How good will Russell Wilson be in 2013?

OP
OP
SE174

SE174

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1g2z9mg2 said:
Lady Talon":1g2z9mg2 said:
Russell Wilson is closer to the Tom Brady mold then to any of the QBs you listed. He has a lot driving him and the will to prove it over the golden children.
Also: Tom Brady's completion percentage, passer rating, and W/L record were all worse as a second year starter.

My point: I'm totally confident that over time, RW is going to go down as one of the best this game has seen, but people shouldn't freak out if his numbers stay steady for a year or are even a little worse. Dude's already playing at a Top 5 QB level.
To be fair though, none of those you mentioned have a work ethic like Russell does. His preparation for separation is unprecedented.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SE174":3d8urof7 said:
To be fair though, none of those you mentioned have a work ethic like Russell does. His preparation for separation is unprecedented.

Come on, there's never been anything negative printed or said about Tom Brady or Matt Ryan's work ethic. But I hear you, if there's one QB I'd bet on to bust through a sophomore slump by sheer will, it's Wilson.

RyPants

Reaction score
Some lofty predictions in this thread... I think the key will be RW's ability to stay patient and adapt to the new wrinkles the better defenses will add to prevent the read option's effectiveness. My gut tells me this year will be more of the same as last year - close to flawless at home, and a bit of an adventure on the road.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
DavidSeven":38p2lydv said:
Lady Talon":38p2lydv said:
Russell Wilson is closer to the Tom Brady mold then to any of the QBs you listed. He has a lot driving him and the will to prove it over the golden children.
Also: Tom Brady's completion percentage, passer rating, and W/L record were all worse as a second year starter.

My point: I'm totally confident that over time, RW is going to go down as one of the best this game has seen, but people shouldn't freak out if his numbers stay steady for a year or are even a little worse. Dude's already playing at a Top 5 QB level.

Yet his touchdowns and passing yardage were up significantly in 2002, despite battling and playing through a shoulder injury for the last 8 games.

Belicheck went on record saying his shoulder had progressed to the point he wouldn't have allowed Brady to start a playoff game. Hardly a case of him just spontaneously slumping in his second year.

They tied for the highest winning percentage in their division, the Jets however, owned the tiebreaker.

OP
OP
SE174

SE174

Reaction score
DavidSeven":k4veh4du said:
SE174":k4veh4du said:

Come on, there's never been anything negative printed or said about Tom Brady or Matt Ryan's work ethic. But I hear you, if there's one QB I'd bet on to bust through a sophomore slump by sheer will, it's Wilson.

I wasn't implying that any of the QBs you mentioned had a poor work ethic, just that Wilson is on a level all by himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a bed in the film room. :lol:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
How good will Russell be in 2013? I think that's a question that might be better answered by the guys who write his code?

kearly

Reaction score
Man, I spent so much time bashing QBR this last year, but I at least have to give ESPN credit for taking the time and effort to break the stat down into categories. I'd love to know a players DVOA in 3rd down, Red Zone, 4th quarter situations, but even FO doesn't go that far. Just this once, QBR did something cool.

Also, did anyone else notice this from that chart? Since week 8, Russell Wilson has averaged a 137 passer rating in the 4th quarter and overtime. Are you kidding me? Those came over a span of TEN GAMES.

Seafan

Reaction score
What explosion? The PC offense is a power run game. Does RW get more downfield throws this season? Doubtful.

OP
OP
SE174

SE174

Reaction score
kearly":3o03ope7 said:
Man, I spent so much time bashing QBR this last year, but I at least have to give ESPN credit for taking the time and effort to break the stat down into categories. I'd love to know a players DVOA in 3rd down, Red Zone, 4th quarter situations, but even FO doesn't go that far. Just this once, QBR did something cool.

Also, did anyone else notice this from that chart? Since week 8, Russell Wilson has averaged a 137 passer rating in the 4th quarter and overtime. Are you kidding me? Those came over a span of TEN GAMES.
Those stats were from before the Washington game, so it was 8 games, not ten. Ridiculous, nonetheless.

kearly

Reaction score
SE174":13ekct3m said:
kearly":13ekct3m said:

Those stats were from before the Washington game, so it was 8 games, not ten. Ridiculous, nonetheless.

