I like 49ers and the Bills in the SB

LTH

Reaction score
Who do you like at this point

RiverDog

Reaction score
Although I picked them to beat both the Cowboys and Packers, I'm still reluctant to get onto their bandwagon simply because of Jimmy Garoppolo and his boneheaded mistakes. But they definitely have the best defense of those left in the playoffs and keep games close.

I'm taking the Rams to upset the Bucs but I'll admit that because I can't stand Tom Brady, it influences my forecast. But Stafford has more weapons.

In the AFC, I like the Chiefs. They have the best all around team and Mahomes seems to have re-discovered himself. Running QB's like Josh Allen don't have a great history in big games (see Lamar Jackson, Michael Vick).

I'm going against all conventional wisdom and predicting a Chiefs-Rams matchup in the SB.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Lambs and Chefs in the Soup Bowl. Feeling hungry.
Lambs give Stafford his first and only ring.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
RiverDog":1fx1gcal said:
Running QB's like Josh Allen don't have a great history in big games (see Lamar Jackson, Michael Vick).

I'm going against all conventional wisdom and predicting a Chiefs-Rams matchup in the SB.
Well, Josh Allen isn't really a running QB, any more than Mahomes is, although he scrambles from time to time and the Bills inject a few designed running plays.
The last game vs Seahawks he threw for 415 yards, ran for 12.

I'm thinking 3rd time unlucky for the Chiefs as conference champions.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Palmegranite":17y6r5cm said:
RiverDog":17y6r5cm said:
Running QB's like Josh Allen don't have a great history in big games (see Lamar Jackson, Michael Vick).

Well, Josh Allen isn't really a running QB, any more than Mahomes is, although he scrambles from time to time and the Bills inject a few designed running plays.

Yup, Josh Allen has great all-around game, as a passer and a runner. Def a top-3 QB. Mahomes just had one too many weapons and the KC defense made one more play than the Buff defense.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":3g3w9sse said:

Palmegranite":3g3w9sse said:

The heck he isn't! The Bills call multiple running plays with Allen carrying the ball, many more than the Chiefs do with Mahomes, whose runs are mostly scrambles or QB draws. The Bills quite frequently use Allen on plays that are designed runs with no attempt at play action or a RPO. You hardly ever see Mahomes tuck the ball immediately after the snap in the way the Bills do with Allen.

IMO the Bills are calling Allen's number too often on running plays. He's going to end up getting hurt some day.

At the risk of gloating, my picks for the SB are right on track, although one can accurately accuse me of getting lucky. Those were 4 very entertaining games.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":xm065uo7 said:
RiverDog":xm065uo7 said:

Palmegranite":xm065uo7 said:

The heck he isn't! The Bills call multiple running plays with Allen carrying the ball, many more than the Chiefs do with Mahomes, whose runs are mostly scrambles or QB draws. The Bills quite frequently use Allen on plays that are designed runs with no attempt at play action or a RPO. You hardly ever see Mahomes tuck the ball immediately after the snap in the way the Bills do with Allen.

IMO the Bills are calling Allen's number too often on running plays. He's going to end up getting hurt some day.

At the risk of gloating, my picks for the SB are right on track, although one can accurately accuse me of getting lucky. Those were 4 very entertaining games.

I missed the bills game I was shocked at the fact it wasn't much of a game...

But For me it remains to be seen that the Rams beat the Niners... Thats going to be a hell of a gme I'm not going to miss it...

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":39kux0dy said:

But For me it remains to be seen that the Rams beat the Niners... Thats going to be a hell of a gme I'm not going to miss it...

LTH

It's pretty difficult for a team to beat an opponent twice within a short period of time. Just take a look at our season ending loss to the Rams last year: We beat the Rams decisively just two weeks earlier.

IMO the reason is that you learn more from your mistakes than you do from your successes. The team that loses has a much greater opportunity to correct their deficiencies as they are a lot more obvious when viewing them in defeat than in victory. When you see a problem after a win, you tend to minimize it as it didn't result in losing the game. You don't take the mistake with the same degree of seriousness as you would had your team lost the game.

Consequently, winning gives you a sense of over confidence, that you don't need to improve, that if all you do is maintain the status quo, you'll come out victorious again. You tread water while your opponent learns from his mistakes and closes the gap. Winning makes you complacent. Losing makes you hungry.

The Rams arguably should have run Tampa Bay into the Gulf of Mexico. They fumbled at the one yard line just before the end of the half. Had they hit paydirt on that play they go into halftime leading 27-3. In the 2nd half, Cooper Kupp, who hadn't fumbled all season despite having more receptions by far than any other receiver, coughs it up in scoring position. On 1st and 10 from the Buc's 25, the Rams center inexplicitly sails the ball past Stafford, resulting in a blown scoring opportunity and a turnover. Then on 2nd and7 from the Ram's 23 and needing just one more first down to end the game, Akers fumbles a yard short of the first down marker. The Rams were their own worst enemy, but their mistakes are easily correctable and unlikely to happen two weeks in a row.

And we all remember the dismantling of the Cards in the wild card game.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":3de114xq said:
LTH":3de114xq said:

LTH

It's pretty difficult for a team to beat an opponent twice within a short period of time. Just take a look at our season ending loss to the Rams last year: We beat the Rams decisively just two weeks earlier.

IMO the reason is that you learn more from your mistakes than you do from your successes. The team that loses has a much greater opportunity to correct their deficiencies as they are a lot more obvious when viewing them in defeat than in victory. When you see a problem after a win, you tend to minimize it as it didn't result in losing the game. You don't take the mistake with the same degree of seriousness as you would had your team lost the game.

Consequently, winning gives you a sense of over confidence, that you don't need to improve, that if all you do is maintain the status quo, you'll come out victorious again. You tread water while your opponent learns from his mistakes and closes the gap. Winning makes you complacent. Losing makes you hungry.

The Rams arguably should have run Tampa Bay into the Gulf of Mexico. They fumbled at the one yard line just before the end of the half. Had they hit paydirt on that play they go into halftime leading 27-3. In the 2nd half, Cooper Kupp, who hadn't fumbled all season despite having more receptions by far than any other receiver, coughs it up in scoring position. On 1st and 10 from the Buc's 25, the Rams center inexplicitly sails the ball past Stafford, resulting in a blown scoring opportunity and a turnover. Then on 2nd and7 from the Ram's 23 and needing just one more first down to end the game, Akers fumbles a yard short of the first down marker. The Rams were their own worst enemy, but their mistakes are easily correctable and unlikely to happen two weeks in a row.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1486045476134608896[/tweet]

AubHawk71

Reaction score
LTH":61ormn8n said:
RiverDog":61ormn8n said:
LTH":61ormn8n said:

LTH

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1486045476134608896[/tweet]

It's crazy how someone can just have your number, no matter if it is chess or football or whatever. I couldn't watch the Hawks v Stl Rams because Jeff Fisher would pull some redonk fake punt or other play and win EVERY TIME with an inferior team. Pete's not much for parlor tricks, tho, so it sort of makes sense.

Latest posts