How Did Okung's Replacement Do?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Not as good as Okung, Okung's injury is a pretty marginal/big loss now that I think about it, hope he comes back before end of year, then draft picks for OL.

HawkWow

Reaction score
He's a pro-bowl LT, the 2nd most important man on the team. His loss is as big as he is. BUT.. I am not overly concerned that the loss of Okung will cost us games. We will find a way. We are destined. I believe this.

That said, it's the type of injury that needs to fully heal. IF he comes back too soon, it will happen again and again. it could be a career ender. Seriously. I just want him back in time for the play-offs. Anything sooner will be bonus.

Why did he not take that toe to Switzerland, BTW? The US is still in the dark ages, medically speaking.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing McQuistan give up any sacks, but the running game would have been even more stout with Okung in, no doubt.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Twice they missed Blitzs. I am not sure who had the responsibility. Most of the time the FB is supposed to block or chip extra rushers but Coleman is not a great blocker. A lot of the time a TE was extra on the that side as well. The right side did a pretty good job of run blocking.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1fyys54z said:
I don't remember seeing McQuistan give up any sacks, but the running game would have been even more stout with Okung in, no doubt.
hmm, quoted the wrong person and it says I cannot delete posts on this forum. WTF?

Msfann

Reaction score
Is that new where you can't delete your posts? I know I was ranting about all of the commercials during sons of anarchy one day and after a bit I went to delete it and couldn't so I just edited it and said something else heh.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Meh. Max protect if need be. We are THAT good to overcome that band aid.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Msfann":19vjcln1 said:
Is that new where you can't delete your posts? I know I was ranting about all of the commercials during sons of anarchy one day and after a bit I went to delete it and couldn't so I just edited it and said something else heh.

After someone has posted after you, you can't delete it. It's always been that way with this forum. If nothing else, you can delete the message and just put NM. (No Message).

Msfann

Reaction score
I must have been wrong, I was sure I tried to delete it that day and nobody posted after me. But I just tried it now and it deleted it.

the ditch

Reaction score
PFF graded McQuistan terrible at a -4.6 and giving up 3 QB hurries
PFF was really high on Michael Bowie giving him a +2.6 with 1 QB hurry

Now, I'd have to go back and watch it to see how many snaps Bowie took at LT, apparently he was in 31/70 offensive plays, and McQuistan was in 54/70 offensive plays, but PFF listed Bowie as a LT for the game.

Anyone with more information on how many snaps Bowie took at LT and elsewhere, I'd be interested to hear because PFF liked him and this was the first game he has played in. How great would it be to have got another 7th round steal in this kid.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
McQuistan isn't terrible. neither is he great. He's medicore. hopefully he will keep improving until Okung is back. Okung's loss would be much more severe if we had a traditional pocket passer who was a statue back there. Luckily we can do things with wilson to minimize the talent drop-off at LT; a lot of that is going to require Wilson to make smart reads and adjustments at the line though too. A beast like Okung can help clean some of that up.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
McQuistan isn't terrible. neither is he great. He's medicore. hopefully he will keep improving until Okung is back. Okung's loss would be much more severe if we had a traditional pocket passer who was a statue back there. Luckily we can do things with wilson to minimize the talent drop-off at LT; a lot of that is going to require Wilson to make smart reads and adjustments at the line though too. A beast like Okung can help clean some of that up.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3e526l62 said:
I dare you to say that again LOLOL

Uthawk

Reaction score
Listening to Carroll on Brock and Danny this morning, I thought his responses were telling on his feelings toward the situation. Paul played "pretty well" and so we "survived that situation"

But then he went right to Bailey and Bowie, and he seemed much more excited about their play. It will be interesting to see their level of involvement going forward.

Edit: Here is the link to the interview on the Seahawks page. He starts discussing at 7:37

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
McQuistan played fine. PFF is a good site, but it's not gospel. He's a limited athlete and not a world beater, but we could be much, much worse off.

At some point, we need to realize that there are very few elite Tackles in the NFL. If yours gets hurt, he's not being replaced by a Pro Bowler. I'd caution arbitrarily throwing a bunch of high draft picks at e OL assuming this makes you great. English had a great article the other day about this topic. IF the right OT or OG is there, draft him. Just don't get caught up in the every OL needs to be an All Pro 1st rounder.

Chicago just lost Melton for the year and they are not replacing him with another elite DT. Either they compensate or they lose. just a simple fact of the NFL and playing a violent sport in general. We will compensate for Okung's absence.

kearly

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2pz06fr6 said:
Twice they missed Blitzs. I am not sure who had the responsibility. Most of the time the FB is supposed to block or chip extra rushers but Coleman is not a great blocker. A lot of the time a TE was extra on the that side as well. The right side did a pretty good job of run blocking.

One blitz I remember was a blitz up the middle with no extra help and no-dump off pass. I think Wilson ran for his life and threw the ball away. But this is a problem for Seattle, and it has zero to do with the OL. As far as I'm concerned, it's on Bevell, and maybe even a little on Wilson for not hitting his hot routes.

kearly

Reaction score
the ditch":vxwxcwff said:

I trust PFF for grading Seattle's OL about as much as I trust QBR for a single game evaluation. It is wildly inconsistent and the final verdict frequently baffles me.

That said, I hope Pete sees things the same way PFF did when he watches tape today. I would much rather have Bowie or Bailey at LT than McQuistan.

What I find interesting is that Bowie has apparently over-taken Bailey on the depth chart. Bowie was basically a poor man's version of Bailey during the preseason. Has that changed since, or is this just the latest case of Seattle mis-evaluating their own talent? It still floors me that Tom Cable thought Mike Person was better than Bailey or Bowie.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":1yy8tq4o said:
the ditch":1yy8tq4o said:

I trust PFF for grading Seattle's OL about as much as I trust QBR for a single game evaluation. It is wildly inconsistent and the final verdict frequently baffles me.

That said, I hope Pete sees things the same way PFF did when he watches tape today. I would much rather have Bowie or Bailey at LT than McQuistan.

What I find interesting is that Bowie has apparently over-taken Bailey on the depth chart. Bowie was basically a poor man's version of Bailey during the preseason. Has that changed since, or is this just the latest case of Seattle mis-evaluating their own talent? It still floors me that Tom Cable thought Mike Person was better than Bailey or Bowie.

I don't think Bowie has overtaken Bailey. IIRC, Bailey was playing LT and Bowie was playing RT. And as far as Person, I don't think Cable sees him as better than B&B but maybe more versatile.

Latest posts