Hawks meeting with Bennett agent in Indy

HawkWow

Reaction score
^ I admire your confidence. But it's a confidence built more on opinion than merit, IMO. I have a hard time saying "we will be fine without him" because we weren't fine without him before we got him.

:34 seconds. I'll say no more.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Clayton theorized that 6-7 million per year would get it done. This was after Bennett said he wanted 10 mil/year.

Clayton is usually pretty close on these things, but even at 8 mil, I can't see them not doing it at that price. You could cut Bryant and Clemons, and be able to afford Bennett and Tate and still have money left over.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Do we know for a fact that Bennett said he wanted 10 million a year, or is that just a rumor?

McGruff

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":383gqsfj said:
hawknation2014":383gqsfj said:
If Bennett wants more than $7-7.5 million per year, they could probably keep those other guys and find a cheaper alternative to Bennett in the draft or free agency.
Ummm, no. There may be 'cheaper' alternatives, as in less dollars. But none who have the inside/outside impact on the team that Bennett has.

Yeah, I think some are clueless as to how hard it is to find an inside outside pass rusher who can consistently pressure the QB (ie, not just sacks). Add in his disruption of running lanes and the fact that he is our best as diagnosing screens . . . cheaper alternatives are significantly worse.

Craig Terrill comes to mind.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawknation2014":anh42aw5 said:
Would they rather have Bryant, Clemons, and McDaniel OR Bennett?

Cutting Bryant and Clemons would cost $5.3 million in dead money. Re-signing McDaniel would cost around $1.5 million. If they lose all three, that sacrifices the depth that kept the defensive line fresh and guarded against injuries to any one player.

If Bennett wants more than $7-7.5 million per year, they could probably keep those other guys and find a cheaper alternative to Bennett in the draft or free agency.

Depth = Hill, Williams, Scruggs and Brooks plus draft picks and 3rd tier free agents.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
sc85sis":11p42mil said:
Do we know for a fact that Bennett said he wanted 10 million a year, or is that just a rumor?

Not even really a rumor. The guy who threw that figure out there has no inside info at all and made up a number and the fans have ran with it.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Again anything Bennett has said can just be posturing anyway. There's every chance in the world that he wants to both get paid AND be a Seahawk. Naturally the best way of doing that is at least feigning that he's going to play hardball right now. But if he mostly wants the biggest contract possible, I'm guessing that it will be elsewhere and I'll tip my cap to him.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
sc85sis":236smfn5 said:

The only place we've seen it was from a fan article, who said he heard it on 710 Kiro.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
If we can get him for 3 years 6 to 7 mill per I think its definitely worth it 8 is pushing it anything over that is not worth it in my opinion unless they plan on trading Sherman.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
With the increased cap number this year, I think it's a no brainer to do a deal for $8m/yr. If he wants more, then maybe not.

Xarbx425

Reaction score
If the hawks over Michael 9mil a year (not saying they will or should but IF) do you think he walks away from the hawks for 10mil a year to another team??

McGruff

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":fm8hf03l said:
Again anything Bennett has said can just be posturing anyway. There's every chance in the world that he wants to both get paid AND be a Seahawk. Naturally the best way of doing that is at least feigning that he's going to play hardball right now. But if he mostly wants the biggest contract possible, I'm guessing that it will be elsewhere and I'll tip my cap to him.

Timeline is everything. Bennett came out after the SB and was emphatic and enthusiastic about staying a Seahawk. Basically said he'd do whatever it takes to stay.

I am certain that pissed his agent off. Agent doesn't get paid in loyalty dollars.

So agent pulls Bennett aside and says, "Mikey, I know you want to be in Seattle, but I need to make the payments on my private space shuttle and condo on the moon, so you need to back off and start demanding more money."

Bennett swings the other way to please the agent. Bottom line is Mike wants to be hear, we want him here, agent wants to dine on the moon. We'll find a way to make all three happy.

Xarbx425

Reaction score
McGruff":h1g7385t said:
MidwestHawker":h1g7385t said:

Timeline is everything. Bennett came out after the SB and was emphatic and enthusiastic about staying a Seahawk. Basically said he'd do whatever it takes to stay.

I am certain that pissed his agent off. Agent doesn't get paid in loyalty dollars.

So agent pulls Bennett aside and says, "Mikey, I know you want to be in Seattle, but I need to make the payments on my private space shuttle and condo on the moon, so you need to back off and start demanding more money."

Bennett swings the other way to please the agent. Bottom line is Mike wants to be hear, we want him here, agent wants to dine on the moon. We'll find a way to make all three happy.

Protein shake just shot out my nose when i read this... good stuff! haha!!

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I didn't realize Avril was getting paid as much as he is. Bennett has a pretty good argument for big $$ considering, imo.

lukerguy

Reaction score
DavidSeven":acwbj7hl said:
lukerguy":acwbj7hl said:
You aren't going to get 3rd round comp for him because we will re-sign someone else in his place, if he doesn't sign. May get a 6th or 7th.

You have to count ALL of the FAs lost and signed. Seattle has 15 UFAs. If SEA lets the majority of its higher value FAs walk and fills their spots with draft picks or minimum-deal FAs, then it is eligible for the higher level comp picks. If they re-sign everyone except Bennett and give a fat contract to a replacement DE/DE, then yes, we won't get a great comp pick. If we lose more high-value FAs than we sign and if Bennett ends up being one of the best and highest paid FAs to leave a team, then there is a very good chance he nets a 3rd round comp pick.

"A team is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks if it is determined that they lost more or better players than they were able to acquire during the previous year's free agency period. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four)."

Exactly. You made my point for me. There is no chance that we let Bennett walk without signing someone capable of replacing him. They aren't going to trust a rookie to do what Bennett did for us last year. My point was, yes they may sign 1/2 guys for 2-5 million, or one at 6-7 million, but they aren't going to just leave that void unfilled and wait for the draft. There is zero chance Bennett garners a 3rd round comp.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2u8g39ki said:
I didn't realize Avril was getting paid as much as he is. Bennett has a pretty good argument for big $$ considering, imo.

That's because Avril has a backloaded deal. 2yr/$15m. Most of the cap hit is in 2014. I'd love to sign Bennett to $7.5m/yr as well.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If we don't re-sign him, Bennett will get $9m/year with some other team, or more.

Guys that consistently get pressure inside and outside are simply hard to find, and he's not old.

Latest posts