Hawks release C, promote WR from PS to 53

McGruff

Reaction score
chris98251":3su2pwdn said:
He has a history of injuries, also his body type lanky and thin and so tall plays against him, he is not very broad in the shoulders so tackleing would be harder, as a gunner he needs to be able to fight through blocks and his lankiness and height would make it easy for someone to take him out. He never looked very physical even going for the ball more then being able to out reach them.

I liked when we threw deep to him, but as teams know his game and thats all he does it's so easy to defend.

While generally true I can't help but point out that Alex Bannister Made the pro owl as a gunner and he makes Williams look like the hulk

C-Dub

Reaction score
McGruff":1s04abx7 said:
Williams didn't want to play ST's . . . Walters did.

I suspect that this is as much about getting Kearse on the field as it is about Walters and Williams.
That's my thinking.

WR5 needs to play ST. That's why Obo lasted so long with PC/JS.

chris98251

Reaction score
McGruff":16fi8z35 said:
chris98251":16fi8z35 said:
He has a history of injuries, also his body type lanky and thin and so tall plays against him, he is not very broad in the shoulders so tackleing would be harder, as a gunner he needs to be able to fight through blocks and his lankiness and height would make it easy for someone to take him out. He never looked very physical even going for the ball more then being able to out reach them.

I liked when we threw deep to him, but as teams know his game and thats all he does it's so easy to defend.

While generally true I can't help but point out that Alex Bannister Made the pro owl as a gunner and he makes Williams look like the hulk

Attitude and toughness are not a measurable, I think Alex had those where I never saw aggressive tendencies in Williams really, could be wrong since it was such a small sample.

seahawks08

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":8gazhijq said:
DavidSeven":8gazhijq said:
Definitely felt better about having Williams as our depth receiver. Walters fits the mold of that milquetoast WR we always seem to slot at #5. It was nice to have a big play guy in the wings for a change with Williams. Sigh. What can you do? Hope Walters gets some opps and makes a name.

Williams = big play guy... But in the pre-season.

That's always been the book on him. He had his chance vs Carolina and dropped it.

He is also a one trick pony (9 route).

Stephen Williams is better suited for T Jack type of quarterback who throws the deep ball more with an elevation than RW. RW is more flatter and has a zip which is harder to adjust too for a Stephen Williams type of receiver in my opinion. He definitely is fast, but he seems to track the ball better when it is over an elevation coming down to him rather than what RW throws. So when they needed a roster spot, they kept the receivers who better suits RW style in my opinion.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Not sure why everyone thinks Walters will get dropped when Harvin gets back. Position for position swaps have not been the case the last couple of moves. And like someone else said previously, Walters had a pretty good rapport with Wilson during the preseason.

Paschtorian

Reaction score
All I wanna know is,.....

....can this guy catch the ball,............

.......no matter what!!!

In the FO (and the coaching staff) do we trust.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":25fjfzjq said:
scutterhawk":25fjfzjq said:
DavidSeven":25fjfzjq said:
Guys, Stephen Williams is a better wide receiver than Bryan Walters. Period. I think even John Schneider would agree. Why are you guys pushing so hard against this point? No one's talking about Kearse here. Williams vs. Walters only. Williams wins.
Apparently John Schneider didn't get your memo Dave, cuz he KEPT Walters and let Williams go.
Just maybe having the "Special Teams" gig on your side, ranks pretty high with PC & JS.
Only they can answer as to why they decide to keep players, that we fans would just as soon let walk.

Well, it didnt really work out like that. Walters was on the practice squad when the team had to cut Williams to keep an extra center. If Walters was on the active roster, he probably would've been the one who was cut.
Not likely, IF they would have preferred Williams (whom I thought was pretty damned good in pre-Season), they'd more than likely, have just reversed their positions, and cut whomever they thought, that might not have more value, and beings they knew that Walters was more multi-faceted, they decided that Williams was the more expendable.
I think that Schneider felt that they could possibly stash Williams on the PS, but the Jags were thin at WR, and took a flyer on the kid.
I really hope that everything works out for him down in Jacksonville, as I think that all he is lacking in time on the field.

themunn

Reaction score
scutterhawk":whmordht said:
I think that Schneider felt that they could possibly stash Williams on the PS, but the Jags were thin at WR, and took a flyer on the kid.

Williams lost his practice squad eligibility in his first season in the league at Arizona when he played in 11 games (players who have been on the active roster for 9+ games are ineligible)