I'm telling you, heat was a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I think we can both agree that making sure you drink enough water plays a huge role when it comes to vigorous exercise in high temperatures though, Endzorn. :) Something that some of our guys clearly didn't do, unfortunately.

Rainger

Reaction score
TRIODEROB":170nlap3 said:
Charger fan here-

everyone said you guys were a bad match up for us but we were a bad match up for you.

this time of year San Diego gets about 2-3 horrible weather days.

your bad luck was that you got the worst day and the worst time of the whole year.

the stadium is very hot inside on a day like that - its brutal

combine that with the fact you were playing a ball control team with a Q-back at his peak in that function and you guys were doomed - we had the advantage over you.

on the other hand you still have a super talented team and a ring

just shows that football is like boxing - styles make fights
Love this well said.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
rastahawk":1ybo4t0s said:
Really that's your argument and then an internet graphic of a guy holding a thermometer in Greenland bwahahahaha... I've seen meme's more believable.
"That guy" is the founding weather editor of USA Today, and far from a nobody or random person in a meme. He posed for that picture to make a point, one you clearly don't understand despite it being spelled out for you very plainly. I said this to you before but you clearly have no interest in doing so, nevertheless I'll say it again: educate yourself.

http://weatherjackwilliams.com/about-jack/

chris98251

Reaction score
So are we done with the everyone argue with Roland thread, he won't change his mind you know. it's like an Apple Computer, you can expect it to run Windows very well.

Also the Heat wasn't the initial problem, I do believe it was hotter in the stadium, the compounded dehydration of being on the field so long and then the muscle and mental fatigue due to playing so much and losing hydration and the subtle heat stroke symptoms start to creep in mentally. That why I think we saw so many stupid errors later in the game BTW.

You can add hydration via IV and water, but the effects are not instantaneous if you have lost too much and you still go back out and start the cycle again before your body has recovered.

rastahawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":246ktmo5 said:
rastahawk":246ktmo5 said:
Really that's your argument and then an internet graphic of a guy holding a thermometer in Greenland bwahahahaha... I've seen meme's more believable.
"That guy" is the founding weather editor of USA Today, and far from a nobody or random person in a meme. He posed for that picture to make a point, one you clearly don't understand despite it being spelled out for you very plainly. I said this to you before but you clearly have no interest in doing so, nevertheless I'll say it again: educate yourself.

http://weatherjackwilliams.com/about-jack/

hehe the graphic was the non-substantive part of my post. Or did that completely go over your head? You harp on and on about weather taking protocol then divert to the credentials of a guy in a photo in Greenland to save face. Stop trying to be academic about everything. The original post was about how heat was a factor (a possible deciding one) then you turn around and try to tell us that it wasn't as hot as we think it was, sourcing data that is broad and general in nature. Then try to defend it like we all don't know what we're talking about and that somehow you're the educated one. Yep that's about as academic as it gets. Tad delusional too. Classic you from what I gathered in the past. Nice playing with you but you're a bit too whiny for my sand box.

Rainger

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":287dj5zi said:
rainger":287dj5zi said:
Of course it was. Not the only factor, but anyone who says it was not a factor is delusional.
Nobody has said that in this thread, myself included.
Sorry Roland but I really think you have taken this whole thing way too personal trying to PROVE your point with weather.

First off my comment was a general one. It was not directed at you or any one in particular. But having gone through most of your posts I don't really think you understand "official" weather recordings and actual ones.

The "official " recordings for temperatures in most countries in the world are taken at the local airport. The recording device is buried 4 feet below the ground surface in an open air hole out of the direct sunlight. The Idea is to create a "standard". If all airports use the same system then a standard can be created. However the standard everywhere in the world results in temperature's far less than the actual temperature of someone say standing amongst the pavement in downtown Brisbane Australia vs the Brisbane airport near Moreton Bay. (I know I have been there over many years)

In SD, at the airport, near the sea, in a hole, 4 feet down, it is guaranteed that the posted temperatures on the government or other weather site will be considerably less than standing in the direct sun in a open paved parking lot or on the field of an enclosed stadium with no shade. I know you kept talking about direct sunlight when looking at the Fox thermometer, however it is that exact direct sunlight that the thermometer was in that the players were subject to playing in. Which means they were having to deal with 118 degree weather. Regardless of what the official temp was.

Your posting all the "official" temps are fine for "official temps' However they are all bullshit. Move only 1 or two miles inland and be in open sun and with other environmental factors and the temp can be 40 plus degrees more than the "official" temp as recorded at the airport.

anyways all of this mental discussion is irrelevant. The Chargers were better equipped for the conditions, played a better game and we lost, end of story.

