How much for Pete?

tomahawk

Reaction score
With the Doc Rivers trade story the other day a buddy and I were talking about this. Granted different league and contract but lets just say it was possible.

What would it take for you to trade Pete Carroll?

First rounder? Two first rounders? Whole draft?

Just curious as to how some other see PC.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Probably no price, as far as draft picks go. We might be in slight cap trouble next year so taking on more first rounders might be a stretch. We are ready to win and compete next year, basically no price would cause me to risk next year's potential success.

kearly

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade Pete Carroll for John Harbaugh and 3 first rounders, personally. His ability to identify, develop, and salvage talent (including coaching talent)... I have not seen anyone else do it better than Pete does.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
The culture we have here would be out the door with Pete and that is invaluable and irreplaceable.

No Deal.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Although a couple years ago half the board would have traded PC AND Marahawn for Andrew Luck.

OP
OP
tomahawk

tomahawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2pcc7whn said:
The culture we have here would be out the door with Pete and that is invaluable and irreplaceable.

No Deal.

This was my thought as well when talking about it. No first round pick could come in and be as big of a factor as what PC is right now. Then there is always the chance that the pick is a bust, gets injured, etc. The coach in football is SO much more a part of what the team is then what a coach in B-Ball is.

Cartire

Reaction score
I think its really hard to determine a coaches value. With players, they either make plays or they dont make plays. They have the stats or they dont. Its easy to see what level of production you are getting. With coaches, well, I guess wins would be the only concrete standard. After that, alot of it boils down to how well they can sale themselves. Whether it be other player and coaches testimonials, or the general fan feel for a guy. I just dont know. How much credit can you give that coach for building a contender vs the rest of the staff and GM?

The other difficult question is, who would replace him? Would you know ahead of time prior to making the trade? Unlike players, theres only one head coach. However hard it is to quantify his impact on the team, its even more difficult to know if the next guy up could even compare in the long run.

Back on the topic at hand. As of right now, I wouldnt even begin negotiations because the team is built and ready. We all know this, so there is no reason to change it. But, if I had to guess a correct value for a coach (being the key question), I would say a all-pro player (that fits a need) and 2 first rounds would sound about right.

A

Anonymous

I'm hard-pressed to find a coach in the league right now with the combination of tangibles and intangibles Pete has. That's not to say the next (or better) Pete Carroll is not out there coaching a high school team, earning his stripes, and developing a successful philosophy. Those guys are out there and they are biding their time, waiting to explode on the scene. That's my alternative coach.

At this moment in time, no better deal exists.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Trade him away for 3 first rounders, hire Holmgren with a clear understanding that Schneider is MANNNNNN in the front office, and let's go!

:stirthepot:

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
I'd trade Pete Carroll and John Schneider straight across for the only REAL visionary this city has ever seen...

Tim Ruskell.

</s>

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
The interesting thing for me is that I don't see Pete as particularly good as a gameday coach. There have been quite a few in-game decisions he's made, be it clock management or 4th down playcalls or whatever that really seemed poorly thought out. As a talent evaluator he is amazing, and his ability to get the most out of his players is evident.

What would I trade for him? Probably nothing right now. This is his team that he put together, and it has one of the best rosters in the NFL. I'll live with his gameday mistakes because he deserves the chance to coach this team to a superbowl.

Cartire

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1y9g6c65 said:
The interesting thing for me is that I don't see Pete as particularly good as a gameday coach. There have been quite a few in-game decisions he's made, be it clock management or 4th down playcalls or whatever that really seemed poorly thought out. As a talent evaluator he is amazing, and his ability to get the most out of his players is evident.

I think alot of this also stems from the magnifying glass we put over him because he's our coach. Almost every coach makes a bad call once in awhile. Its part of the game.

CANHawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":tp7zb4p7 said:
I'm hard-pressed to find a coach in the league right now with the combination of tangibles and intangibles Pete has. That's not to say the next (or better) Pete Carroll is not out there coaching a high school team, earning his stripes, and developing a successful philosophy. Those guys are out there and they are biding their time, waiting to explode on the scene. That's my alternative coach.

At this moment in time, no better deal exists.

FpYLbHnP4kY9N0ZK4NLxT9HUq71d5hhzG6bQUNS94blORXQxaA??

mikeak

Reaction score
tomahawk":2a3mtfte said:
With the Doc Rivers trade story the other day a buddy and I were talking about this. Granted different league and contract but lets just say it was possible.

Well first of all it is a legit question and it is possible. Remember Gruden was traded from Oakland to Tampa for 1st and 2nd round draft picks in 2002, a 1st round pick in 2003 and a 2nd round pick in 2004, plus cash

(yes I had to google how much they got and I forgot how outrageous it was)

Reaction score
lol, knowing what I know now, I'd trade Pete for Russell Wilson - but thankfully we don't have to :)

sc85sis

Reaction score
There's no guarantee John Schneider would be GM had Pete not been hired. Pete took part in interviewing the final GM candidates and had a say in who was chosen. Tod L. also indicated the energy and rapport between Pete and John was part of why John was hired.

Pete also was allowed to install his philosophy throughout the organization, not just with the players.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
If you believe that JS and PC are putting together a dynasty team you would have to say no to any trade for PC. Being a dynasty team is the holy grail of football and you don't trade that away for any amount of money or 1st round draft picks. Nothing sir and I mean nothing!

Latest posts