"Holdout" news of Earl Thomas

bmorepunk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":bk30pto1 said:
purpleneer":bk30pto1 said:
NFSeahawks628":bk30pto1 said:
WmHBonney":bk30pto1 said:
What would Belichick do?

Trade him for multiple draft picks and draft his replacement.
He wouldn't be in the situation around Earl that we're in. He'd admit that they way we won before isn't the only way we can win. He wouldn't pretend that it's even possible in the modern NFL to accomplish the ultimate goal more than a time or two by trying to do the same things week-to-week and year-to-year.
Individually, Earl might be a guy he would work to keep, but he wouldn't have tried to have as much of a "core" as the Hawks have tried and he would find it a lot easier to do. As it is, the injury history along with Earl's physical style and small size would probably still prevent him from committing as much as it might take.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england- ... urty-6536/

Yeah, the Devin McCourty thing is funny in terms of Thomas. Both are making about the same amount of money. But I hear Belechick would never resign players past their rookie contracts if they are expensive unless they are Brady. Never. Especially at the same position that we're talking about in this forum.

I have been assured of this.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
A-Dog":3tjf8ldm said:
MontanaHawk05":3tjf8ldm said:
The only reason I'd consider trading Earl is because we happen to have found a possibly Pro Bowl caliber replacement. If Steven Terrell were still warming the bench here, I wouldn't even think about it, and most likely, neither would Earl's most ardent haters.

Are you referring to McDougald? The guy who ran a 4.76 second 40-yard draft at the combine? No way he can play single high safety effectively.

I'm not opposed to trading earl but either the defense would need to change significantly or another safety would have to be signed.

To set the record straight.
Bradley McDougald ran a 4.51/40, 2.62/20, 1.63/10, 33"-vert, 10'-2"-Broad, 4.33/20yd shuttle & 19-reps at the combine on 3/15/13 per: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/py ... artspot=10

Earl Thomas, for comparison: ran a 4.37/40, 2.47/20, and an exceptional 1.49/10-yd split, with a 32"-vert,
at the combine on 3/31/10. That combination of top end speed and quick burst is what makes ET special & very difficult to replace. IMO
:smilingalien:

Seahawkville

Reaction score
Belechick has only been successful because of one name. The Seahawks don't have that name so they do it their way.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
What would BB do? He would trade him. We will sign him to a 3 year extension and regret it mid season when he is injured.

A-Dog

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":25l2sdd9 said:
A-Dog":25l2sdd9 said:
MontanaHawk05":25l2sdd9 said:
The only reason I'd consider trading Earl is because we happen to have found a possibly Pro Bowl caliber replacement. If Steven Terrell were still warming the bench here, I wouldn't even think about it, and most likely, neither would Earl's most ardent haters.

Are you referring to McDougald? The guy who ran a 4.76 second 40-yard draft at the combine? No way he can play single high safety effectively.

I'm not opposed to trading earl but either the defense would need to change significantly or another safety would have to be signed.

To set the record straight.
Bradley McDougald ran a 4.51/40, 2.62/20, 1.63/10, 33"-vert, 10'-2"-Broad, 4.33/20yd shuttle & 19-reps at the combine on 3/15/13 per: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/py ... artspot=10

Earl Thomas, for comparison: ran a 4.37/40, 2.47/20, and an exceptional 1.49/10-yd split, with a 32"-vert,
at the combine on 3/31/10. That combination of top end speed and quick burst is what makes ET special & very difficult to replace. IMO
:smilingalien:

To set the record straight, he ran 4.74 at the combine per the OFFICIAL NFL site:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/bradley-mcdougald?id=2539243

It looks like the numbers you have are from his pro day - looks like he improved his times significantly. There's the question of whether it was hand-timed at the Pro day, what the surface was, etc. At any rate his combine time was very slow.

Regardless, he certainly does not have the range that Earl does.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2aztzsut said:
WmHBonney":2aztzsut said:
What would Belichick do?

