How Important Is It To Re-Sign Okung?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not very important, but preferable. He's mediocre, but LT is a very important position. We need to sign some decent veterans and draft some linemen from decent pro style systems this upcoming draft, yet again. At least shore up the line to the point where it isn't on pace to be one of the worst to ever take an NFL field.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2dkkdg21 said:
DavidSeven":2dkkdg21 said:
Who replaces him if not?.
Well a defensive lineman conversion project with a high SPARQ rating of course. Duh.

I can't wait until we get elite left tackle prospect Shawn Oakman

mrt144

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":1fn8p2j7 said:
As of right now? Vitally. He's about the only one who's playing halfways decent somewhat consistently. He's also a known commodity, and God help us if we leave the LT spot open for Cable and JS to fill.

How much you think he'll cost though. And he's not playing halfway decent.

rjdriver

Reaction score
We can just convert a long snapper to left tackle. Problem solved for cheap.

Cartire

Reaction score
hawknation2015":zv7qrrca said:
DavidSeven":zv7qrrca said:
Who replaces him if not?

There is a league-wide shortage of competent OL talent. You can either face that reality and pony up or continue relying on Cable to pick projects based on their high school wrestling record and their marital status.

The Jets may have overspent on a couple of our "average" linemen, but that unit is sure playing a heck of lot better than ours is. I really doubt they regret their decisions.

If they can't re-sign Okung, then Gilliam would replace him at LT. Then they would have to figure out what to do at RT again. Most likely, Britt moves back there or Sokoli moves to RT.

Because they finally addressed the OL in the draft, there are some contingency options in place.

Jesus. I feel like you are purposely going for the season sack total. Move a TE to RT then to LT, and just :thirishdrinkers:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Cartire":dj018kq3 said:
hawknation2015":dj018kq3 said:
DavidSeven":dj018kq3 said:
Who replaces him if not?

There is a league-wide shortage of competent OL talent. You can either face that reality and pony up or continue relying on Cable to pick projects based on their high school wrestling record and their marital status.

The Jets may have overspent on a couple of our "average" linemen, but that unit is sure playing a heck of lot better than ours is. I really doubt they regret their decisions.

If they can't re-sign Okung, then Gilliam would replace him at LT. Then they would have to figure out what to do at RT again. Most likely, Britt moves back there or Sokoli moves to RT.

Because they finally addressed the OL in the draft, there are some contingency options in place.

Jesus. I feel like you are purposely going for the season sack total. Move a TE to RT then to LT, and just :thirishdrinkers:

I think Plan A has to be to try to re-sign Okung. Schneider has said re-signing Okung will be a priority.

But if it doesn't happen, because someone overpays for him or Okung gets hurt again, then you have to deal with contingencies. With a year of starting experience under his belt at RT, and two seasons of reserve experience at LT, Gilliam would be the natural option to start at LT in his 3rd year. He has the kind of length and athleticism that teams look for in a blindside protector.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Fade":3r2fdv7n said:
Okung got beat by Darryl Tapp, yeah Darryl freaking Tapp.

That's because he's a rolling ball of butcher knives. I wouldn't want to block that.

justafan

Reaction score
He has had a rough year but if they are going to replace him with a DL or wing it with a UDFA and no plan you have to keep him.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Rob12":24ip7z3g said:
Okung looks to me like nothing more than a mediocre NFL LT. Which, given the state of offensive lines across the league, probably means signing him is pretty important.

THIS times 1000. The people that say just draft better olineman... Look at the league, look at the recent drafts. Oline is a dieing breed.

The poster that said find a team in college thats not running the spread and draft their lineman. Soooo Stanford.....um,,,,,,Alabama?........Arkansas,,,,,honestly I can't really think of any more teams that don't run the majority of their offense out of the gun and as a version of the spread...

OP
OP
timmat

timmat

Reaction score
Also, it seems that O line is not a position that is quickly fixed via the draft. There are certain positions where rookies begin making solid contributions in year 1. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part, it seems that if we are going to be drafting our way to fixing this O line, it's a multi-year project. Are we prepared for a multi-year rebuild in the heart of a championship window? For this reason, I hope we look aggressively at free agency for the O line fix.

We have some amazing players across the board who are in the prime of their careers. I really hope our offseason free agent splashes take place on the O line. And we don't need to be signing the greats of the game either. Just middle of the road guys would be a massive improvement. Russ is at his best when he has to move out of the pocket SOME of the time. It's possible that Russell would shine the most behind an average O line, where his scrambling ability is still required, albeit much less frequently than we are seeing this year.

drcool

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":356kg0v7 said:

I think he could just look at the opposing defense and they would curl up into the fetal position. Could be a good move.

drrew

Reaction score
Seems pretty clear there isn't anyone on the roster who would even be a mediocre level LT if he was replaced, so here is the LT free agent list for next season. It's not pretty.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/left-tackle/

I think they resign Okung if they can keep his cap number around the current number of $7.2m

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3f9b2mup said:
hawksfansinceday1":3f9b2mup said:
DavidSeven":3f9b2mup said:
Who replaces him if not?.
Well a defensive lineman conversion project with a high SPARQ rating of course. Duh.

Another high-upside conversion project with limited football experience? Can't wait! :D

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Fade":1hpj06tu said:
Okung got beat by Darryl Tapp, yeah Darryl freaking Tapp.

The offensive line, and offensive coaching staff needs a total overhaul.

I am so jealous of Atlanta. Yes, they have Ryan & Julio but they are running the ball this year. Their oline was bad & underperforming until Shanahan came to town. Now they're playing like a top oline unit in the league.

A lot of people want Bevell fired but what are the expectations for Cable? I am not willing to wait until Russell gets seriously injured playing behind Cable's projects. We finally have a franchise QB with so much potential and we all know how hard is it to find the right QB in this league (just ask teams like Browns). I am not saying fire Cable right now, definitely not, but he should also be put on a short leash.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
The good news is that Okung will likely not cost much, given the way he's playing. To be fair, when one OL plays poorly it can make everyone else look bad. And he's playing next to Britt...

Cartire

Reaction score
MysterMatt":29hptbs9 said:
The good news is that Okung will likely not cost much, given the way he's playing. To be fair, when one OL plays poorly it can make everyone else look bad. And he's playing next to Britt...

I highly doubt he will be cheap. Like has been said many times here, a mediocre LT is still rare. And hes trying to be his own agent. He wants to hit FA, and I think hes going to see offers he wont be able to get from here.

jblaze

Reaction score
He's average at best and will be asking for 8+ mil per year in the offseason. No reason to sign him at all.

We're going to need to draft a RB and LT high next year. Maybe they fill with FA or a trade but who knows.

One thing seems pretty clear though, Okung won't be here. He's injury proned and is average at best when in there. I keep watching him thinking how high he was drafted wishing he would actually perform up to that level.

Wish we could have gotten Trent Williams...