Hawks Scheduled to Host Evan Mathis this Week

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
1. Imo, Seahawks are more likely to extend Mebane than cut him. Losing McDaniel and Williams was workable , losing Mebane would hurt without the quality depth to back a move like that. 'Bane knows he has that leverage which is why he didnt take a pay cut. However, if the Seahawks offered Mebane job security through at least next to allowt hem to convert some of his base salary into signing bonus, guaranteed money. It might work.

Taking 4 mil of Mebane base sal and converting into signing bonuses across 2 years. Would open up $2 mil of cap space. The more years you give Mebane the more cap you save. Lets say they extend that 4 mil across 4 years. Seahawks open up 3m cap space in 2015. Seahawks could play Mebane at a base salary of 3m next year and count 4m against the cap.

And the best part they dont even have to do this to even clear the cap to sign Mathis. They can evaluate Mebane until they absolutely need the space to make a move.

2. Because the Seahawks can fit Mathis under the cap. Again 5.5m is the number I think Mathis will start at, is reason to assume the Seahawks could talk him down to $4.5m. Give him a vet min of $970,000 plus 3.53 signing bonus across 3 years and he only costs less than 2.18m against the cap.

Seahawks also have leverage to restructure Kearse 2.4m (rounding up). For instance, lets say they really love Kevin Smith or Kasen Williams both cost $410,000. That would be a savings of 1.9m.

Kearse isnt going to get 2.4m on the market and he might not make more than $1m. His best chance for a future payout is staying with Wilson. If the Seahawks could get him to drop his salary to $1.25 to justify keeping him (bluff), they would be able to save 1.11m or so.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":aakqe6k8 said:
Shadowhawk":aakqe6k8 said:
I just hope our revamped O-Line does well enough tonight that signing Mathis isn't a necessity.

Isn't the fact that Mathis is visiting tell us that's not happening right now?

IMO this is the kind of patchwork line that probably will eventually gel, but it might take 6-8 games.

Honestly, I think the Mathis visit is a contingency plan rather than an indictment of the current O-Line configuration. All of the reports out of practice this week from both team and independent sources said that Gilliam and Britt both looked good in their new positions, but there is just no way to get an accurate read on the situation without seeing them in an actual game (even if it is only preseason) and tonight's game is going to be a good simulation for the kind of talented front seven they will be facing in St. Louis next month. If they come out tonight and screw the pooch again, then I think they will take a more serious run at Mathis. If they come out and look better than they did last week, signing Mathis isn't as much of a necessity.

I also believe that this line will take some time to gel, but the fact of the matter is that it will take a while to gel even if we do sign Mathis since he will be coming in to a new situation with new teammates that he will have to get used to working with. I am not expecting or even hoping for miracles tonight, just improvement. And if we see improvement I would rather roll with the guys we have than spend more money, strain our cap space even further and probably force a roster cut or two in order to sign Mathis. But if the line looks no better than last week, we might not have a choice.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":13bqnte4 said:
MysterMatt":13bqnte4 said:
I think John should extend Mebane AND Kam (they get more up-front money and we save cap), under the guise of making room to get Mathis. It's a win for everybody.

Didn't Mebane say something recently like they asked him to take a pay cut? Not sure if they'd be able to go back to him with an extension at this point, but maybe. Still, this doesn't seem like something they'd do. :229031_shrug:
I hear you, but there are "pay cuts" and then there are "cleverly-structured deals that give more up-front money in return for cap savings". It's just a thought, mind you, but it would be good if we could alleviate most of our biggest concerns with a single shot. Most importantly, we'd get lots of media attention.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":230fhlko said:
Sgt. Largent":230fhlko said:
Shadowhawk":230fhlko said:
I just hope our revamped O-Line does well enough tonight that signing Mathis isn't a necessity.

IMO this is the kind of patchwork line that probably will eventually gel, but it might take 6-8 games.

Honestly, I think the Mathis visit is a contingency plan rather than an indictment of the current O-Line configuration. All of the reports out of practice this week from both team and independent sources said that Gilliam and Britt both looked good in their new positions, but there is just no way to get an accurate read on the situation without seeing them in an actual game (even if it is only preseason) and tonight's game is going to be a good simulation for the kind of talented front seven they will be facing in St. Louis next month. If they come out tonight and screw the pooch again, then I think they will take a more serious run at Mathis. If they come out and look better than they did last week, signing Mathis isn't as much of a necessity.

