How Important Is It To Re-Sign Okung?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1fikqckt said:
A lot of people want Bevell fired but what are the expectations for Cable? I am not willing to wait until Russell gets seriously injured playing behind Cable's projects. We finally have a franchise QB with so much potential and we all know how hard is it to find the right QB in this league (just ask teams like Browns). I am not saying fire Cable right now, definitely not, but he should also be put on a short leash.

Cable's conversion projects are a matter of necessity, not choice. PC/JS have mandated meager spending on the offensive line position. 30th in the league, in fact.

Link attached for reference: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

Cable's job is to make due. If we're hoping for an above average line, it will require gambling on players by nature.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Before this year I would have said resigning Okung wasn't that big of a deal, but now? He's the best and most consistent lineman we have, and that's sad to say considering he's good for at least a holding and three false starts a game.

But I think we could resign him for basically what he's already making now. I don't see him getting a monster contract in free agency.

RCATES

Reaction score
If he wants a penny more then what he's currently getting paid then No. He's been terribly inconsistent the past 2 years. It will be the Maxwell debacle all over again. Someone will overpay and get burned by his production.

Jville

Reaction score
I am of the notion that Okung needs about 4 games before his game starts building in earnest. His season, along with his teammates, is still unfolding.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
All I know is, I'm not down with the usual fan mandate that says "replacing someone will automatically improve the situation".

We tried that by getting rid of Unger and Carpenter. Now look.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I think you try to, but keep it short and don't overpay - he's getting older and is only above average *when healthy*.

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":21f56p3q said:
All I know is, I'm not down with the usual fan mandate that says "replacing someone will automatically improve the situation".

^^^^ Completely.

With both of those guys I thought hey as injured as they are, a player with 75% of their ability who can stay healthy is an improvement.

Well we don't have players that are 75%. We have drafted OL that are not good, and drafted DL that are starting at absolute ground zero and will take the better part of a season to get to NFL caliber, if ever. It is an experiment after all, that we're basing on one player, Sweezy, who still looks bad in pass pro.

If they don't resign Okung then JS and Pete have lost their minds, and Cable will have proven once and for all he is utterly incapable of being honest with himself and them about what he can accomplish with no groceries.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawk45":o7h88da2 said:
MontanaHawk05":o7h88da2 said:

^^^^ Completely.

With both of those guys I thought hey as injured as they are, a player with 75% of their ability who can stay healthy is an improvement.

Well we don't have players that are 75%. We have drafted OL that are not good, and drafted DL that are starting at absolute ground zero and will take the better part of a season to get to NFL caliber, if ever. It is an experiment after all, that we're basing on one player, Sweezy, who still looks bad in pass pro.

If they don't resign Okung then JS and Pete have lost their minds, and Cable will have proven once and for all he is utterly incapable of being honest with himself and them about what he can accomplish with no groceries.

Doesn't it strike you that Cable really does seem relentlessly positive like JS has a kill switch on him if he says "I can't make a meal with a bare cupboard". I understand where Cable is coming from in trying your best and doing it with a smile out of some sort of pride and also being under media scrutiny but...

We need a moment of honesty in Renton between coaches and GM.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
hawk45":5dj817na said:
MontanaHawk05":5dj817na said:

^^^^ Completely.

The only problem is did we try to replace someone in a normal NFL-caliber way? Or did we try to replace someone in the Tom Cable hail mary conversion/development way? I agree that is doesn't always make the situation better to simply replace someone, but at some point you have to look at the quality of the attempt that was made to replace them.

hawk45

Reaction score
mrt144":1n2xfvk6 said:

Doesn't it strike you that Cable really does seem relentlessly positive like JS has a kill switch on him if he says "I can't make a meal with a bare cupboard"[/quote]

I believe that Pete and JS love the idea of going cheap at OL. But I don't believe that there would be any recriminations of Cable just offered an honest assessment that he needs more. I think Cable must honestly believe he can do the Sweezy on all 5 positions on the line.

Position coaches can get like that, and that is when the GM and president of operations need to step in and inject some sanity into the equation. But "tell the truth Tuesday" or whatever seems to have an exemption for the OL topic.

So it's all of their failures.

Paschtorian

Reaction score
Of course, he's going to play his behind-off (right now). It's a contract year.

But,............the guy manages (during non-contract) years to "sprain his magina",.........and not play the whole season.

I want Walter back!!!!!!

crosfam

Reaction score
With the cap, we are going to be thrifty next year. Okung will be gone. Irvin will be gone. They will get huge contracts on day one of free agency. I bet Kearse leaves too. We need to focus on guys like Shead and Sweezy that we can afford to keep. It would be nice to draft a decent lineman early, but I bet we keep backfilling defense.

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":3lb1w07p said:
Next year draft,

Rnd 1 O line
Rnd 2 O line
Rnd 3 O line
Rnd 4 O line
Rnd 5 O line
Rnd 6 O line
Rnd 7 O line

No defensive line projects.
Guys that have experience in Pass Protection.

Guys from Traditional offense's not spread and run and shoot.

Ok that's extreme but we need to adjust our thinking.

You're not that far off. I definitely would draft for the O line in rounds 1 thru 3 with the specs on traditional offense scheme's in college. I also would right now replace Cable and get a line coach who can teach both pass protection and run support.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I have a slight feeling that the front office will prioritize secondary depth during the draft. Secondary depth and maybe the running game.

I say re-sign okung and look for cheap talent during free agency. Don't waste time using high picks for o-line that takes weeks to start realizing their potential.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that the real reason Gilliam is at RT right now is so he can get playing experience and move to LT next year. It was never about Britt being good inside or bad at RT, it was about replacing Okung and his salary. IMO.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Re-sign Okung?

I believe the team will attempt it, but not if he wants more money than he's getting now. He will likely have expectations of a big contract but I can't see the team paying him more than a high medium salary range and then he's probably being overpaid.

He was the 6th player picked in his draft year and has significantly underplayed that draft position except for one season. His ankle, foot, arm, and shoulder injuries have had him miss significant time since being drafted. He's vulnerable to speed rushers and compensates by taking numerous false start penalties, or he holds. When he plays with a weak player alongside him like Britt he looks worse than ever. I frankly think the team will move on as he's been exposed as having an attack able vulnerability that can be exploited.

It's an interesting problem but to me if his play doesn't significantly improve I doubt he's here next year.