Is Bevell to blame for much of this teams discontent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
AVL":1vwk8ljs said:
Why is there some social requirement for ultra negative emotion to a super bowl loss. It seem to be that losing the game the pervious week would have been worse, and the week before that even more so but, no, let's take the fun and honor of playing the final game away and just go mental and pretend gambling powers don't control the outcome to begin with.
Yes, 2 straight NFC Championship titles is indeed something to crow about. I agree!

Seymour

Reaction score
AVL":xh4kg1y9 said:
Why is there some social requirement for ultra negative emotion to a super bowl loss. It seem to be that losing the game the pervious week would have been worse, and the week before that even more so but, no, let's take the fun and honor of playing the final game away and just go mental and pretend gambling powers don't control the outcome to begin with.

Now this is one confusing post. You say people are taking the fun and excitement out of a game that the outcome was decided before it was played by Vegas gambling??
Do you realize that makes zero sense?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
RiverDog":156yai5g said:
vin.couve12":156yai5g said:
This maybe...yardage and circumstance are different, but this is the quick on the numbers you want. Either way I think you can only net half a yard on the latter superbowl play at best. They just flat out knew it was coming.

The coaching staff didn't anticipate it because they had their run stopping package in there. But Butler certainly knew it was coming as he gambled and jumped the route.
Browner literally told Butler the spacing at which he needed to line up. They changed the angles in anticipation of it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3874fwuf said:
It depends if Kearse's jam on Browner rubs Butler off the play. If that happens and Russ hits him in the numbers, he easily scores.

I've always said if Kearse does his job its a Touchdown. He looked like he gave a half hearted attempt and we saw what happened next. I get mad every time I think about it.

Own The West

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":29yttcho said:
Own The West":29yttcho said:
If YOU lost the superbowl on a questionable call and the guy responsible said he wouldn't do anything different; would you feel comfortable letting him lead you in the future? I mean it sounds like he'd rather lose the superbowl than be questioned.

Even if he's the best coordinator that's ever lived; if the team doesn't trust him, he's useless.

If Bevell has lost the trust of this board, isn't it possible he's lost the trust of the team as well?
Because we score on that play 90 times out of 100. It was a good call for that defensive personnel group; the outcome sucked because we needed 1 of 3 things to happen and it didn't.

And don't be convinced that this board has unanimously lost faith in Bevell. Just a couple of naysayers who are overwhelmed by reality is all. Did you hear what the head coach said on this subject, by any chance?

I don't think this board has unanimously lost faith in Bevell. I think a good many people on this board have lost their faith in Bevell. Just like the Hawks.

There will be people like ADB that are thriving in this offense that will love it. But if I'm on this defense and see the offense put up single digit scores with this much talent, I'm not going to be so forgiving.

I think the league has solved our offense and we need a change. It's either Bevell or Cable and I only hear praise from the players about Cable, so Bevell it is.

mrt144

Reaction score
RiverDog":1tsoxbn0 said:
sdog1981":1tsoxbn0 said:
RiverDog":1tsoxbn0 said:
You're absolutely right about RW being at fault for being slightly off on that throw, and I'll add that rather than the numbers, he should have thrown it at his knees and made him go down for it. It's less likely to get batted into the air that way, which was my biggest fear of throwing over the middle in an area that's more congested than any other part of the field.

The defense wasn't blameless, though. Although Nash has a point about the defense being banged up, it's still no excuse for blowing a two score lead in the 4th quarter.

Boston has won 3 world series and they still talk about Buckner and 86

Yup. No matter how many fish you catch, you'll always remember the one that got away.

Vin Scully said it best - Losing feels worse than winning feels good.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
RiverDog":3jcbqa58 said:
vin.couve12":3jcbqa58 said:
This maybe...yardage and circumstance are different, but this is the quick on the numbers you want. Either way I think you can only net half a yard on the latter superbowl play at best. They just flat out knew it was coming.

The coaching staff didn't anticipate it because they had their run stopping package in there. But Butler certainly knew it was coming as he gambled and jumped the route.