Melencause

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":23i3319o said:
Cartire":23i3319o said:
I keep reading all these threads.

Doom and gloom
Bevell blaming
Overlooking

Yada yada yada

Honestly, the biggest factor was heat. I was there. I felt it. I almost died in it.

I understand that SD played in the same heat. And it was unusually high for even SD standards. But it was the biggest factor.

-Our guys were not acclimated to it. It was noticeable from the beginning.
Jesus. It's not an excuse for anything, and how much it affects you is more mental/psychosomatic than anything else. Ever wonder how people in cold winter climates can wear t-shirts and shorts and barbecue outside in spring when it's 50 degrees out, but native southern Californians wear parkas, mittens, and scarfs in that temperature? You don't think they actually develop some magical skin covering or enzyme that makes the weather affect them less, do you? It affected some guys way more than others, and most of the ones affected by it most negatively, it didn't have to. The actual temperature also never got even close to 115 degrees.

-Signed, someone who has lived in Phoenix, Miami, Wisconsin, and Seattle.

Actually you do become adjusted to different conditions. Its called Acclimatization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclimatization

-Signed, someone who has lived in Tampa, Chicago, Iceland, New Orleans, Seattle, and San Diego.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I give up. The Chargers aren't used to playing in hotter-than-average temperatures there either, but every team has to play in hot outdoor conditions on the road once in a while as well, and at least half our team spent high school and/or college playing in VERY hot parts of the country.

Of course acclimatization happens, I didn't say otherwise, I said it's not an EXCUSE for anything such as losing the game, and that you can handle it a lot better being mentally prepared for it, part of which is hydrating properly - something a few of our guys didn't do, which is simply inexcusable. If you have to drink a GALLON of water between walking back out on the field, do it.

Really though, I'll just give up on this thread at this point. Excuse away, boys. Whatever it takes to remove accountability from our players for the loss. "Roland, YOU WEREN'T THERE, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW HOT IT WAS!"

Pete Carroll, who spent a decade at USC, doesn't know how to prepare for hot weather games! IT ALL MAKES SENSE, NOW!

*exits stage left*

Rainger

Reaction score
Acclimatization oh shit yes. Used to sail in February in Victoria BC in a t-shirt, no problem. Went to Brisbane Australia for 10 years, Got use to the heat there came back to Victoria and froze to death for 2 plus years. Now I die whenever I go back to Brisbane, cant handle the heat.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Man this thread got awesome, I love how someone who lives in Seattle is trying to school those who live in San Diego on the weather down there.

I love how at least 5 different people gave their own personal accounts of actually being at the game or close to the stadium.

I love how two people actually providing visual evidence of temperatures reading at 115+.

I feel like I'm looking at the eye test of the game and the players look out of their element and uncomfortable seemingly affected by the weather. I'm going to believe the Pro side of the heat debate.

I don't know why its such a big deal to Roland, really. No one here was saying that the heat was the main excuse as to why we loss, the Chargers played great and got the lucky breaks, while the Seahawks played sloppy at times and couldn't get themselves off the field or sustain long drives.

But to say heat wasn't a factor and an edge for the Chargers, are being somewhat vain and its most likely because they don't want other fanbases to think that some of us here are making the easy excuse.

But c'mon how can anyone read through this whole thread and think otherwise especially from the people giving actual PERSONAL ACCOUNTS OF BEING AT THE GAME.

I think its funny.

Funny how Fox Sports put up an air temperature reading of 95 degrees.

Funny how their Field Temperature with a LIVE reading of 118 degrees.

Funny, how they were actually at the Stadium taking the temperature and not using NWS whose gauge could have been no where near the Stadium.

Funny, how even though the Sun was shining directly on the Gauge , and it could not been as accurate argument still doesn't account for athletes running around at high energy levels directly in that sunlight, wearing pads, helmets, shoes, pants, jerseys, inside of stadium of 60, 000 people doesn't count for anything.

Just funny funny funny that the only reason someone is really arguing against the very logical points of people who were actually LIVE WITNESSES is because that don't want it to be an excuse.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":13pkvsj6 said:
Man this thread got awesome, I love how someone who lives in Seattle is trying to school those who live in San Diego on the weather down there.
Funny how you don't get it. :)

Laloosh

Reaction score
I probably lost 10 pounds on the walk from the tailgate to the front gate. No idea how that heat wouldn't affect our guys quite a bit. Dark jersey, not accustomed to that heat.

You guys can argue science all you like. That was a stifling heat on Sunday. Not so much on the few days prior.

