I'm flip flopping on 1st round pick

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
SDHawk":3s1odqty said:
Mr.Hawkbrah":3s1odqty said:
I trust their ability to develope oline more than I trust their ability to evaluate them

This sums it up nicely.

That, and the fact that OG talent is average at best in this draft.

I'm ok with our guard depth with Alvin Bailey, James Carpenter, JR Sweezy and Bowie. Theres also the possibility we bring back Lem who can swing to Guard as well.

Here's an idea out of left field... How would you guys feel about trading Unger for a 2nd rounder and using the cap space to sign someone like Alex Mack?

I think that would have to be based on a couple different variables to fall into place, 1-the FO has reason to believe Ungers drop off is more than the rumored injuries he has, 2- Mack Would come here for a reasonable contract.

Personally I Actually really like that idea, Mack hasn't missed a single game in his entire career plus picking up Draft Capitol while ungers value is at its highest.

I knew they would be comments about what message we would be sending. Truth be told, if there's one thing the hawks value more than loyalty it's winning. The reason Petes style of demanding a lot from guys works is cause we win, and be treats people with respect, it has nothing to do with guaranteeing people roster spots, Pete has more than proven since back at his days at usc that if your performance drops or you are injury prone he will have no problem upgrading you, this loyalty thing is slightly over blown on here.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Colts could really use players like Max Unger and Doug Baldwin.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
SDHawk":epp8gc65 said:

Stop it, if you keep throwing out ideas I like we can't hate be bitter enemies anymore :D

Figure they traded a 1st for trich, so we could probably get like a second rounder from them...for the next 5 years for those 2 guys.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":3hvk0euk said:
SDHawk":3hvk0euk said:

Stop it, if you keep throwing out ideas I like we can't hate be bitter enemies anymore :D

Figure they traded a 1st for trich, so we could probably get like a second rounder from them...for the next 5 years for those 2 guys.

Lol, were only bitter enemies in your own mind.

I'd want the colt's 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Nah, my mind does not allow the heavy burden of e-enemies lol.

If we could some how pick up some extra 2-3 rounders that would be awesome, multiple guys that I like in that range, nikklas/Fiedorowicz, coleman, Anthony Johnson ect. Lots Of upside at least.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":rk8wpbhq said:
Nah, my mind does not allow the heavy burden of e-enemies lol.

If we could some how pick up some extra 2-3 rounders that would be awesome, multiple guys that I like in that range, nikklas/Fiedorowicz, coleman, Anthony Johnson ect. Lots Of upside at least.

Yep, I like TE-Troy Niklas, DT-DaQuan Jones, WR-Brandon Coleman and RT-Seantrel Henderson in that range.

Could also facilitate removing the contracts of Zach Miller, Red Bryant, Sidney Rice and Breno Giacomini (I realize he is a UFA).

ivotuk

Reaction score
I like davidseven's argument for offensive guard, but I hate our draft record on offensive linemen in the 1st. I'm also tired of the musical chairs played by the Oline and would sacrifice a little talent if the trade off meant a healthier, consistent line.

That's where I think Bowie and Bailey come in, big strong players that won't have as much of a problem staying healthy as Carpenter or even Okung.

The reason I like a big TE in the first is because a tall receiver would help Russell get rid of the ball quicker when there's pressure up the middle. It will be easier for our QB to spot a taller receiver over the Dline than to spot Tate, Baldwin, or even Kearse. I don't see Sidney ever completing a full season again and I think ASJ would be a much better outlet receiver than Zach or Luke.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Oline is just one of those things we may need to be patient on, let them develope their continuity and develope what we have. I think we should give them a 4th or a 5th rounder if anything, seems like that would bring in some better talent than the 7th rounders we've used.. logically that makes sense anyways.

I think they will find a way to improve the oline somehow, but I don't see them being dominant soon, which leads to the TE point, until our line does get a bunch of studs on it I don't see our philosophy changing with how we use TEs heavy in blocking. I don't think you can assume asj changes the way we do things until we are set up to allow him to do so, perhaps he's too good to pass up but it would be a luxury pick, as I don't think he's astronomically so much better than Miller we'd just change our scheme, if we wanted to use bigger Targets more than Miller is capable enough to at least get a taste of that.

Don't take that as me disagreeing with asj, as I would love for them to use miller more in the first place, and think they probably should have to some extent, but obviously they feel they can't or just have no interest.

For those reasons nikklas/fiedorowicz provide a much better bang for your buck after the first imo, no matter how good asj might be. A guy like Hageman playing well makes ten times more difference than asj playing well on our team as it stands.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This FO has shown an insanely good ability at developing mid-round defensive talent into All-Pro caliber players. For that reason.. I think they should address the offense with the first couple of picks.. then do their thing in the mid rounds.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":33wxbzw6 said:
This FO has shown an insanely good ability at developing mid-round defensive talent into All-Pro caliber players. For that reason.. I think they should address the offense with the first couple of picks.. then do their thing in the mid rounds.