His replacement isn't coming in the 2018 draft. That I can tell you.

adeltaY

Reaction score
How is Cover 3 not a single high safety? Earl's role is to be an eraser in our system, it's hard to judge by production because his value is about the plays he takes away.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-r ... arl-thomas

Football Outsiders":3e8rt6jx said:
Most of the work Thomas does goes unseen because he lines up off the screen on regular broadcasts. When he executes his job as designed, the ball is unlikely to be thrown in his direction. Therefore, unlike a pass rusher or literally any offensive skill position player, Thomas' best plays don't become highlights. His best plays prevent the offense from getting their own highlights.

The article explains Thomas' value in our system and why he's arguably the best in the game at his position. I don't think you can judge what he does fully by interceptions, PBUs, and tackles. Shoot, one of the relatively few times he was in cover 2 this year, he pick sixed Watson. Different system.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3gbbx61s said:
NFSeahawks628":3gbbx61s said:
WmHBonney":3gbbx61s said:
What would Belichick do?

His replacement isn't coming in the 2018 draft. That I can tell you.
Does this statement come from the belief that you can predict the future? Or, the equally misguided belief that stating an opinion as fact in some way lends strength or credibility to the opinion?
I could respect, and perhaps even agree with, the above post if it were stated as an opinion with at least an attempt to support the opinion with some evidence, but, in my opinion, emphatically stating opinion as fact does nothing more than undermine all credibility of the post and poster.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SlaterNFL/status/957328315345403907[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I can understand looking at his playing future, but taking care of his family, come on, he has made more money then most the guys in the country ever will already, his family and himself are taken care of if he has not squandered it all on bad choices. That's a empty argument to me.

The Cowboy statement still rings true, he is a fan, his father instilled the Cowboys in him etc, he may not end up there however, be careful what you wish for Earl, a trade may not be where you want to go if you play hard ball to much and use the media to promote your agenda.

You notice he never said anything about wanting to finish his career in Seattle in that piece.

Jville

Reaction score
I don't know how Earl could be more clear about where he would rather be. He has all off season to repeat himself over and over again.

A-Dog

Reaction score
adeltaY":fmjceefy said:
How is Cover 3 not a single high safety? Earl's role is to be an eraser in our system, it's hard to judge by production because his value is about the plays he takes away.

Football Outsiders":fmjceefy said:
Most of the work Thomas does goes unseen because he lines up off the screen on regular broadcasts. When he executes his job as designed, the ball is unlikely to be thrown in his direction. Therefore, unlike a pass rusher or literally any offensive skill position player, Thomas' best plays don't become highlights. His best plays prevent the offense from getting their own highlights.

The article explains Thomas' value in our system and why he's arguably the best in the game at his position. I don't think you can judge what he does fully by interceptions, PBUs, and tackles. Shoot, one of the relatively few times he was in cover 2 this year, he pick sixed Watson. Different system.

Great article. Anyone who thinks Earl can be adequately replaced by a guy like McDougald should read it. Hell, anyone who has an opinion on Earl one way or another should read it.

Pete Carroll anchors his coverages off of Thomas the way an NBA team would off of a shot-blocking 7-foot center. Thomas is not only expected to dominate in his assignments, he is expected to dominate while executing the toughest assignments on the field. With Sherman shutting down the receiver to one side and Thomas covering more ground than anyone else on the field, the assignments for every other player on the defense become easier. The field is tightened and defenders can afford to be more aggressive because they know Thomas will clean up for them if they are beaten. "That's a big emphasis. That's what we ask him to take care of – seams and posts," assistant coach Rocky Seto told Kapadia about the importance of Thomas' range. "And any underneath routes or runs that get out, to make those tackles. He's a critical player to eliminating explosive plays. If a slant route or a little dive play gets out, he has to get the guy down."

chris98251

Reaction score
Jamar Summers, Fastest time 4.34 40, plays CB but seems to be more a FS and has played it, has some raw instincts and skills as a late rounder would bring him in to play center field and get a NFL body, may not be a contributor as a start but Special teams looks like a good replacement for Lane to start and could be our next center fielder if he can get a bit of coaching.

