Holy Crap: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
To me, Haslam saying there was an "opportunity" means that Harbaugh either reached out to them or the Browns reached out to the 49ers and the interest in doing a deal was reciprocated. Cleveland would only initiate contact first if they strongly felt Harbaugh wanted out of San Francisco. Lombardi's son works for San Francisco under Harbaugh, so it's easy to see how they would get this information without tampering with Harbaugh directly.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
There is something going on there. Does it make sense? Absolutely not. But we are talking about Harbafreak here. I imagine that the Yorks likely want Harbs to stay and get them another Lombardi while they are relatively close. It is obviously hard to do these days and to miss out would be devastating to them. Baalke may have issues, who knows?

Then there is the JJ/JJ type scenario. 2 Super Bowl wins in a row, team established, bring in Nimrod and try again with same team leading to the inevitable meltdown. Heck, the Niners haven't even won anything yet (they were the first ones to tell us that just making the Super Bowl means nothing right?)

The Hawks gave Mora one year and canned his ass with the best coach in franchise history hired the next day. A lot of people laughed at that idea too.

I'm sure Harbafreak is staying put, but it would be pretty funny if he bailed.

drdiags

Reaction score
Marvin49":a7x55zso said:
Just another voice in the choir at this point, but Matt Barrows is on of the best 49ers beat writers out there along with Matt Maiocco.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/

Sounds feasible, at least to me since it isn't my organization. Haslam needs to come completely clean and clear on what he means, since he is leaving a lot to interpretation. Haslam has a very shaky organization right now and I still wonder if he is going to miss out on jail time or not. I wouldn't want to do business with his club right now. Seems like the messes there only get worse.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I don't know what's more enjoyable.

The absolute chaos this story is providing, the 'comical ali' defense of Marvin or the inevitability that this is going to end in one great big mess... probably after a lost season.

It's like the 49ers decided to join in our Super Bowl celebrations with this little corker.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3rzqs6l3 said:
Ah, so it's the media's fault. Got it. :34853_doh: :roll:
I think you and your buddy Marv are going to be the most shocked/stunned when the crap really hits the fan down there and someone gets canned/quits.

????

Are you serious or just trolling?

If serious, you might have missed my post when I said I wouldn't be surprised at all if Harbaugh is gone in two years. IIRC I've said it a couple times now here, and even gone into depth on a long post based on a night of drinking with a guy who works in the 9ers FO.

Likewise, if your takeaway from my post was that it is "the media's fault" you either weren't that invested in reading it or I wasn't clear.

Like any team, the 9ers have some very good beat reporters and some fringe guys that nobody listens to. I know Seattle is a smaller market, but I'd be shocked if it isn't the same way there. Kawakami is one of those guys. Grant and Lowell Cohn are the other two. There are also four really excellent 9ers beat reporters, and Kawakami isn't one of them, and isn't even a 9ers reporter (he covers the Warriors and Raiders). And as I've said on more than one occasion, over the years Matt Barrows has proven himself to really be on the ball, to really know what he's talking about (as have others; Maiocco, Branch, and sometimes Inman), and to also rely on sources and to quote sources, unlike the hacks who just opinionate. Here is Barrow's summary after actually talking to people with some knowledge of what's going on (in contrast to Kawakami's self-labeled speculative pieces and tweets that he's writing while on vacation right now):

Shortly after the 49ers season ended on Jan. 19, the Browns called to inquire about 49ers assistant coaches Greg Roman and Jim Tomsula, according to a source with knowledge of the conversation. During subsequent conversations, Jim Harbaugh's name also came up, at which point then-Browns CEO Joe Banner listed the compensation Cleveland was willing to provide for the 49ers head coach.

The source, however, said the offer was rebuffed and the conversation never developed from there.

To be clear if the tables were reversed and Kawakami said this and Barrows said the 9ers' sky is falling and the team as we know it is done for, I'd still believe Barrows in a heartbeat.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... baugh.html

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ryuphgbw said:
Sports Hernia":ryuphgbw said:
Ah, so it's the media's fault. Got it. :34853_doh: :roll:
I think you and your buddy Marv are going to be the most shocked/stunned when the crap really hits the fan down there and someone gets canned/quits.

