Hawks Scheduled to Host Evan Mathis this Week

Cyrus12

Reaction score
MVP53":3knc6igc said:
I'm no cap guy, so maybe I'm reading overthecap.com wrong. But, what we're looking for is guys who have a relatively high cap hit for their production, with relatively low dead money, right?

Just looking I see...

Jermaine Kearse: $2.365M cap vs $0 dead
Mike Morgan: $1M cap vs $150K dead
Christine Michael: $920K cap vs $417 dead
Greg Scruggs: $785K cap vs $100K dead
Anthony McCoy: $745K cap vs $75K dead

None of them are huge cap hits, but they're all pretty much fringe guys to even make the roster, aren't they? Maybe save for Kearse.

Again, I apologize if I'm totally misreading, or completely off my rocker. Analyzing the cap really isn't my thing.
trading or releasing kearse seems to be the best option here...wilson will be on ir by week 2 if this is the o line for the start of the season

ihawk

Reaction score
feels like you just need a 1-2 year rental on Mathis to help the younger guys develop. maybe jared allen part II, or maybe he learned something by watching allen choose the wrong team. if you can get him for 2yr, 8mil and first year is almost all signing bonus, then prorating that will keep cap hit in 2015 around 2mil, right? 1-year extension with Mebane with similar structure could probably drum up that 2mil. I don't really like kicking the can down the road like that, but this year feels precious.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well, Rapaport's tweet is up at NFL.com and the article there is stating a few things that sound positive.

Here are a few facts:

Although there's always a team that is "showing interest" according to Mathis' camp, no one is paying him 5.5 million this year. It's not going to happen now if it already hasn't happened and all the teams involved out there know it.

Mathis actually hasn't visited any other teams, this has all been negotiated over the phone. <assumption> If a team was pretty serious about acquiring a player, they would bring him in. Plus Mathis was injured last year, so anyone with a serious contract offer would want to bring him in for a physical at least. So we can stop with the 5 mil/year supposition; we're not paying that because no one else is either.

We have a need and he wants to go to a contender. The fit is there, both personnel and schematically. It's also a known fact around the league that we don't over pay veterans to come here. There's a lot of other teams out there that pay more to get guys, since PS and JS have been here, you're not shaking the money tree and getting a lot to fall out. If Mathis is actually coming here, he has to know he's not getting his 5 million. That and well, we don't have a lot of cap space. That's a known fact going in.

The situation actually has me cautiously optimistic. If a FA is visiting us, his agent knows the cap situation, and our history of paying guys value contracts to help them get rings. We have a need, and he doesn't have a team. No one has offered him anything that he's accepted, meaning that if we "lowball" him or offer a value contract, it's something that likely has been offered before by other teams that are lessor contenders. It's also a fact that Carroll is one of the most desired coaches to play for in the league and the atmosphere around this team is one of the best in the league.

ringless

Reaction score
I have seen the Kam gets traded comment here and on NFL.com

He will not be traded, Seattle would incur a large cap hit. Not going to happen. 7.5 million to be exact. Kam and Mathis are two separate things. Kam will be playing this season, most likely as his contract stands.

kearly

Reaction score
Good post Hawks46.

Mathis turns 34 this year at a position that very rarely plays much older than that. Walter Jones played his final NFL game at age 34. Hutch had just turned 35 when he played his last game. Mathis is probably looking at 1 year deals for the rest of his NFL career. And those 1 year deals are probably going to look like the ones given to Antoine Winfield and Kevin Williams.

I think Seattle has a chance to sign Mathis but it's a concern for me that if they did get him, he'd be coming in so late while being out of the game for a while. Still a move worth making. Seattle has too much inexperience on the line right now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think regardless if it's Mathis or Britt/Bailey at LG, it's probably going to look pretty bad early on. Mathis wouldn't be a magic bullet, but I think the big question is which option gives you the chance to be better by somewhere in Games 4-8. If we assume that Britt/Bailey have a fairly low talent ceiling, then the answer has to be Mathis. So, the other question is if being better by mid-season is worth the cost of acquisition. That's a tough question. But I'm not sure PC/JS will have a choice if o-line continues to be a season-threatening problem.