Aw Mang

Reaction score
Nobody here wants Earl gone. No safety available out there can replace what Earl is doing for the Seahawks. The question is that if Earl is asking too high of a price and we can’t give it to him one reason or another, then maybe it’s time to trade him for a high draft pick or two if somebody want him. Keeping him but not signing him and let him walk in free agency without getting anything in return would not be a very good biz deciding, would it?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
A-Dog":2pqvg21c said:
adeltaY":2pqvg21c said:

Football Outsiders":2pqvg21c said:

Great article. Anyone who thinks Earl can be adequately replaced by a guy like McDougald should read it. Hell, anyone who has an opinion on Earl one way or another should read it.

Pete Carroll anchors his coverages off of Thomas the way an NBA team would off of a shot-blocking 7-foot center. Thomas is not only expected to dominate in his assignments, he is expected to dominate while executing the toughest assignments on the field. With Sherman shutting down the receiver to one side and Thomas covering more ground than anyone else on the field, the assignments for every other player on the defense become easier. The field is tightened and defenders can afford to be more aggressive because they know Thomas will clean up for them if they are beaten. "That's a big emphasis. That's what we ask him to take care of – seams and posts," assistant coach Rocky Seto told Kapadia about the importance of Thomas' range. "And any underneath routes or runs that get out, to make those tackles. He's a critical player to eliminating explosive plays. If a slant route or a little dive play gets out, he has to get the guy down."

This might be some sort of revelation for some, but this is very standard stuff here.

There's nothing special that the Seahawks do with coverages 1 through 3. I remember this board trying to "decipher" this "new" Seahawks defense once upon a time and it was hilarious. These coverages are as old as Pete.

The lone really "new" thing we use is the bear front from time to time. It's not new because Buddy Ryan started doing it in the 80s aka Da Bears, but that front doesn't really have any bearing on coverages.

I'm sorry, but this stuff is like someone learning math or some school subject. These are well established standards with a little bit of history.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
That "bear front" is a 46, btw. Don't know who started calling it the bear front, but that's not really what it is.

A-Dog

Reaction score
vin.couve12":9gj3ul9k said:
I'm sorry, but this stuff is like a kid learning math or some school subject. These are well established standards.

You seem to have completely missed the point.

The point is that Earl is key to the entire defense and will be extremely difficult to replace without wholesale changes to how the defense is run.

This is in direct contrast to your claim that the defense "does not hinge on the FS position"

Your post seems to want to distract from that point and your condescension is not appreciated.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1lf15n54 said:
A-Dog":1lf15n54 said:
adeltaY":1lf15n54 said:

Football Outsiders":1lf15n54 said:

This might be some sort of revelation for some, but this is very standard stuff here.

There's nothing special that the Seahawks do with coverages 1 through 3. I remember this board trying to "decipher" this "new" Seahawks defense once upon a time and it was hilarious. These coverages are as old as Pete.

The lone really "new" thing we use is tje bear front from time to time. It's not new because Buddy Ryan started doing it in tje 80s aka Da Bears, but that front doesn't really have any bearing on coverages.

I'm sorry, but this stuff is like a kid learning math or some school subject. These are well established standards.
Although the Seahawk coverages are standard or "nothing special", that does not invalidate the point the previous two posters were making. Earl's speed and recognition allows the Seahawks defense to maximize effectiveness within those coverage schemes.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
vin.couve12":x906ku82 said:
That "bear front" is a 46, btw. Don't know who started calling it the bear front, but that's not really what it is.
I think this statement is a little misleading. Although the bear front was referred to as 46, it was not due to the personal (i.e. 4 linemen and 6 linebackers), it was due to the jersey number of one player (I can't remember who it was). The original "bear front" was basically a 4-3 with 2 of the linebackers up on the line of scrimmage, creating a 6 man line, and a safety in the box. Formation wise, it was a 6-2 with 4-3 personnel.
The Seahawks bear front was/is much different. The Seahawks, under Pete, run it with Pete's patented 3-4/4-3 hybrid personnel and the result was 3-4/4-3 personnel in a 5-3 or 5-2 front. They bumped the strong-side end (Red Bryant) inside and brought the SAM up to the line to create a 5 man front, rather than the traditional 6 man front of the original bear front. Therefore, calling the Seahawks bear front a 46 is not technically accurate, in my opinion.

Latest posts