Not to mention, Rivers was putting passes where his TE was the only one that could get to them and he had to one-hand a few of them. They played great. Rivers was fired up and he was in the zone. I didn't fully appreciate it until I saw some of the highlights upon returning home.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":387i8rqo said:
Pandion Haliaetus":387i8rqo said:

Oh I get... you're just providing this monumental counterargument to dignify the loss and being a little more graceful to the outsiders who might be looking in at our excuses and mini meltdowns (pun not intended).

I get ya ;)

Melencause

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":xxfp89zc said:
Pandion Haliaetus":xxfp89zc said:

Or maybe you don't? I don't think anyone is saying the hawks lost because of the heat. They started off playing poorly. Was heat a factor? Absolutely. You can have the strongest mental facilities in the world but that won't prevent heat exhaustion cramps (due to sweating out salts) etc. Your body can only absorb so much material through ingestion at a time and if the defense is on the field for 21min out of 30 that is 21 minutes of sweating out salts and water without a saline drip.
A 300lb guy in pads in heat absorptive colors is pumping out sweat at incredible rates...couple that with an offense that was dictating your ability to substitute and you have an compounding problem.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":j6ht7dhu said:
Just funny funny funny that the only reason someone is really arguing against the very logical points of people who were actually LIVE WITNESSES is because that don't want it to be an excuse.

And none of us are saying that the heat wasn't a factor.

The heat was a factor because our defense played undisciplined, stupid and didn't make plays..........therefore were on the field for 80% of the game. That's the only reason heat was a factor.

No one's talking about the heat if our defense plays the way they should have played. Period. End of discussion. Time to move on.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
volsunghawk":27jermx4 said:
Stage left is pretty damn shallow, huh? :mrgreen:
More like one little comment as I'm exiting the stage. Relax, I said I was done in this thread, and I am. :)

(With anything relevant to the thread itself, that is. Not poking back at you because you're trying to poke me in the eye with a twig.)

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1bl8cldp said:
volsunghawk":1bl8cldp said:
Stage left is pretty damn shallow, huh? :mrgreen:
More like one little comment as I'm exiting the stage. Relax, I said I was done in this thread, and I am. :)

(With anything relevant to the thread itself, that is. Not poking back at you because you're trying to poke me in the eye with a twig.)
:domotwak:

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Here is what I have to say about the heat

1. Regardless of whether or not the Chargers were "used to the heat" is irrelevant because they were wearing white jerseys and we had to wear dark jerseys. That fact alone gives them an advantage on a really hot day regardless of whether they are used to it or not. Not sure how much difference it makes but from personal experience I know it can be a huge difference in how hot it feels, and thats just in shorts.

2. The advantage to start the game probably was not much of a factor but when the defense could not stop the Chargers on 3rd down over and over the heat started to become more and more of an issue than not stopping a team on 3rd down would usually present from a conditioning standpoint.

3. The offense chewed up the first 5 minutes or so of the game before the D even set foot onto the field but basically after that point until halftime the offense barely had a chance to do anything to help the D out.

Chargers first drive they were 3/4 on 3rd down resulting in an 8 min drive

We get the ball back and on 3rd down and short decide to run a trick play for the first which ends up resulting in Harvin outrunning everyone for a TD. NOW....if they would of actually called this correctly we would of gotten the ball back and probably ran the clock down to the end of the first quarter and possibly a minute or two more after that giving the defense enough rest after they were just on the field for 8 minutes. When we scored there was only 1:30 or so left on the clock. My question is what would you have the offense do...purposely NOT score there regardless of the bad call..Should Harvin just take a knee so we can give the defense a break, PLEASE :roll: Whats funny is that the call most fans are giving the NFL and the Seahawks crap for is probably the Call that actually was a huge contributing factor to our loss because at that point it was only 3-0 and I believe where he stepped out was in FG range allready.

Chargers get the ball back and chew up 4 minutes or so. We get the ball back and do nothing and for whatever reason have Walters and Turbin in the game resulting in a 3rd and long and we have to give the ball right back.

From this point on the Chargers had the ball from about the 10 minute mark to 1:11 left in the half with Harvins fumble inbetween drives and Wilson drove down quick and scored right before halftime.

I really think that first half was a combination of a bunch of things that didnt go our way and that ultimately resulted in how close the game was and how we eventually lost. Coincidentally the two plays that had the largest impact IMO were both from Harvin. IF they rule Harvin out and he doesnt fumble this game is dramatically different.

I would not have been shocked if had they called Harvin out we do a few plays with Lynch running and end the first quarter. Run Lynch some more and do some other shorter plays and then finally score a TD. With the D rested a bit and having time to adjust and rest they stop the Chargers and the offense gets the ball back again and chews up more clock and scores making it a 14-3 game and on its way to being a blowout, but thats not how it played out OBV

Status
Not open for further replies.