Hopefully the players are not/will not....

OP
OP
A

akscoundrel

Reaction score
volsunghawk":vbigvwbt said:
I hope you understand that this team is largely made up of the guys who made it to the divisional round last year and lost. If you think that after that experience, the players will be satisfied with just a division title, then I'd argue you haven't been paying attention to this team.

And it's the postseason, man... a whole different animal than the regular season.

A different animal indeed(which goes both ways BTW), and yes I have been paying attention. I trust the leaders on this team. Just saying, I trusted them going into the stick and against Arizona at home aswell. So, what gives?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
akscoundrel":1schhonj said:
volsunghawk":1schhonj said:
I hope you understand that this team is largely made up of the guys who made it to the divisional round last year and lost. If you think that after that experience, the players will be satisfied with just a division title, then I'd argue you haven't been paying attention to this team.

And it's the postseason, man... a whole different animal than the regular season.

A different animal indeed(which goes both ways BTW), and yes I have been paying attention. I trust the leaders on this team. Just saying, I trusted them going into the stick and against Arizona at home aswell. So, what gives?

What gives is that winning against a good team on the road is incredibly difficult. That's what happened in SF. Too many people made the mistake of thinking that the two blowouts against the Niners in Seattle meant that we had their number. It means, instead, that SF - while still a very good team - just has issues in Seattle. Those issues don't mean as much in SF.

What also gives is that Arizona was fighting for their playoff lives while Seattle was not. That's not all, though. Arizona was ALSO playing better ball - especially on D - than just about any team in the league over the last half of the season. New Orleans simply doesn't have that kind of D, and I don't see how they can clamp down on the Seattle offense like Arizona did.

Here's a question for you. If you're so willing to point to the Arizona and SF games as evidence of the team betraying your "trust", why don't you point to the first New Orleans game? Plenty of folks were worried about how Seattle would play coming off of a bye and were concerned that we hadn't faced an offense of the Saints' caliber. And we absolutely crushed them. That earns the team no faith?

themunn

Reaction score
I admit I was overconfident in the Jim Mora Jr years and as a result the players must have been overconfident too, that's why they lost all those games.

But I reined it in this year and they've done really well. The only two times I could really say I got overconfident about a victory this year was against the Colts and then at home to Arizona, but I've learned my lesson.

That said, I think we're going to SMASH New Orleans, so if we lose I will regretfully take the blame for being overconfident once again

AgentDib

Reaction score
There are a couple of minor reasons why (.NET forum) fan overconfidence may matter just a little.

1. Crowd noise at C-Link has always been directly proportional to how much we as fans thought it was necessary at the time. While it should be very loud for a playoff game the falling ticket prices are one data point that shows crowd excitement for this divisional game may be slightly blunted by our previous MNF beat down. I strongly doubt this is relevant for these forums, however, since only a small percentage of posters will be going to the game and those are likely to be the ones who are loud no matter what.

2. Overreaction to failure. The more overconfidence about an outcome, the larger the resulting meltdown if things do not go our way. Some may be worried about unrealistic expectations in a futile effort to keep things sane in the event of a loss. In reality, no amount of "Don't forget it's hard to beat the same team twice!" is going to stop the ensuing drama if we do anything but win the Superbowl this year.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
akscoundrel":11altiy8 said:
SalishHawkFan":11altiy8 said:
There are two things I find most annoying on fan forums: The "super"fans who think their team is going to blow out the opponent no matter what and the guys who warn us against overconfidence. One is just being a fan, but bringing no substance to the discussion, the other is just being silly.

Yes, warnings against the pitfalls of overconfidence, complacency and arrogance is just being silly.....

If it bugs you so much, get a sign, a sharpie, write exactly how you feel and take it up with VMAC parking lot and the PLAYERS who arrive at 4 AM (Wilson) in the morning and NOT the FANS of the Team whose only impact on the field is in te noise generated from the stands.