The 4th quarter numbers probably would have gone up if you included the playoffs. :)

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seafan":2nb9lt87 said:
What explosion? The PC offense is a power run game. Does RW get more downfield throws this season? Doubtful.

It all depends if one of our RB's get injured. Since we passed the fewest of all NFL teams last year, I would expect that we pass about 10% more in 2013 as we have even more weapons this year (Harvin).

OP
OP
SE174

SE174

Reaction score
kearly":1hkvc5o8 said:
SE174":1hkvc5o8 said:
kearly":1hkvc5o8 said:

The 4th quarter numbers probably would have gone up if you included the playoffs. :)

Passer rating would have gone down because of the hail mary INT to end the ATL game. Not sure if that would affect the QBR as much.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Seafan":3h781bh4 said:
USC was a run-first team as well but they still averaged 50-point-something points per game in 2006. And that was the year after Leinart won the Heisman.

Does that mean I think the Hawks will do the same 50-ish average? Of course not. But I do think it means they can still be explosive even with a run-first approach.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I love my neighbor's latest argument...

"Russell Wilson was only that good because he has a top 10 defense and offense to work around."

Yeah buddy. It has nothing to do with Russell Wilson being exceptional in every way. It's just the talent around him. <heavy rolling of the eyes>

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Aros":3bwsz7fx said:

"Russell Wilson was only that good because he has a top 10 defense and offense to work around."

Yeah buddy. It has nothing to do with Russell Wilson being exceptional in every way. It's just the talent around him. <heavy rolling of the eyes>
Your neighbor is an IDIOT! Tell him I said so! :)

Exittium

Reaction score
Griffon's stats were Ehh.. I was expecting a lot more out of him since he wasn't limited like wilson was the 1st half of the season.. But with that being said

RGIII VS RW 2012 stats
15 G 16
393 ATT 393
258 Comp 252
65.6 Pct 64.1
26.2 Att/G 24.6
3,200 Yds 3,118
8.1 Avg 7.9
213.3 Yds/G 194.9
20 TD 26
5.1 TD% 6.6
5 Int 10
1.3 Int% 2.5
88 Lng 67
47 20+ 42
6 40+ 11
30 Sck 33
217 SckY 203
102.4 Rate 100.0

So really.. Here you have a "Healthy" RGIII that people like somehow compare to Wilson.. who Put up almsot Identical Numbers as RGIII While being held back.. Now I'd throw Luck's numbers up but well they speak for themselves and I'm sure Wilson's #'s would've passed That of Luck's if he wasn't held back.. We have a gem and this year I can only see him accelerating even more then he has already. Lets not forget either.. RGIII is also on his 2nd knee/acl injury

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":3v9lg1a4 said:

Those red zone stats are insane. 8 games, 15 red zone TD passes in 33 attempts. Double that, and you have MVP numbers. Drew Brees had 29 red zone TD passes the year he broke the passing records, IIRC. This man just gets cooler as the pressure increases. I am far from a stat geek, but red zone efficiency is one I pay close attention to. And no turnovers in the red zone. Think about that for a second. We are better off throwing from inside the 5 than running because Russell will not turn the ball over and nearly half his passes result in touchdowns.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Aros":1w6xnbrf said:

And you talk to this person why?

Tical21

Reaction score
Mad props to those that actually put it on the line and predicted stats. I guess I'm in the camp that doesn't see a huge jump stats wise. I think we run the ball even better and even more often. I think Russell will improve in the sense that he is going to make the game easier on himself. He isn't going to have to scramble for his life all the time. He's going to read defenses just a little faster, and have more help from the WR position, and hit a couple easier passes every now and again. I can't see the TD/Int ratio improving a whole lot yet. It was already awfully good.

I also fear the expectation. Like 4 people posted stats, and one of them had him at 70% completion. Over 30 TD and less than 10 picks? Do you know how insane that is? My question is this....what happens if Russell Wilson is just "good?" Do we get all sorts of "what's wrong with Russell, why isn't he as good as we thought he was" posts?