I'm erring on the side of Bennett being gone.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
If the market is anywhere near last year we should get him for 6-7 million it's the length of the deal that will be the sticking point.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I think Seattle should protect the team in the draft with a DT even if Bennett does or doesn't re-sign. Bennett in Seattle makes too much sense and JS will do what needs to be done with cuts/ contract restructering to get Bennett a long term contract. Bennett's agent probably told him to say no to the home town discount over the airwaves after Golden Tate did what he did but thats just my opinion. Seattle has alot of money tied up in the D-line so some familiar faces could be gone in order for Bennett to stay but it would be worth it.

my guess is 9-11 million + incentives over 5 yrs.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3553os1q said:
I like Bennett but seeing how great our secondary is, I think we can still get the job done with a different guy to rush the passer. I realize both units help eachother out to be successful, that's true of any defense, but the way our defense operates, Thomas/Chancellor/Sherman are key.

I agree with you but let's not forget we had Thomas/Chancellor/Sherman the game we couldn't stop Atlanta. I think the pass rush is what put this team over the top so I hope the team is willing to go to lengths to keep it together.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Barthawk":3fe4wiq1 said:
Suggs, who is 31 and has a more impressive resume than Bennett, just re-upped with the Ravens for 4yrs. It appears like a 2yr, 16M contract.. 11M signing bonus, and 16M guaranteed. 1M salary in year one, and 4M guaranteed in year two.

I see that contract as one to shoot for if I were in Bennett's camp and for the Seahawks, that would be pretty team friendly as well.

Suggs is a declining player. Even though he's 31, he left as a true junior so he has a lot more mileage on his body. I doubt you will get Bennett at the same cost.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't go more than a 4 yr 36 mil with 20 mil guaranteed but all us to cut him in 3 years with limited penalty.

brettb3

Reaction score
I think a lot of you guys are overestimating what Bennett will command on the open market. The Hawks will have the ability to create the cap space to re-sign Bennett and Tate while keeping the LOB together, if they so choose.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
brettb3":2v8ubari said:
I think a lot of you guys are overestimating what Bennett will command on the open market. The Hawks will have the ability to create the cap space to re-sign Bennett and Tate while keeping the LOB together, if they so choose.
Correct. Especially given Suggs basically set the market for 2nd/3rd tier DE's and that where Bennett is at. Greg Hardy he's not.

Seafan

Reaction score
If he wants to get paid a lot it's possible he lands with the Raiders. I can't see anyone else over paying for him. He got 8.5 sacks. In the past that has been worth about $9 million a year. You have to look at his age and size and position too. He fits with the Hawks better than anywhere else but someone like the Raiders might be willing to give him a lot of money since they have a lot of cap space. I'm not worried about him signing elsewhere. The Hawks will find someone to be the interior pass rusher.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1uu6ikoi said:
Hawknballs":1uu6ikoi said:
I like Bennett but seeing how great our secondary is, I think we can still get the job done with a different guy to rush the passer. I realize both units help eachother out to be successful, that's true of any defense, but the way our defense operates, Thomas/Chancellor/Sherman are key.

I agree with you but let's not forget we had Thomas/Chancellor/Sherman the game we couldn't stop Atlanta. I think the pass rush is what put this team over the top so I hope the team is willing to go to lengths to keep it together.

having clemons and avril is a much different animal than just having irvin.

plus we almost wont that game.

I dunno. I just don't want us to break the bank for bennet. the way our secondary works we have to keep those guys. lose one, you break the whole system.

Penman96

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to break the bank for Bennett either, at most he could assume Clems' money and get a 3 year deal. There are a good bunch of DE FA's this year (Greg Hardy. Michael Johnson, Lamarr Houston, Jared Allen, Everson Griffen, Justin Tuck) so teams that really need a DE for pass rush have choices. Bennett got 8.5 sacks, not great numbers if your an outsider looking in.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I think Everson Griffen (age 26) could put up similar numbers. He had 8 sacks 2 years ago and 5.5 last year. He plays a similar role backing up Allen/Robison and then rushing as a DT as well. He is also a USC player so Pete would know all about if he would be a good fit here or not.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Penman96":yrbn5spz said:
I wouldn't want to break the bank for Bennett either, at most he could assume Clems' money and get a 3 year deal. There are a good bunch of DE FA's this year (Greg Hardy. Michael Johnson, Lamarr Houston, Jared Allen, Everson Griffen, Justin Tuck) so teams that really need a DE for pass rush have choices. Bennett got 8.5 sacks, not great numbers if your an outsider looking in.

Agreed.. though there is no way Hardy is hitting the FA market. He's definitely getting tagged.

I'd take Justin Tuck in a heartbeat if Bennett left (which I don't think will happen)

bigcc

Reaction score
Hawknballs":a3tm26ep said:
WestcoastSteve":a3tm26ep said:
Hawknballs":a3tm26ep said:

having clemons and avril is a much different animal than just having irvin.

plus we almost wont that game.

I dunno. I just don't want us to break the bank for bennet. the way our secondary works we have to keep those guys. lose one, you break the whole system.

Don't forgot Bradley running the prevent, if Bradley was DC this season Broncos probably find a way back into the game.

bigcc

Reaction score
also a lot of you guys seem to be forgetting we invested a 3rd in Hill last season who should presumably be healthy.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Seafan":2ifv1831 said:
The Hawks will find someone to be the interior pass rusher.

Who was Seattle's last interior pass rusher with 8.5 sacks. this Seattle secondary works best with a interior force like Bennett. Without Bennett their is no superbowl and P. Manning would have picked this L.O.B. apart. some Fans forget how the Seahawks were handled late in games in '12 when it counted most. So show respect and pay the man what he is due. On defense i think Seattle should basically build around E.Thomas,Chancellor,Sherman, and Bennett everyone else can be replaced.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Is there any scenario where we can keep Bennett and still keep McDaniel and McDonald?

bigcc

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":2cbmaacs said:
Seafan":2cbmaacs said:
The Hawks will find someone to be the interior pass rusher.

Who was Seattle's last interior pass rusher with 8.5 sacks. this Seattle secondary works best with a interior force like Bennett. Without Bennett their is no superbowl and P. Manning would hahe sve picked this L.O.B. apart. some Fans forget how the Seahawks were handled late in games in '12 when it counted most. So show respect and pay the man what he is due. On defense i think Seattle should basically build around E.Thomas,Chancellor,Sherman, and Bennett everyone else can be replaced.

That seahawks D late in '12 had 2 of their 3 expected top pass rushers out (J.Jones, Clemons).... the seahawks had two players with more than 3 sacks in 2012, they had 5 this season with over 4. That didn't all come from Bennett.....

Bennett has worked out very well for us, but to list him with the all-pros in the secondary as the only irreplaceable player?

I don't think so lol.

I'd instantly take Wagner, probably Wright as well over Bennett.

bigcc

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2zu62trw said:
Is there any scenario where we can keep Bennett and still keep McDaniel and McDonald?

I think McDaniels is back..... someones probably going to overpay for McDonald though, and I think Hill can fill that void fine.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
[/quote]

I love the LOB but they said that about Browner, granted he was the most replaceable of the group. I wouldn't be surprised if only Earl retires a Seahawk.