Since I put a lot of work into this from my smartphone, I will just leave this here:

REASONS TO BE CONFIDENT:

Out of the 8 teams left in the Play-Offs the Seahawks RANK

DEFENSE (WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS):
#1 in Total Defense (Yards Allowed)
#1 in Total Defense (Points Allowed)
#1 in Total Defense (Yards Per Play)
#1 in Total Defense (Turnovers)
#3 in First Downs Allowed

#1 in Passing Defense (Yards Allowed)
#1 in Passing Touchdowns Allowed
#1 in Passing Yards Allowed Per Attempt
#1 in Interceptions (by far, closest team has -8)
#4 in Sacks (#3 in Sack%, could be higher in terms of Overall Pressure)
#1 in QB rating Against
#3 in Comp% Against

#4 in Rushing Defense (Yards allowed)
#1 in Yards/Carry (Tied with DEN, SFO)
#2 in Yards/Attempt
#1 in Rushing TDs allowed

OFFENSIVELY:
#3 in Total Yards
#3 in Scoring
#4 in Yards Per Play
#3 in Turnovers (Tied with 2 other teams)

#6 in Passing Yards
#4 in Passing TDs
#2 in Passing TD%
#2 in Least Ints Thrown
#1 in Yards Per Attempt
#2 in Adjusted Yards Per Attempt
#2 in Net Yardage Per Attempt
#4 in Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt
#2 in Yards Per Catch
#4 in QB Rating

#2 in Rushing Yards
#4 in Yards Per Attempt
#4 in Rushing TDs

Only Negatives:
#6 in Interception%
#7 in First Downs
#8 in Sacks Allowed
#8 in Sack Allowed%

SPECIAL TEAMS:
#2 in Field Goal%
#4 in FG scoring

#8 in Yards Per Punt (but...)
#1 in Punting Yards Allowed Per Return (and...)
#2 in Longest Punt (we know Ryan has a powerful leg)
#1 in Yards gained per Punt Return
#8 in Yards gained per Kick Return (w/ Harvin and/or Baldwin it has to be #1/top 3)
#4 in Kicking Yards Allowed Per Return

Out of 45 categories listed the Seahawks ranked:

Amongst the top 4 teams 38 times (bottom 4: 7 times)
Amongst the top 3 teams 28 times (bottom 3: 7 times)
Amongst the top 2 teams 23 times (bottom 2: 5 times)
....As the #1 ranked team 15 times.(the worst: 4 times)

Sure we have faults, every team in the Play-Offs does, but Seahawks are still pretty awesome and they are at the CLINK with the 12th man with their backs.

We are 15-1 @ Home with Wilson at QB.

Seahawks also haven't lost at Home in the Post-Season since 2004 to the Rams, I believe. 5-0 in our last 5.

So yeah we have every right to be optimistic, to be confident, to be cocky, and to simply be amazed at what this team has accomplished.

People can have their doubts, no ones stopping you, just sort of get to the back wall, and keep out of the way of the people who are celebrating the success and quit calling them out because you have your concerns. AND yes we know we haven't won it yet, but its just like a New Year's Eve Party. People don't start dancing at 11:59 pm, no they celebrate, have fun, get wild, parade around in festivity for many hours before that final moment where they can erupt and bask in the glory of the New Year.

Just because the Seahawks haven't reached their New Year, doesn't mean we can't enjoy the party as long as we are still in it.

Also, everyone should know if they don't already:

FAN CONFIDENCE DOES NOT = TEAM ARROGANCE

The team knows what is at stake and how much this city wants a championship team, but they control their own destiny. Its win or go home.

All we can do is choose to be the optimist or pessimist about it. I will always choose optimism.

OP
OP
A

akscoundrel

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1zeshear said:
akscoundrel":1zeshear said:

What gives is that winning against a good team on the road is incredibly difficult. That's what happened in SF. Too many people made the mistake of thinking that the two blowouts against the Niners in Seattle meant that we had their number. It means, instead, that SF - while still a very good team - just has issues in Seattle. Those issues don't mean as much in SF.

What also gives is that Arizona was fighting for their playoff lives while Seattle was not. That's not all, though. Arizona was ALSO playing better ball - especially on D - than just about any team in the league over the last half of the season. New Orleans simply doesn't have that kind of D, and I don't see how they can clamp down on the Seattle offense like Arizona did.

What gives is we were/are the better team and shouldn't have lost...

Here's a question for you. If you're so willing to point to the Arizona and SF games as evidence of the team betraying your "trust", why don't you point to the first New Orleans game? Plenty of folks were worried about how Seattle would play coming off of a bye and were concerned that we hadn't faced an offense of the Saints' caliber. And we absolutely crushed them. That earns the team no faith?

So I'm sitting here warning about the pitfalls of overconfidence, arrogance and complacency.....and you're gonna point to us crushing the saints in week 13? As if you're trying to just give me an example of exactly the reason why we WOULD be overconfident, complacent and arrogant?

And yes, I trust the leaders of this team. But they are human....