????

Are you serious or just trolling?

If serious, you might have missed my post when I said I wouldn't be surprised at all if Harbaugh is gone in two years. IIRC I've said it a couple times now here, and even gone into depth on a long post based on a night of drinking with a guy who works in the 9ers FO.

Likewise, if your takeaway from my post was that it is "the media's fault" you either weren't that invested in reading it or I wasn't clear.

Like any team, the 9ers have some very good beat reporters and some fringe guys that nobody listens to. I know Seattle is a smaller market, but I'd be shocked if it isn't the same way there. Kawakami is one of those guys. Grant and Lowell Cohn are the other two. There are also four really excellent 9ers beat reporters, and Kawakami isn't one of them, and isn't even a 9ers reporter (he covers the Warriors and Raiders). And as I've said on more than one occasion, over the years Matt Barrows has proven himself to really be on the ball, to really know what he's talking about (as have others; Maiocco, Branch, and sometimes Inman), and to also rely on sources and to quote sources, unlike the hacks who just opinionate. Here is Barrow's summary after actually talking to people with some knowledge of what's going on (in contrast to Kawakami's self-labeled speculative pieces and tweets that he's writing while on vacation right now):

Shortly after the 49ers season ended on Jan. 19, the Browns called to inquire about 49ers assistant coaches Greg Roman and Jim Tomsula, according to a source with knowledge of the conversation. During subsequent conversations, Jim Harbaugh's name also came up, at which point then-Browns CEO Joe Banner listed the compensation Cleveland was willing to provide for the 49ers head coach.

The source, however, said the offer was rebuffed and the conversation never developed from there.

To be clear if the tables were reversed and Kawakami said this and Barrows said the 9ers' sky is falling and the team as we know it is done for, I'd still believe Barrows in a heartbeat.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... baugh.html

Don't bother dude. The only argument style he knows is straw man.

That's why he's on my ignore list.

Some (but not all) of the posters in this thread just want to see this as a crack in the 49ers armor and use it to have a little fun. Can't say I blame them.

Totally agree on Barrows and Maiocco. I don't like the guy that much, but Peter King tweeted almost the same thing last night. Florio just so desperately wants not to be proven wrong that he posts articles when anyone supports him and ignores anyone who doesn't.

As I've been saying from the start, I think this was taken far more seriously by the Browns than by the 49ers. As Barrows remarked, that's probably why the comments from the organizations is so different.

I also think the tension in SF between Harbaugh and Baslke is real and it's something to keep an eye on.

Just a side note. In Barrows article he mentions that there were reports of friction in regards to Harbaugh and Baalke and that Harbaughs extension was in question. Guess who reported that? Tim Kawakami.

The guy is Skip Bayless of Bay Area news. All he ever wants to to is stir sh*t up.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2o9n6yby said:
Some (but not all) of the posters in this thread just want to see this as a crack in the 49ers armor and use it to have a little fun. Can't say I blame them.

So why are you here?

Mods -- do we have to put up with this all off-season? Is it impossible to enjoy a thread these days that pokes fun at our nearest and dearest without the goof ball brothers turning it into a long winded argument on why NOTHING NEGATIVE EVER HAPPENS TO THE NINERS.

Mods?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1jokp3e2 said:
So why are you here?

Mods -- do we have to put up with this all off-season? Is it impossible to enjoy a thread these days that pokes fun at our nearest and dearest without the goof ball brothers turning it into a long winded argument on why NOTHING NEGATIVE EVER HAPPENS TO THE NINERS.

Mods?

Dude, you're begging for the mods in a post where you're not contributing anything beyond attacking other posters? C'mon man. :)

Seriously though, I do find it odd that you truly seem to believe that Marvin and I don't ever critique the 9ers or talk about their flaws and weaknesses and potential long-term trouble spots. We both do that all the time. Like every single team there's no shortage of them at all. If you actually care I'm more than happy to create a list for you from my perspective. Marvin really knows the team too. I'd bet we'd probably agree on 90% of the 9ers short and long term problems and potential problems.

What if, this one time, Kawakami is right?