Fade

Reaction score
Just to reiterate.
Fade":18nphe53 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":18nphe53 said:
Lets say 5.5m number is the starting point for Mathis's side. Buts he's already missed half of training camp, is 34 years old, and is likely going to take half the season getting in Sync with everyone from the O-line to the Skill players to the offensive system. Lets assume the Seahawks can talk that price down to 4.5m all guaranteed.

Lets say they offer him a 1.5m guaranteed base + a 3m signing bonus protrated over 3 years, 2015 + 2 faux years.

He essentially costs only $2.5 against the cap but makes $4.5m altogether. Seahawks have to eat $2m over 2016 and 2017 but if they think Mathis will be worth the upgrade and a better fit to protect thier franchise QB then it would be worth it.

This can be done without cutting anyone, money would be tight, and if needed later, theyd probably could ask one of the long-term players to move some base salary into a signing bonus type move to free up cap.

I agree with you entirely, but the Hawks have been extremely conservative when it comes to converting base salaries to signing bonuses. The Seahawks have been the anti Dallas / New Orleans of the world when it comes to kicking the can down the road. There is a middle ground obviously, but it seems Seattle doesn't even want to go there.

Fade":18nphe53 said:
Here is a better one. Extend Brandon Mebane 4 years. giving him a $5 million signing bonus with a $1 million base. Saving roughly $3 million against the cap this year. Turn around and sign Evan Mathis to a 1 year deal for $4 million (selling to him he can chase a ring and hit Free Agency the next offseason.)

These are a couple of examples by Pandion Haliaetus & myself earlier in the thread. The Seahawks don't have to cut any core players to fit Evan Mathis under the cap.

jkitsune

Reaction score
hawknation2015":26v1x7jv said:
jkitsune":26v1x7jv said:
hawknation2015":26v1x7jv said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/634511023270178816[/tweet]

Interesting . . . we don't have anything close to the kind of cap space he is likely looking for. But maybe a one-year "prove it" deal for close to the veteran minimum to win a Super Bowl and stick it to Chip Kelly, parlaying it into a long-term deal somewhere else? Seems unlikely he would turn down more money elsewhere at his age and recent injury history.

Prove what? Evan Mathis is an excellent player, and although the Hawks are a great team, players aren't in the habit of taking far below market value (let alone minimum wage) just to have a one-year chance to win a Super Bowl.

Yup. It doesn't make a lick of sense. But I was enjoying the rumor for a moment.

No one's allowed to have fun on my watch!

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
So, he will follow through his scheduled meeting with the Seahawks, is unlikely to sign a deal with another team before then, and now he'll be playing not for the Seahawks, but for the Chiefs?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2oa6aop2 said:
So, he will follow through his scheduled meeting with the Seahawks, is unlikely to sign a deal with another team before then, and now he'll be playing not for the Seahawks, but for the Chiefs?

Sounds accurate.

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/634931425947418625[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/634931221601062912[/tweet]

BigMeach

Reaction score
Pete Carroll just said in presser that Evan Mathis is coming in for a physical.

Edit- Jinx Jake.

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Rand_Getling/status/634928754943492096[/tweet]

Welp that ship sailed ...fast :177692:

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
jake206":vmhwrs38 said:

Fake account apparently

jake206

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2hhmvflu said:
jake206":2hhmvflu said:

Fake account apparently

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/634937450427641856[/tweet]

Its confirmed as a fake. Not that I'm holding my breath with our current salary cap situation w/ Kam.

IrishNW

Reaction score
jake206":1351gvll said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1351gvll said:
jake206":1351gvll said:

Fake account apparently

Haven't seen it verified anywhere else so it may indeed be a fake.

Look at his other tweets... its fake

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/634943393370537984[/tweet]

Latest posts