Weadoption

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham is the one I would be concerned with, he is the only elite mismatch they have on offense.
You know Payton is going for broke here with the playcalling, should be a good one.

seahawks08

Reaction score
So far what I have heard and listening to Russel this morning, he said it will be one of the situations where you got to be clutch. I am sure the players, the coaches are all preparing as they know this is a one and done scenario. Nobody will be taking this lightly leave alone the fans. As a fan, I appreciate the opportunity we have and to be in a playoffs. I am excited to go to the game and I expect a tough game, but I believe in the preparation and the mind set that our team is in, I am sure we will prevail. I won't be worried as I used to be for so long, I am just excited and lucky to experience destiny!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
akscoundrel":2ll2p1qr said:

Hate to break it to you, but better teams lose to worse teams all the time in the NFL. Upsets are a real thing. And it doesn't necessarily have to do with overconfidence each time.

akscoundrel":2ll2p1qr said:
So I'm sitting here warning about the pitfalls of overconfidence, arrogance and complacency.....and you're gonna point to us crushing the saints in week 13? As if you're trying to just give me an example of exactly the reason why we WOULD be overconfident, complacent and arrogant?

I point to that game because there were the warnings about overconfidence THEN, too. People were riding pretty high coming off the Atlanta and Minnesota wins, PLUS we had the worry about the Seahawks post-bye history of losses. And then the Seahawks got up for that game and just destroyed New Orleans.

Make no mistake. This is the most important game for this team so far this year. More important than the game at SF. More important than the home game against Arizona. And I have no doubt that the team will be ready and prepared to do what it takes to win the game. Much like they did in the home game against the Rams (another game that due to scheduling and playoff scenarios, was ALSO more important than the @SF and Arizona games).

I would argue that we definitely HAVE seen this team suffer from overconfidence this season, but I'd also argue that we have only seen it once - against Tampa.

OP
OP
A

akscoundrel

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2hwt5b3v said:
akscoundrel":2hwt5b3v said:

Hate to break it to you, but better teams lose to worse teams all the time in the NFL. Upsets are a real thing. And it doesn't necessarily have to do with overconfidence each time.

And it can happen again come Saturday. Case in point, the team feeds off the fans energy, bring your a game.

akscoundrel":2hwt5b3v said:

I point to that game because there were the warnings about overconfidence THEN, too. People were riding pretty high coming off the Atlanta and Minnesota wins, PLUS we had the worry about the Seahawks post-bye history of losses. And then the Seahawks got up for that game and just destroyed New Orleans.

Make no mistake. This is the most important game for this team so far this year. More important than the game at SF. More important than the home game against Arizona. And I have no doubt that the team will be ready and prepared to do what it takes to win the game. Much like they did in the home game against the Rams (another game that due to scheduling and playoff scenarios, was ALSO more important than the @SF and Arizona games).

I would argue that we definitely HAVE seen this team suffer from overconfidence this season, but I'd also argue that we have only seen it once - against Tampa.

So Sherman and many other players thinking we'd blow the niners out at the stick wasnt overconfidence?

And this time around is way different than last time around. However high we were after wins over Atlanta and minne, most to all of us understood that Atlanta and minne were not teams of new Orleans caliber.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wow, drama drama drama. Makes me think of "Glum" from the old cartoon. "It'll never worrrrrrk"
Or Debbie Downer from SNL, wha wha whaaaaaaaa

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
akscoundrel":37ga086f said:
volsunghawk":37ga086f said:

And it can happen again come Saturday. Case in point, the team feeds off the fans energy, bring your a game.

So Sherman and many other players thinking we'd blow the niners out at the stick wasnt overconfidence?

And this time around is way different than last time around. However high we were after wins over Atlanta and minne, most to all of us understood that Atlanta and minne were not teams of new Orleans caliber.

Tampa Bay game was NOT overconfidence. Heath Farwell, I believe, said in a radio interview that the team's schedule was thrown off with vs Titans, @ARI on TNF, @ STL on MNF, then another short week vs the Bucs.

Offensively, the Seahawks had 3 uncharacteristic Turnovers, 2 INTs of which prevented at least 6 to 14 Seahawks points. And the other a KR fumble that gave TB a short-field automatic 3 but they got 7. Not to mention a Thomas INT that would have prevented a TB score that was negated.

