How is the o line playing?

keasley45

Reaction score
It's so hard to tell because the pass to run ratio is so out of kilt. We have a run blocking line that's constantly asked to pass pro.

You want to know how to push an older LT into retirement and waste the last few years of his career? Constantly put him in a position where he's back pedaling and being forced to absorb the force of another 290 LB man over and over and over again.

It can't be overstated how important it is for our line play that we call plays that help them to dictate the terms of engagement and lean on the defense as opposed to having to constantly react to the defense's moves

It's simple physics.

You can't really evaluate them effectively on the whole until you put them in the position they were assembled to function within.

One thing that is obvious though is that we still have a problem at center. Pocic is the better of the options when it comes to getting guys in the right spot, but doesn't hold up well. Seems Fuller is maybe a bit more sturdy, but misses calls more often. Both are problematic as the Center is the brain of the unit and responsible for keeping the pocket clean for the QB to step into. No doubt that failures there can contribute to Russ not having the confidence at times to come forward.

keasley45

Reaction score
keasley45":1hiwl5ju said:
It's so hard to tell because the pass to run ratio is so out of kilt. We have a run blocking line that's constantly asked to pass pro.

You want to know how to push an older LT into retirement and waste the last few years of his career? Constantly put him in a position where he's back pedaling and being forced to absorb the force of another 290 LB man over and over and over again.

It can't be overstated how important it is for our line play that we call plays that help them to dictate the terms of engagement and lean on the defense as opposed to having to constantly react to the defense's moves

It's simple physics.

You can't really evaluate them effectively on the whole until you put them in the position they were assembled to function within.

One thing that is obvious though is that we still have a problem at center. Pocic is the better of the options when it comes to getting guys in the right spot, but doesn't hold up well. Seems Fuller is maybe a bit more sturdy, but misses calls more often. Both are problematic as the Center is the brain of the unit and responsible for keeping the pocket clean for the QB to step into. No doubt that failures there can contribute to Russ not having the confidence at times to come forward.

Which is why running more will ultimately help the pass game not just in the sense it keeps the defense off balance, but it would also improve line play and as a result, wilsons confidence to hang in and make better reads. The calls for more runs are not a call for a brain dead, run, run, pass approach. It's literally the way you maximize what this offense is capable of.

Jville

Reaction score
keasley45":nxsbs55y said:

It's simple physics.

Nobody enjoys retrograde/retreat assignments. Especially when they come one after another and get extended.

I do want convey to you my enjoyment of the conversations you and KTH have had this week. The two of you have enriched the forum in recent days.

keasley45

Reaction score
I can't take credit for that, but thanks. I think LTH deserves recognition for starting some really great threads that have make it easy for folks who want to engage and focus on something other than the entrenched beliefs we might have about what's good and bad about the team.

The fire this guy or fire that guy mantras and impossible to prove theories about Russ, the FO or whoever are ok to engage in but when they become the ONLY way we talk about our team, we quickly come to the point where there's nothing else to discuss... in that way, this place is a less than flattering reflection of society these days - draw a line and pick a side.

I'd like to think that sport and places like seahawks.net are the venues where we can leave that shortsighted, devisive tendency outside and just talk about the game. LITERALLY, THE GAME and the much easier to evaluate performance on the field. Admittedly, that's sometimes difficult to do from a broadcast. So it has been good to actually provide some real, usable and insightful game play evidence that cuts through the noise of opinion or preference and gets to the meat of what's going on. Hopefully we all find more opportunities to do that.

But again, thanks to LTH and others who are brave enough to start thoughtful conversations on topics that elevate the knowledge of the game and awareness to those aspects of it that aren't always obvious. It makes us all better fans... in my opinion.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I agree with Jville your contribution to this board has been excellent... your insight as well as your writing style is really enjoyable... I REALLY enjoy reading your stuff and I wish you would do a weekly article after the games...

There are two other guys that I really enjoy reading is Flyingsquad23 where are you sir? your stat work is incredible as well as your insight... and Sutz who very rarely posts any more... I think he is the sleeping bear marine LOL wake up SUTZ!!! I've been on this guy for a long time to be more active as he knows his sh!t and I've been reading his stuff for 15 or 20 years...