Not true. Initially they were run stop - then they quickly shifted and that shift was confirmed by Belicihik He instantly recognized what the Hawks were attempting it in real time and communicated as such to his crew. (He was even confused they were trying something so stupid) Perhaps a more capable/experienced QB would have adjusted and did in audible to rock the D back on their heels but RW isn't that QB. He went ahead with a play that was already a clearly bad choice.

Horrible call. Poor execution. We were out-coached big time in those final seconds.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3d4o3bsy said:
He never three Lock under the bus. He said "we" could have gone harder to the ball. And that's exactly what needed to happen. I'm sure when they ran that play in practice 100 times prior, Lock's closing speed was slightly better.

And Lockette was third on the depth chart, so your post is erroneous.

Why does everyone on the planet know that "we" means Lockette since he is the only one running that route....except you? Just because he didn't use his name, does not mean he did not call him out. Grow some common sense.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":21r9ha2n said:
Siouxhawk":21r9ha2n said:
He never three Lock under the bus. He said "we" could have gone harder to the ball. And that's exactly what needed to happen. I'm sure when they ran that play in practice 100 times prior, Lock's closing speed was slightly better.

Why does everyone on the planet know that "we" means Lockette since he is the only one running that route....except you? Just because he didn't use his name, does not mean he did not call him out. Grow some common sense.
Sure it does. "We" signifies the team aspect, not an individual slight.
Look, I understand you live in a Kardashian type world where you thrive on drama. You've established that many times over. But the majority of the real world doesn't and certainly an NFL locker room doesn't.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":143463pu said:
RiverDog":143463pu said:
vin.couve12":143463pu said:

Not true. Initially they were run stop - then they quickly shifted and that shift was confirmed by Belicihik He instantly recognized what the Hawks were attempting it in real time and communicated as such to his crew. (He was even confused they were trying something so stupid) Perhaps a more capable/experienced QB would have adjusted and did in audible to rock the D back on their heels but RW isn't that QB. He went ahead with a play that was already a clearly bad choice.

Horrible call. Poor execution. We were out-coached big time in those final seconds.
Patriots had their heavy package in and were expecting a run. Perfect call for that situation; just slightly off on the execution.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":15y5z7io said:
Seymour":15y5z7io said:
Siouxhawk":15y5z7io said:

Sure it does. "We" signifies the team aspect, not an individual slight.
Look, I understand you live in a Kardashian type world where you thrive on drama. You've established that many times over. But the majority of the real world doesn't and certainly an NFL locker room doesn't.

The needless "drama" is created by you who refuses to acknowledge the obvious to any 5 year old. But don't let that slow you down. Continue on.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
nash72":2p6sftl0 said:
semiahmoo":2p6sftl0 said:
Yes, one of the worst play calls of all time. Especially since it didn't fool Belichick one bit. He recognized the play within seconds of our offense lining up and had their defense adjusting. He even seemed confused the Hawks were attempting something so dumb. (This was on a recap of the Super Bowl show a couple years back where they had sideline footage of both coaches.)

We should have gone smashmouth. Their D was tired. Marshawn wanted the ball.

Bevell tried to get cute and we lost the game. He's been carrying the baggage of that play call with him ever since.

The only answer I can conceive is that Pete and Darrell panicked when Belichick didn't call a timeout. and went blank.
That's exactly what happened. They panicked.

canfan

Reaction score
I haven't looked on this site for a while. Nice to see its just like a soap opera.....you can go away for months and the story line hasn't moved one bit. This used to be a place I came to learn about the team I cheer for. Now it is nothing more than a futile exercise in assigning blame for disappointed expectations. Where did all the posters go from 4 or 5 years ago that used to talk football? Seriously, where did they go? I want that site back, because this one is starting to seriously annoy me. Don't bother blasting me, I likely won't be back for a while. I plan to enjoy my football experience, so it will mean spending much less time here.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
canfan":2k00khe2 said:
I haven't looked on this site for a while. Nice to see its just like a soap opera.....you can go away for months and the story line hasn't moved one bit. This used to be a place I came to learn about the team I cheer for. Now it is nothing more than a futile exercise in assigning blame for disappointed expectations. Where did all the posters go from 4 or 5 years ago that used to talk football? Seriously, where did they go? I want that site back, because this one is starting to seriously annoy me. Don't bother blasting me, I likely won't be back for a while. I plan to enjoy my football experience, so it will mean spending much less time here.
Well said.