I also believe that this line will take some time to gel, but the fact of the matter is that it will take a while to gel even if we do sign Mathis since he will be coming in to a new situation with new teammates that he will have to get used to working with. I am not expecting or even hoping for miracles tonight, just improvement. And if we see improvement I would rather roll with the guys we have than spend more money, strain our cap space even further and probably force a roster cut or two in order to sign Mathis. But if the line looks no better than last week, we might not have a choice.

You don't acquire a guy like Mathis that's been an All Pro and to two Pro Bowls, and pay him 3-5M a year for a contingency plan.

You acquire him because you're having serious O-line issues and desperately need to fix the problem, and fix it now.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":39m9bhrl said:
MysterMatt":39m9bhrl said:
peachesenregalia":39m9bhrl said:
MysterMatt":39m9bhrl said:
I think John should extend Mebane AND Kam (they get more up-front money and we save cap), under the guise of making room to get Mathis. It's a win for everybody.

Didn't Mebane say something recently like they asked him to take a pay cut? Not sure if they'd be able to go back to him with an extension at this point, but maybe. Still, this doesn't seem like something they'd do. :229031_shrug:
I hear you, but there are "pay cuts" and then there are "cleverly-structured deals that give more up-front money in return for cap savings". It's just a thought, mind you, but it would be good if we could alleviate most of our biggest concerns with a single shot. Most importantly, we'd get lots of media attention.

I hear you. Get two birds stoned at once.
Exactly!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":30a0x1p8 said:
Seafan":30a0x1p8 said:
Jared Allen part 2.
That's the first thing that came to my mind also. I'll just take a "I'll believe it when I see it" stance this time if nobody minds.
^ Yep.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2z4u6vb8 said:
Shadowhawk":2z4u6vb8 said:
Sgt. Largent":2z4u6vb8 said:
Shadowhawk":2z4u6vb8 said:

You don't acquire a guy like Mathis that's been an All Pro and to two Pro Bowls, and pay him 3-5M a year for a contingency plan.

You acquire him because you're having serious O-line issues and desperately need to fix the problem, and fix it now.

Weird that they havent signed Mathis yet... Its been 7 days since that last game. Also, weird that would scheduled his visit after Friday's game. Seems like they are going to evaluate what they have in Britt at LG and Gilliam at RT before they want to make a decision on Mathis.

Sounds pretty close to what would be a contingency plan if you asked me.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
massari":2l7n9t2h said:
hawknation2015":2l7n9t2h said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/634511023270178816[/tweet]

Interesting . . . we don't have anything close to the kind of cap space he is likely looking for.

Even if they release Kearse? That would give them about 7 mill in cap space. Say they give Mathis 5 mill, would 2 mill in cap space be alright?

Not nearly enough. The hawks are going to be spending a good chunk on the injured reserve cap.
If you want to afford Mathis you have to be thinking about cutting Mebane.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1349d0sn said:

Except they have not acquired Mathis, they haven't paid him 3-5M a year and there is no proof that they are even planning to offer him that much at this point. And to echo the previous poster, the fact that the meeting was scheduled after tonight's game is a pretty good indicator that they want to see what they have now before deciding whether they need to acquire Mathis. So, yes, contingency plan.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3ltevwat said:
Weird that they havent signed Mathis yet... Its been 7 days since that last game. Also, weird that would scheduled his visit after Friday's game. Seems like they are going to evaluate what they have in Britt at LG and Gilliam at RT before they want to make a decision on Mathis.

Mathis is talking to many teams, he still might not even come if someone gives him what he wants before tomorrow.

So him not being here now before tonight's game has nothing to do with some sort of wait and see approach crossing our fingers praying that the line plays well tonight contingency plan.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ywzg0wk8 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":ywzg0wk8 said:

Mathis is talking to many teams, he still might not even come if someone gives him what he wants before tomorrow.

So him not being here now before tonight's game has nothing to do with some sort of wait and see approach crossing our fingers praying that the line plays well tonight contingency plan.

