I'm not a football guy but I play one on TV...

ivotuk

Reaction score
I grew up mostly in North Pole, Alaska and 7 people graduated from my HS Senior class. We didn't have enough people for basketball, let alone football.

Before that i lived in Kaktovik where 1st through 4th was in one room and 5th through 8th was in the other room. Our favorite sport was dog-mushing, followed closely by "Don't get eaten by the Polar Bear." which was the Adult's favorite.

So I'm just a fan that loves to read what people write on here and occasionally post my opinion for others to laugh at. :shock:

Hawks46

Reaction score
Popeyejones":14v5u78x said:
Not an expert by a long shot, but in that seemingly rarefied group of those who know enough to know what they don't know.

I coached HS ball for awhile. I watch all the games for three or four teams a year (always the 9ers, usually a division rival or two, and then another team who has piqued my interest that year), and try to catch all the other games I can. I've watched all the Hawks game for the past two years because they play a brand of football I enjoy and have some individual players who are a ton of fun to watch.

I tend to not watch the ball too much. What the O-line is doing is a much better guide to where your eyes should be going. On run plays I'll watch from the O-line into the second level. On pass plays I'll watch from the 0-line out to routes, and then scan back over to the QB after three seconds or so to see how he's working the pocket and pressure. Part of that is also because I don't watch All 22 -- it feels too much like work -- so it's more interesting to watch the pocket at that point anyway as TV angles aren't telling you much of anything at that point in a pass plays progression.

I like watching other teams as it gives you a better football perspective over all. Watching the Seahawks, it's hard not to be a fan, and almost impossible to not let emotion take control.

I know it sounds funny, but when I had DirecTV, I felt like I knew a bit more about football than just watching TV in a bar somewhere. I'd watch the Hawks game, and I would surf around to all the division rivals first, then teams that I either liked, or good matchups.

DirecTV was pretty nice because you can pause it, rewind it, and rewatch things. It's not All 22, but it's really good to be able to pause, rewind and rewatch. It's also ironic because watching as a fan, you're like "what the hell !? that should've been a flag/etc." Then you rewatch it and many times you realize it's marginal enough that you can understand why things weren't called.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I used to be a serious football X's & O's guy, but those days are passed. Coached varsity football and had a training camp internship a while ago and an interview with the Hawks for a full time internship that I didn't get. Life changed though and decided against the nomad coaching route.

Learn the basic concepts that everyone uses in one way or another, like Zone blocking, West Coast passing combos, Basic D coverages & fronts.

Good reads to get you started:

The Complete Idiots Guide to Football by Theisman is a good reference despite the ego check.

Arts & Sciences Quick Passing Game series is pretty good

Read Fritz Shurmur's team D book (his D-Line book is great too if you're interested)

Coaching the Multiple West Coast Offense - Jenkins

Watch all Alex GIbb's presentations

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... e+blocking

Once you get the universal concepts down, you'll be able to start seeing what ideas are being used and it will all come together. Don't worry about learning plays, just learn about the basic concepts and then you'll be able to identify things a lot easier and faster.

I MIGHT have a shit ton of presentations, articles and NFL playbooks, etc I can email or Dropbox for you if you're interested. PM me and I can take a look tonight. Not sure how much I kept, though.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3zfcyho2 said:
Here's some stuff that I have. I used to have Gb's on my home PC, but that puked a while ago so I don't know how much of it I decided to back-up. I'll check at home tonight

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e6wtpofv6mxv ... DJvXa?dl=0

Thanks ABs. This is some cool reading material. I am even gonna let my cat read it......or maybe I should not. She knows too much already. LOL :mrgreen:

titan3131

Reaction score
I really appreciate these links and any more you may have!

We should sticky a thread called "the compendium of football"

Personally I am newer to the game because my father was a small man with not real manly interests.

Now I have a son and I know all the benefits sports can have on his life and I desire to be able to teach him as well as any other father.

I started with buying madden for the first time LOB LOB!!!

And Ive bought Petes book and have been reading articles everywhere. Its another language to me but I have some years until hes old enough to understand. He is 6months atm

Latest posts