Then the prudent reader or reader who actually cared would have already noticed me repeatedly saying that Kawakami saying something doesn't say much to it being true or untrue (meaning it very well could be true ), and that it wouldn't surprise me at all if Harbaugh is gone in two years because both he and Baalke are difficult personalities and Harbaugh is likely the more difficult of the two.

Better buy some more underpants, fella's.

If the tactic is to just keep going after me in the hopes that I'll start to care or will eventually insult you back, it's time for a new strategy. It's just not gonna happen. When I choose to leave it's sadly going to be on my own terms. Sorry, man. On the bright side for you though I'm having a daughter in mid-March, so I suspect you'll be done with me soon enough. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":zbr3cpmy said:
theENGLISHseahawk":zbr3cpmy said:
So why are you here?

Mods?

Dude, you're begging for the mods in a post where you're not contributing anything beyond attacking other posters? C'mon man. :)

Seriously though, I do find it odd that you truly seem to believe that Marvin and I don't ever critique the 9ers or talk about their flaws and weaknesses and potential long-term trouble spots. We both do that all the time. Like every single team there's no shortage of them at all. I'm more than happy to create a list for you, man. :)

Lol. I have him on ignore so didn't see his post until you quoted it.

Wow. He wants us banned because we defend our team? Jeez. That's rich.

All he has to do is what I did...put me on ignore and he doesn't have to read my post. Seems pretty simple.

chris98251

Reaction score
Since this is a discussion about the 49ers I think a bit of latitude is in order for them to defend a position, they are going to look at it from a more positive side then we are, and yes we enjoy seeing the cauldron bubble as to be expected.

As Seahawks fans we see a perspective of discourse, they see it as a media hype with much ado about nothing and business as usual for the most part.

I thnk there is a problem and that the real topic will be will the 49ers be able to weather this and work thru it before un repairable damage is done to one sides ego, and there are some large ego's involved.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
There's definitely some truth to the story, like the tension,etc. but I don't think it was as close as a as Florio made it seem from his initial report. I don't mind if this continues on for the rest of the off-season though.

:snack: :beach:

drdiags

Reaction score
JLC wants to chime in:

I've long expected Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh, and we all know he already tried to hire him before firing a coach in the past. I'm also not surprised that the Browns made an attempt to land him as well, although, from what I have heard of that situation, Cleveland's approach did not get very far. Still, if other teams sense a vulnerability there, they will continue to explore, and it's hard to imagine Harbaugh coaching out a lame-duck year there in 2015 if he hasn't received an extension by then.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...elationship-with-49ers-brass-is-getting-worse

I tend to take JLC with a grain of salt. I find Glazer more plugged into stuff. Don't have much faith in Schefter or Mortenson either. Must be combine week.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
From the La Canfora story (Harbaugh and Baalke are barely speaking):

INDIANAPOLIS -- Things are not getting better behind the scenes for the San Francisco 49ers. There was a persistent rumble throughout the combine about the extent of the rift between coach Jim Harbaugh and the team's front office. It doesn't seem like it will go away, and there is increasing buzz that the team might have to decide between Harbaugh or GM Trent Baalke.

The men are barely speaking, I'm told, and almost all communication is through email. Harbaugh also has a strained relationship with team president Paraag Marathe, sources said, and he has clashed with many within the organization. It could prove untenable. If anything, the impression I got this week was that the situation there is actually much worse than how it has been portrayed in the media, and helps explain the delay in giving a new deal to the coach, who has two years left on a contract he has outperformed.

Marvin49

Reaction score
drdiags":36l3vird said:
JLC wants to chime in:

I've long expected Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh, and we all know he already tried to hire him before firing a coach in the past. I'm also not surprised that the Browns made an attempt to land him as well, although, from what I have heard of that situation, Cleveland's approach did not get very far. Still, if other teams sense a vulnerability there, they will continue to explore, and it's hard to imagine Harbaugh coaching out a lame-duck year there in 2015 if he hasn't received an extension by then.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...elationship-with-49ers-brass-is-getting-worse

I tend to take JLC with a grain of salt. I find Glazer more plugged into stuff. Don't have much faith in Schefter or Mortenson either. Must be combine week.

