Hawks meeting with Bennett agent in Indy

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I have faith that we'll resign Bennett.

We have the cap room, and he's motivated to stay here. That equals the likelihood that this gets done.

This isn't baseball, insane contracts like Revis happen maybe once every 5 or 10 years. Cap space is just to vital to a team's success, so I can't see another team overpaying Bennett just to get him. So his value should already be set leaguewide, now it's about years and how much of that's guaranteed............which shouldn't be a problem that'll prevent us from resigning Bennett.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
lukerguy":3vr49kqm said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3vr49kqm said:
If the Seahawks can sign Bennett to Marshawn Lynch money, 4 yrs/32 million that would be legitimate.

But you are looking at losing Red Bryant and making Bennett a full-time player.

If the Seahawks can nab him for Chris Clemons money that would be even sweeter 3 YRs/ 22 million ..

Either way Seahawks would still be able to retain one of McDaniel or McDonald, probably McDaniel.

But in order for this to work you are looking at Bennett having to play around 285, which is probably doable, adding 10 pounds, so he he can be a Bryant like force against the rush.

50 tackles, 10 TFL, 10 Sacks around 70% of the Defensive Snap would be worth the investment.

The only think I don't like about re-signing Bennett is:

1. How motivated is he by the money?
2. Losing out on what could be a 3rd round Comp.
3. I rather have quanity of multiple players than 1 quality player.

But getting Bennett anywhere under 8 per, would be a steal in my opinion.
You aren't going to get 3rd round comp for him because we will re-sign someone else in his place, if he doesn't sign. May get a 6th or 7th.

Okay... if I was a GM.

1. I look not only Dan Quinn, who is probably the best D-Linemen developer in the NFL, I look at the plethora of DL the Seahawks stock-piled this past year: Mayowa and Hill on the roster, Brooks, Smith, Cherrington on the PS, and Scruggs, Boatwright, and Williams.

Of those 8 players, 5 of them could be considered potential pass-rushers. Of those 5, 4 of them weigh between 275-305 pounds, with Boatwright adding weight this past off-season.

2. I look at the draft...

3. And if I have to look at free agency, I can look at the countless free agents who could be cut, that fit in our system, and would hypthetically cost less than a normal free agent because cut players are likely seeing a lump sum of gauranteed money. Young under-performing players took notice with not only Michael Bennett but with McDaniel and McDonald too that playing on a cheap 1 yr deal as its benefits. Older players might see this as a last chance attempt at a Championship ring to add to their legacy.

So, no I think the Seahawks are very much prepared at playing the market that benefits them for the future and will more or less be focused on their own free agents rather than other teams free agents.

Edit: I forgot that players cut from rosters that enter free agency DO NOT count against the compensation reward formula and process.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Bennett may be valuable but keep in mind that a large part of his success had to do with the players around him. Can Bennett get as much QB pressures if he doesn't have the best secondary in the NFL behind him blanketing WRs?

JS & PC know that to sustain success over the long term you can't overpay and they are the ones dictating the terms of this deal. Seattle is very much in the position of power in this arrangement. PC/JS will be offering him a deal that is probably less than what he could get elsewhere, and will not budge because they know that Seattle is an attractive place to play due to its success, its facilities, and culture.