NINEster

Reaction score
Look at this Belichick film analysis of SB 49, very first play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibtqe6wyayw

I thought BB had brilliant defensive scheme to stop Lynch on this one particular run.

Then at the end of the game, he had goal line against "11 personnel"......no guarantees the Hawk were gonna get the W running it. Listen to his comment at around 1:35.

nash72

Reaction score
canfan":x6dax5za said:
Where did all the posters go from 4 or 5 years ago that used to talk football? Seriously, where did they go? .

Their souls died just like our chances to win after the SB49 call.

mrt144

Reaction score
Point blank - its hard to have any meaningful or constructive conversations when the following are in play

1. We've returned the vast majority of starters on our team YoY for several years - there is no intrigue of big gains by discounted players, it's all about players that were here in 2013-2014 and new additions playing up to the level the team showed in 2013 and 2014.

2. Coaching turnover has only nipped our DC position so there's no intrigue there.

3. Any inflection point to ask if the team could do a better job in any regard is met with objection from whatever faction is under the scope for improvement. Bevell defenders, Cable defenders, RW defenders, Defense defenders, JS defenders, etc etc all tell you in one way or another that if you don't think their pet cause is perfect you have a problem with PC. It's a function of falling in love with an aspect of the team that was present during the height of success and assigning blame outward away from their pet cause as if the issues with one part of the team don't spill over to others.

4. The team hasn't changed nearly enough schematically to have meaningful X and O conversations. What if we did X or Y or Z don't have any traction because the Seahawks will never waver too far from A, B and C. We could point out alternatives and what other teams do until we're lime green in the face and it won't make one iota of a difference from anything we see on the field. It's not even fun to speculate because you know outside of 4 or 5 plays per season, you are digesting the same stuff you did in previous seasons.

Basically the team has stagnated from the view point of fan intrigue even if the results are solid. The novelty of 2012 and 2013 are long gone and what we have to discuss is so much of what we already know and feel given the lack of roster and coaching upheaval.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
nash72":3w2dwr7h said:
canfan":3w2dwr7h said:
Where did all the posters go from 4 or 5 years ago that used to talk football? Seriously, where did they go? .

Their souls died just like our chances to win after the SB49 call.
Or it could be due to posts such as this.

nash72

Reaction score
mrt144":14h8ly4j said:
4. The team hasn't changed nearly enough schematically to have meaningful X and O conversations. What if we did X or Y or Z don't have any traction because the Seahawks will never waver too far from A, B and C. We could point out alternatives and what other teams do until we're lime green in the face and it won't make one iota of a difference from anything we see on the field. It's not even fun to speculate because you know outside of 4 or 5 plays per season, you are digesting the same stuff you did in previous seasons.

This is a good point. Somebody on here said it best when they said that Pete runs the team like the team he wants rather than the team we have. Its not 2013 and we cant depend on the defense to pull our fat out of the fire all the time anymore. The most baffling thing I ever witnessed was how the offense changed in the latter part of 2015 and we excelled, but it went right back to the same old philosophy last season when we were worse off than the year before. We had an injured QB, injured RB's, and the worst Oline in the NFL and we're still running the zone read stuff in which the other team knows there is no shot that Wilson is going to take off. Its like running into the same brick wall over and over again thinking somehow your going to break through. Thats a big reason why fans get infuriated. You need to adapt.

mrt144

Reaction score
nash72":26gn322z said:
mrt144":26gn322z said:

This is a good point. Somebody on here said it best when they said that Pete runs the team like the team he wants rather than the team we have. Its not 2013 and we cant depend on the defense to pull our fat out of the fire all the time anymore. The most baffling thing I ever witnessed was how the offense changed in the latter part of 2015 and we excelled, but it went right back to the same old philosophy last season when we were worse off than the year before. We had an injured QB, injured RB's, and the worst Oline in the NFL and we're still running the zone read stuff in which the other team knows there is no shot that Wilson is going to take off. Its like running into the same brick wall over and over again thinking somehow your going to break through. Thats a big reason why fans get infuriated. You need to adapt.

I said that. Me. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.