"Holdout" news of Earl Thomas

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much everybody has spotted the hidden meaning in Earl's words.

If you really want to try to convince me that Bill Belichick succeeds by having good defenses every year, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. He's got an ace special teams, a 4th-quarter offense designed to take advantage of 4th-quarter prevent defenses, and a QB who's willing to be boring in order to execute. That's how he wins.

Ironically, if any team had anything close to what Belichick has, I'd say it's Seattle and Russell Wilson. Nobody comes alive like Wilson in the 4th quarter, and a big part of it is those prevent defenses.

But Wilson isn't Brady.

The only reason I'd consider trading Earl is because we happen to have found a possibly Pro Bowl caliber replacement. If Steven Terrell were still warming the bench here, I wouldn't even think about it, and most likely, neither would Earl's most ardent haters.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Personally I feel that he will be traded at some point during the offseason. I don't think it will be to Dallas either. Could see Atlanta and Jacksonville showing a lot of interest though.

Earl Thomas is the only major trade chip this team has right now (Wilson and Wagner would be too, but neither guy is getting moved) and I think they realize this. Not to mention, Earl strikes me as a guy that will not be a happy player if the rest of the LOB is gone.

adeltaY

Reaction score
vin.couve12":8jsa8umx said:
Giants or Browns are probably taking Barkley in thr first two picks, but I'm sure we can get some really valuable assets for him. I still go back to us going from 17ppg to 16ppg with McDougald at FS this year. McDougald is a better FS than SS and even with drafting the two rooks last year we'll need more depth.

Two game sample size. You really seem to have it in for Earl.

Last year, when Earl was lost for the season, our total defensive DVOA dropped from 3rd to 17th and our pass defense DVOA ranked fifth in the 11 weeks when we had him and 26th from then on. Not to mention getting killed through the air in the playoff game at Atlanta. He missed five games that year. Still a small sample size, but not as limited as a sample of playing decimated Redskins and Cardinals teams.

A-Dog

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":s046lhle said:
The only reason I'd consider trading Earl is because we happen to have found a possibly Pro Bowl caliber replacement. If Steven Terrell were still warming the bench here, I wouldn't even think about it, and most likely, neither would Earl's most ardent haters.

Are you referring to McDougald? The guy who ran a 4.76 second 40-yard draft at the combine? No way he can play single high safety effectively.

I'm not opposed to trading earl but either the defense would need to change significantly or another safety would have to be signed.

A-Dog

Reaction score
As far as the Cowboys as a potential trade partner:

Zach Martin, like Earl, is in the last year of his deal. The Cowboys have already given huge money to Smith and Frederick, and they have to figure out how to sign DeMarcus Lawrence. Of course there is the Kris Richard connection, as well as Earl's "come get me" comment.

Wouldn't mind seeing an Earl for Martin deal (maybe bostered with draft picks)

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Trade him for draftpicks and draft Minkah Fitzpatrick, he is an Earl replacement. He and Mcdougald would be Excellent.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3nqrkg3x said:
B* B* B*

Guy wants out and just using the pretense of holding out to veil his true intentions.. we've already seen what he wants.

That's ridiculous. That's like me saying I would like a new car, but then I tell my wife I'm fine with the one I have, if we were just to wash it and give it a tune up.

If he wants a new team I'm pretty sure the way not to get it by trying to play Jedi mind tricks on Pete and John.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
A-Dog":1ratzf60 said:
MontanaHawk05":1ratzf60 said:

Are you referring to McDougald? The guy who ran a 4.76 second 40-yard draft at the combine? No way he can play single high safety effectively.

I'm not opposed to trading earl but either the defense would need to change significantly or another safety would have to be signed.

Dude did you even watch this season?

original poster

Reaction score
A-Dog":nlzmsvb0 said:
MontanaHawk05":nlzmsvb0 said:

McDouglad replaced Earl at FS this season during his missed games.

I didn't even notice Earl was missing.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":151uwosd said:
Sports Hernia":151uwosd said:
Bobblehead":151uwosd said:
B* B* B*

Guy wants out and just using the pretense of holding out to veil his true intentions.. we've already seen what he wants.
If he wanted out he wouldn’t be open to an extension.

Do you know what he wants?
I doubt he will burn his options, but saying he's open to an extension and wanting to finish out his career heret does make it sound good.

It's odd that, in your initial post you would say "Guy wants out" and in your reply to SH you said "Do you know what he wants?" Do you know what he wants? :roll:

Exittium

Reaction score
Me personally, give Earl a nice long 7yr extension like KJ said in an interview back in December when all the confusion and fuss happened when earl went to the cowboys locker room.

I personally have no issue with earl. I also dont have any issue with him wanting an extension. The kids a baller, and shows his heart on the field. He's given a lot to this team, and we have a few good ET Goal line karate chops to go with it all. If he truly wants to end his career in Seattle (which i doubt, because of KJ even mentioning in the same interview thats where he wants to end his career) than great if he's being genuine about that.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Let's trade him if we can. He has good value and he's already the highest paid safety in the league if I'm not mistaken and is asking for more. Someone out there will pay it and I hope it's not us. We have too many other needs.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Omahawk":1h87irqk said:
Let's trade him if we can. He has good value and he's already the highest paid safety in the league if I'm not mistaken and is asking for more. Someone out there will pay it and I hope it's not us. We have too many other needs.

He's definitely not the highest paid safety anymore. Eric Berry is scheduled to make $8.9 (and he has 4 years after 2018 where they are all even higher). Jimmy Ward, who is in the last year of his deal is making $8.526 million. Earl is making $8.5 million.

A-Dog

Reaction score
original poster":1zdzoidf said:

You mean like that catastrophe of a game against Washington where they drove 70 yards for a touchdown in 30 seconds to beat Seattle? You don't think Earl might have helped in that game?

When vital players go out the defensive schemes and responsibilities change in order to not expose the replacements. I'm pretty sure Richard's game plans with Earl in the lineup are a lot different than when he's not.

A-Dog

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2y3x6ng5 said:
A-Dog":2y3x6ng5 said:
MontanaHawk05":2y3x6ng5 said:

Dude did you even watch this season?
I did.

Did you?

original poster

Reaction score
A-Dog":2crmytoj said:
original poster":2crmytoj said:

You mean like that catastrophe of a game against Washington where they drove 70 yards for a touchdown in 30 seconds to beat Seattle? You don't think Earl might have helped in that game?

When vital players go out the defensive schemes and responsibilities change in order to not expose the replacements. I'm pretty sure Richard's game plans with Earl in the lineup are a lot different than when he's not.

Invalid point. Many, many teams have done exactly the same thing with Earl on the field.

And of course defensive schemes change to suit the personnel. There was no amount of scheming to cover how bad Steven Terrell was last year was there?

McDouglad is well above serviceable at FS.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Invalid point?

Why would Richard leave his rookie in 1:1 coverage during a critical drive? Why not give him help over the top?

Maybe Richard was keeping in mind that the fact his backup FS is pedestrian and likely wouldn't have made it out to the boundary to break up that play even if he was kept back to help the rookie. Maybe if his all-pro safety with elite range was in the game Richard would have been able to call a more appropriate defense.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Let earl go before giving him a big contract. His best days are behind him.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Again, McDougald played two games against subpar competition at FS. I think he played well at SS consistently though.

Latest posts