This doesn't really apply to anything other than the secondary. Although they are great at developing talent in general.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":3l96thsj said:
Hasselbeck":3l96thsj said:

This doesn't really apply to anything other than the secondary. Although they are great at developing talent in general.

Agree with this.

Rocky Seto must stay forever.

HawkSquawk

Reaction score
I agree with Rob. OL isn't as bad as people are going on about :

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/why-im-not ... the-o-line

Nor am I that worried about a having a tall WR. We're still going to be a run first team
and with luck we'll have Harvin, Tate, Baldwin and Kearse all healthy for the season.

I would love to see us grab a kid like Brent Urban and maybe Max Bullough in the later rounds
at LB.

I think we're going to grab a couple of OL but I'm not sure it's worth a 1st rounder.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't think Seattle is satisfied with their interior OL play. Realistically, Bowie and Bailey have to compete and win for starts this offseason. Something that I can see happening. But we will need guys to replace them depth wise.

Giacomini is going to be the first domino to fall. If he resigns, I'd think we're not looking OL until day 3. We will know well before the draft if OL is a more urgent need.

I don't expect us to value Bullough highly. Unless he tests great at the combine. We will go athletic dev prospect I suspect.

Jville

Reaction score
HawkSquawk":31d39uam said:
I agree with Rob. OL isn't as bad as people are going on about :

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/why-im-not ... the-o-line

Nor am I that worried about a having a tall WR. We're still going to be a run first team
and with luck we'll have Harvin, Tate, Baldwin and Kearse all healthy for the season.

I would love to see us grab a kid like Brent Urban and maybe Max Bullough in the later rounds
at LB.

I think we're going to grab a couple of OL but I'm not sure it's worth a 1st rounder.

Solid article. I think they learned some lessons from the 2011 draft. I have been comfortable with their approach since then. Thanks for posting.
I suspect they’ll look for depth and further competition. Let Cable go back to work in the later rounds. That plan has worked so far to an extent. It hasn’t provided a genuine star, but Sweezy, Bailey and Bowie are all young, talented players with the opportunity to keep developing.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Jville":2ft9ku65 said:
Solid article. I think they learned some lessons from the 2011 draft. I have been comfortable with their approach since then. Thanks for posting.
I suspect they’ll look for depth and further competition. Let Cable go back to work in the later rounds. That plan has worked so far to an extent. It hasn’t provided a genuine star, but Sweezy, Bailey and Bowie are all young, talented players with the opportunity to keep developing.

I would caution against making those conclusions. Every draft is different. There aren't hard and fast lessons to apply from one year to the next. Once you become formulaic like that, is when you start missing out on great talent.

2011 didn't work out for Seattle or Chicago. Chicago went back to the well in 2013 and added two quality starters (better than all we have save Okung) and one who will be getting pro bowls in his near future. They are fixed on the line now.

Jville

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2ft7zbx1 said:
Jville":2ft7zbx1 said:

I would caution against making those conclusions. Every draft is different. There aren't hard and fast lessons to apply from one year to the next. Once you become formulaic like that, is when you start missing out on great talent.

2011 didn't work out for Seattle or Chicago. Chicago went back to the well in 2013 and added two quality starters (better than all we have save Okung) and one who will be getting pro bowls in his near future. They are fixed on the line now.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's my understanding that Chicago made long over due changes to their blocking schemes, personal, and assignments in 2013. What Chicago did went well beyond just adding a couple draft picks. I can readily understand the motivation behind Chicago's draft of two linemen as a lead into all their 2013 changes. Seattle's situation and needs in 2014 are different IMHO.

But if there is a lineman that ranks well on Seattle's board when their pick comes around ...... we all know what they will do. Seahawk history sites Steve Hutchinson as a past example of that.

SDHawk

Reaction score
We could sign Alex Mack and use it as leverage to restructure Max Unger and slide him to RG. If he doesn't restructure, we can trade him for a 3rd/4th.

Re-sign Breno to a smallish deal and our Oline looks beast.

LT: Russell Okung
LG: Alvin Bailey | James Carpenter
C: Alex Mack
RG: Max Unger | JR Sweezy
RT: Breno Giacomini | Michael Bowie

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
SDHawk":3bisnphg said:
Mr.Hawkbrah":3bisnphg said:
I trust their ability to develope oline more than I trust their ability to evaluate them

This sums it up nicely.

That, and the fact that OG talent is average at best in this draft.

I'm ok with our guard depth with Alvin Bailey, James Carpenter, JR Sweezy and Bowie. Theres also the possibility we bring back Lem who can swing to Guard as well.

Here's an idea out of left field... How would you guys feel about trading Unger for a 2nd rounder and using the cap space to sign someone like Alex Mack?
Trade our all-pro cornerstone center...? ?? is how I feel about that one.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Unger played with injuries and should do better next year. I think you have to give Unger another year to prove himself but if Unger is the same(injuries or bad play) Seattle should consider moving on. What Seattle needs is better production from the guards. Insert a high level prospect(1-4) from the draft for Cable to work with and Seattle should be fine.