How Does The NFL Fix The Reffing Problem?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":136qfcrh said:
HawkerD":136qfcrh said:
Uncle Si":136qfcrh said:
Agreed David.

It can't be perfect and the expectations that it should be are hurting the product.

That said, you could hire them as full time. Should help their efficiency

You would be looking at a lot of new referees. MAny of these guys have high powered jobs (Corporate exec, Law firm partners, etc.) If they had to chose many would keep their day job with very high compensations and if they like to ref, do it at the college level.

Fine, at the rate they get paid, and for the job they do, you'd have a lineup of qualified people eager to do what they do.

I'd have to at least consider it . . .
Me too :2thumbs:

StoneCold

Reaction score
It was interesting when Gruden said last night that he didn't even know what Pass Interference was anymore. Hire full time and do extensive training. Pick plays that clarify what it is and isn't and drill them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":1rxkebaz said:
It was interesting when Gruden said last night that he didn't even know what Pass Interference was anymore. Hire full time and do extensive training. Pick plays that clarify what it is and isn't and drill them.

That's cause Gruden's like us fans, coaches and players.............. he just wants to see the refs let the players play.

That's the insane part of all these rules, the owners in their vigilance to have perfectly called games have done the complete opposite, created an impossible to call sport that leaves everyone involved frustrated.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3eyn96io said:
StoneCold":3eyn96io said:

That's cause Gruden's like us fans, coaches and players.............. he just wants to see the refs let the players play.

That's the insane part of all these rules, the owners in their vigilance to have perfectly called games have done the complete opposite, created an impossible to call sport that leaves everyone involved frustrated.

It's not hard to see why this is the case - the football owners, despite their closeness to the game, don't actually understand it all that well. They don't play games, any games obsessively and understand interplay between different objectives, they mostly haven't played football at all.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":268luaw6 said:
StoneCold":268luaw6 said:

That's the problem, there is no ideal situation. Let the players play, and teams/players/fans will complain when the refs turn a blind eye to a penalty. Call it too tight? That's what we have right now, and no one is happy.

If you have the officials call the game more loose, players will take advantage of it.

It's inevitable, we need to accept what we think is bad officiating. And like someone else mentioned, there is a good chance this is the same officiating we had 10-20 years ago, we just notice a lot more stuff with HD TV's, social media, etc.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It is clear to the "average fan" that the game has changed considerably in the past ten years. The average fan wishes to see fewer "ticky-tacky" calls. The refs already do this with the Offensive Line play ie. "Holding" is seldom called unless it's deemed "egregious". If desired, there are sensors available which could be worn by the players which would automatically be triggered if contact is excessive. The NFL could update the game considerably if they desired.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Get rid of Deano Blandino.

Streamline the rule book and get rid of the ticky tack and phantom calls.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
ivotuk":74kcz164 said:
Full time referees. They all have full time jobs and work 7 days a week during the season. Plus they are all traveling all of the time, get off work at 5:00PM, jump the redeye from Boston to San Diego, prep for the game, referee the game, fly back to Boston, get up early and go to work.

Related to the above, better training. Keep them all in a group, learning together instead of small groups here and there learning it slightly differently from different trainers.

Simplify the rules. Over the years, the rule book has gotten thicker, and thicker.

STOP changing rules and "intent" every season. Because that means the referees have to remember that something that has been a catch for the past 15 years of their life, is now not a catch, technically.

Like said above, add players to the Competition Committee
. They already have coaches on there.
Yep. That is a great way to Fix the Problem.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
With the profits the NFL enjoys, its absolutely ridiculous that the refs aren't full time.

1.)Make them full time

2.)Only call agregious fouls and player safety fouls, the tricky tack stuff is killing continuity and consistency.

3.)Make the head ref have to participate in the post game press conferences. They can explain right then and there any questionable calls and why they were called that way.

4.)keep the review system exactly how it is right now, don't add addl stoppages.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Ref's get paid more than most of us for working part of the year.

During the 2012-2013 season, the average NFL referee salary was $149,000. For the 2013-2014 the average NFL referee salary was $173,000. In 2014-2015, the referees earn an average of $10,500 per game (regular season, pre-season and playoff), which works out to $180,000 per year.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articl ... ee-salary/

So yea, working full time year round would kill them how exactly?[/quote]

Ok so what's the issue then? Refs have to much down time? Is the "full time" mean they need to be in training all offseason? I don't really care what the NFL does I just want to know what is implied with the term "full time". I ask because the NFL does have tests and training that referees have to pass. Maybe the issue is the testing is to easy.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Simple answer. Create a full-time, year-round professional referee staff. It is horrifying that a league with so much money won't make this investment.

Manu folks still don't understand that refs are part time, and have other day jobs, generally.

chris98251

Reaction score
Get rid of replay, they are so busy second guessing and trying to be everything right they are making more mistakes by trying to hard, when officials don't have big brother and all the fans seeing replays before a snap they slow everything down.

Why football was more fun to watch years ago also, more fluid and there was momentum.

Make them full time.

Have them teach the players and coaches more in off season OTA's.

Clean up and simplify the rule book.

Create a waiver and a larger roster game day for the concussion protocol, Waiver so the players knowingly accept responsibility also that ownership and the league will take responsibility to assist and do the protocol. Then let players play, PS squad can suit up and be used in the event a player becomes ineligible due to Concussions. This will be safer for players asked to play positions they are not familiar with avoiding additional injuries.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I just get hammered and repeatedly punch myself in the face. By the beginning of the 2nd quarter, I no longer care about the calls nor notice that they, or anything else, exists.

SeaChat

Reaction score
Sever the leash between the New York NFL head office and the officials, its a clear conflict of interest to have the NFL controlling the games. Make the refs independent entities that are scored and graded along with rewards and penalties based upon their professionalism and accuracy of their calls. If they make to many bad calls they are removed and sent back to retrain, or not allowed to ref any more.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3mvj1a5j said:
I just get hammered and repeatedly punch myself in the face. By the beginning of the 2nd quarter, I no longer care about the calls nor notice that they, or anything else, exists.

But that makes it hard to enjoy a win, too.

This is probably the wrong time to bring this up... but here goes:

I wonder if a capitalist approach to Refs would serve the league better than inside paid zebras. Allow outside agencies to train refs for pro football, then the league can hire them for pre-season, analyze their abilities, and award contracts to the best teams or individuals. The price may go up, but so will the product. And there may be less chance for or accusations of corruption, too.

Yeah, probably a dumb idea.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":ofwonrdm said:
BirdsCommaAngry":ofwonrdm said:

But that makes it hard to enjoy a win, too.

This is probably the wrong time to bring this up... but here goes:

I wonder if a capitalist approach to Refs would serve the league better than inside paid zebras. Allow outside agencies to train refs for pro football, then the league can hire them for pre-season, analyze their abilities, and award contracts to the best teams or individuals. The price may go up, but so will the product. And there may be less chance for or accusations of corruption, too.

Yeah, probably a dumb idea.

Ya....I agree. And the problem with this is there would not be the capability of controlling the game to make the PARITY that they desire to be available. They tried with the celery cap, but that did not work as there was a workaround that the Seahawks have made happen. Other teams are now in the realm of trying our product.

But I do like the lack of control factor. It rings true.