandwagon fans. Dominant defense that can actually give us a run for the money. Divisional rival. Whiny coach that is easy to hate. Generally younger players with plenty of career ahead of them. Players and coaches who are easy to hate, even if you sometimes have to begrudgingly respect their game.

Now that thy are unleashed from needing to lose to suit Kroenke's goals, these guys are going to be a real force in the NFL.

Unlike the Cards and the Panthers, the Rams hit all the buttons necessary to replace San Francisco.

The Cards are aging, and for the most part are really difficult to dislike. Does anyone here really have a visceral dislike for Fitz? Palmer? I know a lot of folks hate Arians, but most of the players are likeable, I think the dude is hilarious. The Cards fans are generally likeable (I expect the new LA Rams fans to be insufferable).

The Panthers aren't divisional rivals. We don't even play them every year, even though we have played a lot. Cam is an insufferable douche, so there is that, but does anybody really hate Ron Rivera? They play a clean, honest, hard hitting game. Their fans are generally respectful, although a one-loss season does bring the riff-raff out of the woodworks.

Sure, I love beating the Cards and the Kitties, but nothing quite as sublime as beating the Niners. I expect the Rams will be that team in the future

-bsd

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
This is fun! A thread starting about fans, then turning into football discussion.

It's like going to a fight and a hockey game breaking out! :lol:

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
253hawk":id2mf7si said:
Nah. 49ers fans brag about stuff they won in the past, Panthers fans brag about stuff they haven't even won yet.

That was exactly my thought after reading one thread in particular at the Huddle.
There were some decent & knowledgeable posters there, but for those pulling the tired "Seahawks bandwagon" stuff, it was like, "Child, please. We were selling out the Kingdome on the regular for 19 years before your team even played its first game."
On top of that, the Seahawks & Bucs had to build their franchises from NOTHING. Other than the 1st & 2nd overall picks in the '76 Draft, we were literally given scraps to work with unlike the Panthers & Jags that were born with Silver Spoon rosters. I mean, BOTH of those teams were in their respective conference championships in only their second seasons.

Some of those clowns think they're gonna beat us by 30!

I'll be happy with a win no matter how small, but I really hope we can take these snot-nosed kids behind the woodshed for a good old-fashioned whoopin'. :les:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
razor150":1gpcwdtp said:
If there is a rivalry it is one sided all on their end. We've ended their season in the playoffs 3 different times, and they have never done the same to us. This year was the first time they have beaten us in probably a decade. If they beat us Sunday, then we can talk about a rivalry.

That's correct, and until then, they still have that monkey on their back.
They are NOT in the NFC West, and therefore NOT in the conversation at being rivals.
15 & 1 with an easy schedule is their only accolade.
Beating the Seahawks when they were floundering seems to be a big deal to their fans, but the Panthers will have to show they are capable of doing it with the Seahawks fully on the mend to garner the respect that their fans think they deserve, and even then?, Cam Newton will still be the same cocky asshole.

Rob12

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1ke3vzmb said:
I don't mind their fans. Their fans should be cocky, their team had a real good season. Can't stand the team though, I think they have a lot of "fake tough guy" in them.

No, they really shouldn't.

15-1 is great and all, but when you do it against the easiest schedule in the league, I'm going to reserve judgment until they go through the gauntlet in the playoffs.

Cam Newton struggles against top 10 defenses. That is a fact. Our defense is entirely healthy. In Week 6, it wasn't. We had Cary Williams, a guy Michael Bennett basically called out for torpedoing the season early on, and we were missing Wagner and Lane. That's not the case anymore. The defense is more cohesive now, and the stakes are much higher.

Carolina does not scare me one bit. Maybe I'll eat those words come Sunday. But they just don't scare me at all. Their fans should keep their yaps quiet until their team actually beats us in the playoffs. But I'm reading a whole bunch of arrogance filled garbage and I am not sure why.

The Seahawks are going to win. There's not a single doubt in my mind.