The problem with that argument is that the left guard position has been a revolving door all camp long. Tom Cable was complaining about it to John Clayton a week before the first preseason game. That game was a week ago. They could have called Mathis' agent that night to schedule a meeting. Yet their first instinct after that game was not to throw $3-5 million at Mathis but to restructure the line based on their current personnel. It seems clear that they don't want to sign Mathis or another free agent unless they absolutely have to, and they are going to give the current group a chance to see if they can carry the load first. Mathis has not been meeting with teams 24/7 since last Friday's game. If Pete and John had decided they HAD to have him, he would have at least visited by now if not signed.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":397ncr0s said:
Sgt. Largent":397ncr0s said:
Pandion Haliaetus":397ncr0s said:

The problem with that argument is that the left guard position has been a revolving door all camp long. Tom Cable was complaining about it to John Clayton a week before the first preseason game. That game was a week ago. They could have called Mathis' agent that night to schedule a meeting. Yet their first instinct after that game was not to throw $3-5 million at Mathis but to restructure the line based on their current personnel. It seems clear that they don't want to sign Mathis or another free agent unless they absolutely have to, and they are going to give the current group a chance to see if they can carry the load first. Mathis has not been meeting with teams 24/7 since last Friday's game. If Pete and John had decided they HAD to have him, he would have at least visited by now if not signed.

I agree with this. This new line has a tryout tonight and depending on how they do will decide if Mathis is needed. He would have to start so it looks like Britt and Gilliam will be watched closely; both have to be successful.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vv3dol0 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3vv3dol0 said:

Its odd that his visit to the Seahawks are open book but its been a complete mystery as to whom those other teams are. Saturday is the day after today, Mathis and his group is going to be pretty
busy today if they have multiple teams fighting for his services... Yet not one person knows whare hose teams are exactly which means the Seahawks could realistically be the only team, right now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":3a05h08i said:
Sgt. Largent":3a05h08i said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3a05h08i said:

Pete and John are on top of every free agent if it's a need, so my guess is Mathis HAS been on our radar for the entire camp, it's now that he might be loosening up his demands to where we can fit him under our cap.............thus the visit.

I just don't believe we're waiting to see how the line does tonight to see if Mathis is needed. That's not how Pete, John and Cable operate. That's too knee jerk for these guys, they're long term planners.............not OMG NOW WE NEED HIM type of roster planners.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2l040k3n said:
Its odd that his visit to the Seahawks are open book but its been a complete mystery as to whom those other teams are. Saturday is the day after today, Mathis and his group is going to be pretty busy today if they have multiple teams fighting for his services... Yet not one person knows who those teams are exactly which means the Seahawks could realistically be the only team, right now.

Or the only team being used as leverage, publicly.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":f1fwxdey said:
MysterMatt":f1fwxdey said:
peachesenregalia":f1fwxdey said:
MysterMatt":f1fwxdey said:

I hear you. Get two birds stoned at once.
Leave no Tern unstoned ...

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2rynkll5 said:
Sgt. Largent":2rynkll5 said:

Except they have not acquired Mathis, they haven't paid him 3-5M a year and there is no proof that they are even planning to offer him that much at this point. And to echo the previous poster, the fact that the meeting was scheduled after tonight's game is a pretty good indicator that they want to see what they have now before deciding whether they need to acquire Mathis. So, yes, contingency plan.

It's called...."Getting the cart before the horse"! .....a common occurrence on this site. :roll:

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2uenmpaa said:
dontbelikethat":2uenmpaa said:
Our Man in Chicago":2uenmpaa said:
Or the only team being used as leverage, publicly.

There's already been a few other publicly rumored teams, specifically the Dolphins, Jets & Titans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... omes-down/

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/p ... van-mathis

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PaulKuharskyNFL/status/634765426237546496[/tweet]

None of those teams is a competitor. Mathis probably wants to get paid, but grabbing a ring with the 'Hawks as a one-year stop-gap with the high potential of getting a fat contract from a bottom-dweller the following year might entice him, especially at his age.

True...but then there are some players who do not want to work as hard as is necessary to be a Champion.

Latest posts