How do you feel about your bandwaggon jumpers?

Laloosh

Reaction score
I grew up traveling the US from the west coast to the mid-west between the ages of 4 and 13. I've been a Kansas City Royals fan, a Denver Broncos fan, and an Iowa Hawkeyes fan (I mean, the place that I used to get my haircut had a poster of a woman throwing up and a caption that read, "Oh my God, I just kissed a Corn Husker").

When I was 13, we moved back to the town in which I was born in Eastern Washington. I was not a Seahawks fan but there we stayed and I had an older cousin who was always pushing the Seahawks and Huskies on me. I completely looked up to the guy but he was a "coastie" as my uncles liked to call anyone that lived in Western Washington and they were cougar fans. I thought my uncles were a-holes so I decided I was a Husky and Seahawks fan. Been one ever since.

I'm now in my thirties, have become a "coastie" and I love the Seahawks and Huskies. I don't know what the definition of a bandwagon fan is but I won't fault anyone for their reasoning. Bandwagon, die hard, fanatic... come one, come all IMHO.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Why should I be bothered by it?? I was a new Seahawks fan at one time too. Why should they not be welcomed with open arms? Some, maybe even most, will become long-term fans eventually. I think the whole griping over bandwagonners is foolish anyway. Get over yourselves.

capncrunch

Reaction score
I followed football a lot as a kid, but drifted away from it for a while. I didn't really have a favorite team. So, at the end of the 2004 season I decided to pick a new team to be my favorite. I had a shortlist of the Jets, Falcons and Seahawks based mainly I guess on what I saw at the end of '04. The Seahawks won the competition for my fandom running away and I have stayed on board since in spite of their best efforts at times. My excitement has experienced steady growth since the arrival of PC and JS. Aside from being a great team now, there is something special about following this team. Some of the new fans will sense this and some won't. I think it is cool that players and coaches want to jump on the bandwagon. FAs seem to be thrilled to join this team or rookies to be drafted. That is good for all of us.

5280Hawk

Reaction score
Hey, I get the Appeal, right?

Plenty of room on the Wagon! Hop on!

chris98251

Reaction score
They can come in and visit as long as they don't use the bathroom or expect to be treated as RSVP types, although the forst time they ask if Cortez Kennedy is related to John F Kennedy they get banned.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
chris98251":3sulrg7p said:
They can come in and visit as long as they don't use the bathroom or expect to be treated as RSVP types, although the forst time they ask if Cortez Kennedy is related to John F Kennedy they get banned.

Some of us are fortunate to have been NFL fans before the creation of the Seahawks. Not everyone is coming from that same place, no reason to alienate new fans just because they don't know every past player. It gives you an opportunity to teach a new fan WHY Kennedy was such a bad ass, and pass along the passion.

Bipolar

Reaction score
well, exactly how do you suppose does someone become a football fan? being a bandwagon fan is the stage 1.

for instance, I jumped on the Seahawks bandwagon when they were doing their superbowl run with Shaun Alexander and have been a huge fan ever since.

OP
OP
AvengerRam

AvengerRam

Reaction score
I find it interesting that there are always two posters (the same two) who think that everything I post here has some sinister ulterior motive.

I think fans who have "paid their dues" through the lean years do enjoy the good times more than those who jump on when the skies are clear, but when you're in the stadium cheering, it doesn't matter much.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Three posters. Everything you do is a slow troll.

So, did you really ban a guy for starting the same topic on your site?

OP
OP
AvengerRam

AvengerRam

Reaction score
Scottemojo":236pufyg said:

Nope. He knows why he was banned. If you care that much, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it to you. Not relevant to this thread, though.

Oh... and sorry if you felt left out... THREE posters. :roll:

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1osn29kg said:
Three posters. Everything you do is a slow troll.

I did tease them a bit, but was forthright about it. The topic was removed, and my alias was banned within 10 minutes. That is no lie.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It depends on where the newcomers are appearing from. If they felt no team allegiance before seeing the Seahawks in action, welcome aboard. If they're jumping from the bandwagon of a team trapped in perpetual, decades-long suck like the Browns or Jaguars, then I'm too compassionate to criticize. Goodness knows they need some hope.

But if they're jumping from a team that's been good recently and is just experiencing a dry spell, then yeah, they're jumpers.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Who's the Fan!
I was a lad in Illinois, with 'kin' in Minnesota...
Said 'kin' were Vikings fans.
And since we visited, my uncle took us to games at the Met.
I saw Joe Kapps first game.
So I was a Vikings fan in my younger days, my brother still is.
I enlisted in the Navy in 1978, and moved to the West Coast.
Got to go to games, and was really interested in this 'new' team, with the 'cutting edge' look.
So I've been a Hawks fan since...
Soon to be 54, I'm hoping for a Super Bowl win before I am done.
Go Hawks!

Latest posts