Yeah, I was just about to post that link.

I have no trouble believing the tension is real.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
LOL, let Marvin and Popeye post here. I am enjoying them trying to reassure themselves that there is nothing seriously wrong with the 49ers. I expect them to do that as Niners fans, but it's clearly not the case and their homer blinders are fully on. When Harbaugh gets traded to Miami in three weeks, I can just imagine their panic and laugh.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
chris98251":gj50omuy said:
Since this is a discussion about the 49ers I think a bit of latitude is in order for them to defend a position, they are going to look at it from a more positive side then we are, and yes we enjoy seeing the cauldron bubble as to be expected.

As Seahawks fans we see a perspective of discourse, they see it as a media hype with much ado about nothing and business as usual for the most part.

I thnk there is a problem and that the real topic will be will the 49ers be able to weather this and work thru it before un repairable damage is done to one sides ego, and there are some large ego's involved.

Thanks for the post.

FWIW though I don't think it's just media hype/business as usual. I think it's definitely getting the treatment that the Florios and Kawakamis of the world* are aiming for, which shouldn't surprise any of us, nor is it surprising that those guys manage to drown out the more sober beat reporters who actually report things straight, which ends up always being a lot less interesting.

Honestly, I think it's a sign of a bigger thing:

Harbaugh is underpaid. Harbaugh has been underpaid since the moment he decided to be underpaid rather than going to the Dolphins. We've been talking about an extension for Harbaugh for a year now and everyone has been freaking out about what it means that he doesn't have one yet because he's underpaid. It's why Harbaugh and the meaning of his non-extension so far has gotten talked about for a year while PC's non-extension so far (they signed contracts of the same length at the same time) hasn't been talked about until the last week. And him being underpaid might end up causing him to leave. It may be because John York will continue his trend of not being willing to pay for coaching, or because animosity has built up over him being underpaid. That's the issue, though.

I think that's really the major issue. If there are personnel disagreements between him and Baalke (and personal disagreements) that also wouldn't surprise me AT ALL.

*re: Kawakami, if anyone thinks Marvin and I don't like the guy, he's actually a Raiders beat reporter and Raiders fans haaaaaaaaaaaaate him. About five years back he got in a crazy moment with a Raiders exec for just making stuff up out of thin air. Of course, Lowell Cohen was the only guy who backed up Kawakami in the whole thing.

Edit: it's on youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruiUgDyMf60

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Smelly:

Just saw your post above after posting mine. Look at Marvin's post before yours and my post that was written concurrently.

Honestly, it's like you're not even reading what we're writing and are just taking potshots at us off of bizarre caricatures you've constructed for stupid and pathetic 9ers fans. It's really not productive, IMO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
From the La Canfora piece:

Harbaugh also has a strained relationship with team president Paraag Marathe, sources said

This sounds true too. Baalke handles roster/draft decisions and Paraag handles salary cap (he's working together with Baalke) so these are the people he'd be fighting with, and with his personality (and Baalke's) it doesn't surprise me at all they'd be having a personal conflict over personnel conflicts.

Think I posted this yesterday but I have to imagine it grates on Baalke (and Marathe) when Harbaugh gives pressers and talks about FAs they need to bring back and guys who deserve to get paid. Yesterday he did it again with Boldin, and even clarified that it's wasn't "just him" who felt that way; the subtext being that Baalke and Marathe agree on this one.

This is all guessing, but I'd guess there was probably a little something to the Owen Marecic thing last year, Baalke might have given Harbaugh reign over the backup QB situation (which was a revolving door and a train wreck) which might have caused some tension, as well as some other things (e.g. Baalke's strategy of drafting redshirt players which is a great long term strategy but doesn't help Harbaugh who wants a Super Bowl now and wants his pay raise; something over the AJ Jenkins bust (a player who NEVER made sense given what Harbaugh wants out of receivers, which is very similar to PC); in relation to Harbaugh's unwillingness to utilize the team's RB depth after Baalke gave him LaMichael James (who Harbaugh adored); the unwillingness to rotate in defensive players until this year, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.