• Pro-bowl starter

Votes: 35 27.6%
  • All-pro starter

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
olyfan63":2vrfko78 said:
People overlook/forget that the only reason "The Tip" happened is that Kaepernick knew he couldn't run away from Irvin; Irvin was spying him on that play, so Kaep chose to throw it. The rest is history.

Well, history in your eyes, I guess. The tip play happened because of several people, not an individual person. The play started with an Avril bull rush right into the face of kaepernick followed by Sherman overcoming OPI and making a great play, and finally, Malcom Smith being in a great position to intercept the ball.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2s6lqmga said:
olyfan63":2s6lqmga said:
People overlook/forget that the only reason "The Tip" happened is that Kaepernick knew he couldn't run away from Irvin; Irvin was spying him on that play, so Kaep chose to throw it. The rest is history.

Well, history in your eyes, I guess. The tip play happened because of several people, not an individual person. The play started with an Avril bull rush right into the face of kaepernick followed by Sherman overcoming OPI and making a great play, and finally, Malcom Smith being in a great position to intercept the ball.

I agree. The back of the EZ fade to Crabtree was the play called...not any of the options.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I have to admit that I was wrong about Irvin. I've been a frequent critic since the day he was drafted. It's been an amazing turnaround as just a year ago, it appeared as if he was on his way out with us. He had been replaced as a starter by Malcolm Smith and the only time he was getting significant snaps was when one of the other starters, ie KJ, was hurt.

Despite what some have said about him, he's not a Pro Bowl player and I don't think he ever will be, but he is what the vast majority of posters said he is: A solid starter. He's improved his defense against the run as he does a good job of filling holes, understands his role in pass coverage, and is a threat that has to be accounted for when he's asked to get pressure on the QB. He's no longer a one trick pony.

Agreed about our coaching staff 'coaching him up.' I don't know who to credit most for it, Ken Norton, Dan Quinn, or Pete. Perhaps they all had a hand in it.

Tical21

Reaction score
I still think he is quite average and we can easily get similar impact for 500k annually. The position he plays on our team is pretty prime for making an impact. A good player there can really stand out. I think he would be better in a true 3-4 role, and think we could do better with someone that sets the edge with more vigor.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Tical21":1hagr09q said:
I still think he is quite average and we can easily get similar impact for 500k annually. The position he plays on our team is pretty prime for making an impact. A good player there can really stand out. I think he would be better in a true 3-4 role, and think we could do better with someone that sets the edge with more vigor.

I agree to a point, but I have a couple of problems: First off, we want to address weaknesses, not improving on what is already a strength. That means shoring up our OL, adding depth to our DL, and getting Russell some real weapons at WR.

Secondly, even if we did want to upgrade Irvin's role, we don't have the draft capital to pick one nor do we have cap room to sign a proven, Pro Bowl quality FA that's going to be an obvious improvement.

Irvin's still learning. 6 months ago, I would have agreed that he looked like a lost cause. But not from what I've seen over the past couple of months.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RiverDog":1id9t3o7 said:
Tical21":1id9t3o7 said:
Irvin's still learning. 6 months ago, I would have agreed that he looked like a lost cause. But not from what I've seen over the past couple of months.

And that upward trend in his play should continue. Some of the comments characterizing his latest play as merely 'solid,' or 'average' are off the mark to a large degree, IMO.

He's exactly the type of player Pete likes to retain. Chancellor was at a similar point in his career, which is to say he was putting in the work and on the verge of REALLY coming into his own.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
There are two Hawk players that on the eye test appear to be complete physical freaks of nature. Kam, and Bruce Irvin. When Irvin figures his position(s) out completely, very bad things could happen to opposing offenses.

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":16lk4x49 said:
RiverDog":16lk4x49 said:

And that upward trend in his play should continue. Some of the comments characterizing his latest play as merely 'solid,' or 'average' are off the mark to a large degree, IMO

The reason I've characterized Irvin's play as 'solid' is that he needs to sustain it through a whole season. He's really only become a real force in the last couple of months, and that's simply not good enough to elevate his status as you are suggesting, at least not in my book. Earlier in the season, he wasn't filling holes, wasn't getting pressure on the QB (no one was), wasn't real comfortable in pass coverage.

The Carolina game should be interesting. Irvin's had some pretty good games against Carolina, and those were all on the road. Now that he has the 12th man behind him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the backfield a lot this Saturday.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
Every time I think that Bruce Irvin was a bad pick at 15, he always makes a game changing play to make me forget that.