Defensively, it was just a bad game plan, in Glennon first 3 starts, he threw it 45+ times, and Quinn for whatever reason like the Rams game was still tinkering around with the pass-rush formations, maybe it was out of necessity, using the games to iron out the wrinkles moving forward, but it definitely left huge weaknesses in our Run Defense that TB exploited much like STL. And the moment DQ, adjusted to stop the run, TB attacked the Seahawks D over the top for long scores. Once we adjusted to that, the game was all Seahawks allowing just 3 points in the final 40 minutes as opposed to 21 in the first 28.

hawker84

Reaction score
akscoundrel":100eq9fs said:
Sarlacc83":100eq9fs said:
Is this the 40 or 50th topic started about fan overconfidence?

Obviously it can't be stated enough.....

Treefiddy":100eq9fs said:
Who cares if we do. Saints are soft, this is a horrible match up for them. We are going to shove it down their throats.

It still amazes me fans feel the need to warn other fans of being over confident, like what we think or say matters in the least. We're fans, we have no control over the play on the field other than being loud at the right time. that is it...

Obviously what fans say or think means nothing in regards what actually happens on the field... If fans want to be over confident that's there right, as long as the players/coaches stay focused who cares....

ceej22

Reaction score
I guarantee you the team believes they will win by 14. Just as they did when they went down to SF. However, unlike the Tampa game they will not sleep on the Saints. They will prepare, they will be ready, and they will come out on top whether by 14+ or 1. But make no mistake they will go into that game believing they can shut down Drew Brees again.

The only games I felt they were overconfident AND slept on a team were Tampa and AZ. And AZ is questionable as to whether they slept on them or just had a bad game. Tampa was clear as they came out and let them go up 21-0 but when they realized they could lose they turned up the heat and came out on top.

I do not feel the SF game was lost due to overconfidence and lack of preparation. 2 big plays and our penalty problems won that for SF.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
akscoundrel":1f196df9 said:

What on Earth are you basing that off of?! Now you're just making crap up. No Seahawks players said anything or acted in any way as if they were going to blow out SF in SF. They all knew that was a challenge. Get real dude. Hoping the team is focused is one thing. But you're going overboard here and looking silly. And as for the fans being overconfident, so what? Good thing they aren't playing the game.

The Saints very well might come in here and win. But it won't be due to overconfidence on Seattle's part. Some Seattle fans think that's the only way the Hawks ever lose. No, you can also lose because you're playing a good team that is also trying to win the football game. This crap is so ridiculous. You really think the Hawks are going to go through the entire season with the focus and intensity they did, just to get to the playoffs and take it all for granted?

Stop reading Seahawks fans overconfidence as interpreting/mixing it into how the team is thinking. You're clearly letting the fans get to you. Just ignore them. They don't matter. They aren't playing.

formido

Reaction score
Since you keep conflating the effect of fan versus player expectations--despite clear explanations of the difference--and keep switching the goalposts of what you're worried about on a comment by comment basis, and are so passionately energetic in responding while taking limited heed of what's been said, I suspect you are trolling.

If you aren't trolling, then your primary error is that you think Seattle lost any of its games due to "overconfidence", which is an incredibly silly claim. Of course, despite your protestations, what really appears to bother you is fan "overconfidence". It would probably be less stressful for you if you just let other people feel however they want since neither your nor their feelings have any effect on the outcomes of games.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I think everyone should show up at the Clink, and instead of screaming their heads off...
Sit in their seats and collectively wring their hands, with a look of worried concern on their faces.
Would that satisfy the OP?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I will just add this to the topic, it does seem like whenever we felt the most comfortable as fans going into a game (Tampa Bay, the Niners the 2nd time and the Cards game at home) that's our guys did seem to have a lackluster performance. Not saying that we can't be confident, but lets also be cautious as this game will in now way look like the 1st time we played the Saints.

terrytogo

Reaction score
Weadoption":3hzf7h7y said:
Jimmy Graham is the one I would be concerned with, he is the only elite mismatch they have on offense.
You know Payton is going for broke here with the playcalling, should be a good one.

Good point.

We also have Sproles who, only two seasons ago, broke the NFL record for total yards in a season. I wouldn't count him out either.
Beyond that, everyone else just does their job very well, no superstars. (Except for Drew)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
akscoundrel":4mll4owc said:
SalishHawkFan":4mll4owc said:
There are two things I find most annoying on fan forums: The "super"fans who think their team is going to blow out the opponent no matter what and the guys who warn us against overconfidence. One is just being a fan, but bringing no substance to the discussion, the other is just being silly.

Yes, warnings against the pitfalls of overconfidence, complacency and arrogance is just being silly.....

yes, warning fans is silly...

we have no impact on the game. Go warn the players if you feel the need.

Latest posts