LTH

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":23mdq151 said:
keasley45":23mdq151 said:

It's simple physics.

Nobody enjoys retrograde/retreat assignments. Especially when they come one after another and get extended.

I do want convey to you my enjoyment of the conversations you and KTH have had this week. The two of you have enriched the forum in recent days.

Agreed. Great job LTH, Keasley45, and Jville. :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
hawkfan68":341manr8 said:
The OL is a mess again. Brown was a perennial pro bowl/all-pro before he was traded to the Seahawks. I don't believe age is the only factor why seems to be struggling this year. As for Lewis, I didn't like the idea of moving him to LG. He played RG superbly last season. He should have stayed there or kept him at center (he was decent there too).

My preference for the OL would be -

RT - Shell/Jones
RG - Lewis
C - Pocic/Lewis*
LG - Jackson
LT - Brown

* I'd like to see Lewis at C when they are playing teams such as Rams, who have a prolific inerior DL. Donald eats Pocic/Fuller. When Lewis played that spot last season, he fared well against Aaron Donald.

I think some of the problems with OL is that Andy Dickerson is also involved here. He and Solari are working together for the first time. While Solari is the OL coach, Dickerson is the run game coordinator. The run game has been subpar. The Rams lost their #1 back too. Plus they have Andrew Whitworth who's pushing 70...j/k...but he will be 40 in Dec, as their starting LT.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/1/2...ely-means-seattle-seahawks-mike-solari-o-line

I pull up stats for the Seahawks rushing offense per game for the past 3 1/2 seasons -

2018 - 160 yds per game, 1st in the NFL
2019 - 137.5 yds per game, 4th in the NFL
2020 - 123.2 yds per game, 12th in the NFL
2021 - 99.8 yds per game, 22nd in the NFL

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/stat/rushing/season/2021/seasontype/2

Not sure why they felt they need to hire a run game coordinator, they were a top 15 rushing offense prior to this season.

Thanks for the stats man!!! I am so not a stat guy bvut I am beginning to like stats more!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
LTH":3djxj7fj said:
hawkfan68":3djxj7fj said:
The OL is a mess again. Brown was a perennial pro bowl/all-pro before he was traded to the Seahawks. I don't believe age is the only factor why seems to be struggling this year. As for Lewis, I didn't like the idea of moving him to LG. He played RG superbly last season. He should have stayed there or kept him at center (he was decent there too).

My preference for the OL would be -

RT - Shell/Jones
RG - Lewis
C - Pocic/Lewis*
LG - Jackson
LT - Brown

* I'd like to see Lewis at C when they are playing teams such as Rams, who have a prolific inerior DL. Donald eats Pocic/Fuller. When Lewis played that spot last season, he fared well against Aaron Donald.

I think some of the problems with OL is that Andy Dickerson is also involved here. He and Solari are working together for the first time. While Solari is the OL coach, Dickerson is the run game coordinator. The run game has been subpar. The Rams lost their #1 back too. Plus they have Andrew Whitworth who's pushing 70...j/k...but he will be 40 in Dec, as their starting LT.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/1/2...ely-means-seattle-seahawks-mike-solari-o-line

I pull up stats for the Seahawks rushing offense per game for the past 3 1/2 seasons -

2018 - 160 yds per game, 1st in the NFL
2019 - 137.5 yds per game, 4th in the NFL
2020 - 123.2 yds per game, 12th in the NFL
2021 - 99.8 yds per game, 22nd in the NFL

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/stat/rushing/season/2021/seasontype/2

Not sure why they felt they need to hire a run game coordinator, they were a top 15 rushing offense prior to this season.

Thanks for the stats man!!! I am so not a stat guy bvut I am beginning to like stats more!

You're welcome. The best stat is Wins or Losses. The others are useless but those are still fun to discuss.

keasley45

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3g3vqclh said:
Jville":3g3vqclh said:
keasley45":3g3vqclh said:

It's simple physics.

Agreed. Great job LTH, Keasley45, and Jville. :irishdrinkers:

:2thumbs: