Hawks areas of need, post-FA.

toffee

Reaction score
This is another off-season time killer, shall we discuss our team's areas of need as we head towards the draft?

Offense:
  1. QB: do we need to draft a QB of the future? do we have the draft capital for one? or Howell is it?
  2. RB, WR, and TE, we are set, aren't we?
  3. T: With Cross, Lucas, Fant, and Stone, we are set?
  4. C: Will Olu be adequate to start? Is Nick Harris better than Evan Brown of last season?
  5. LG: We don't have LG on the roster now.
  6. RG: We have Anothony Bradford, who didn't play well as a rookie, no backup.
Defense:

1. DL: we are all set, aren't we? Although an upgrade of an improved Jones or a super rookie would be nice.
  2. OLB: We are again set?
  3. ILB: Both starters on a one-year contract, it's time to draft our ILB of the future.
  4. CB: We are set there too.
  5. S: How comfortable are with Love/Rayshawn?

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
To me, it looks like a great set up to take BPA at every pick. Lots of flexibility built in so JS isn't cornered into a specific need. ...just follow the scouting and steal the unknown superstars or trade back.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think people that are clamoring for a guard are going to have to wait a while. It's a great offensive line draft, which is an option.

But after the draft, you'll also see older, more expensive players lose their jobs to these dudes in the draft. I think that's where the value will be, and those dudes who get cut won't affect potential comp picks. It's a double bonus.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I am not sure we even need a LG. The LG didn't stop anyone last year and the Hawks still had a winning record...save the money :cool:

Scout

Reaction score
Based on draft position in round 1 the Hawks can obtain their pick of edge rushers or interior OL since they are on the outside edge of the top 15. Edge rusher would be a value pick for the Hawks, but landing a high end potential edge rusher might be too tempting to pass up.

Jackson Power-Johnson has a lot of buzz and he isn't only projected exclusively as a center but also as a guard. Other value picks are obviously CB and OT.

This part of the first round outside of the top 15 tends to be more about what players drop and finding value. Best available player is pretty common when it comes to this part of the draft section. That is because most teams have first round grades on probably 15-25 players max or even less.

While it is possible the Hawks trade down so they can hit up all the positions on draft day more likely is that they draft for value over need. And worry about need after the draft. As it has been mentioned soon after post draft is where you do not need to worry about FA signings impacting comp pick calculations.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I think people that are clamoring for a guard are going to have to wait a while. It's a great offensive line draft, which is an option.

But after the draft, you'll also see older, more expensive players lose their jobs to these dudes in the draft. I think that's where the value will be, and those dudes who get cut won't affect potential comp picks. It's a double bonus.
Hell yeah.

Great point that can be supported by what JS has done thus far, which is pick up vets for short term deals . He's really put himself in position to be able to take the best player available. IMHO he's improved the team .

xray

Reaction score
Can't have enough OL bodies . Alway seems to be a need for some reason . imo

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Clearly the biggest area of need is RG/LG. Also, Huard thinks we need a bigger ILB to handle the run since the 2 LB's we lost are a lot bigger than the 2 we got in FA and I tend to agree. DT, SS, and QB are areas probably needing upgrades as well. If JS plays his cards right with the draft the Seahawks could be in great shape next year or so.

chris98251

Reaction score
John likes tilt the field players in Round one especially where we are at, already said Guards are over paid so don't see one taken in the first round, CB, DE, OT, QB, essentially is where I would think he would lean or a trade back, LB's also are not guys you pick at 16 unless they are worldly and even then.

Saying that DE or trade back, don't think he would pull the plug on a QB but maybe if FA fell to him better then anticipated.

CactusJack

Reaction score
1. OG
2. OG/C
3. ILB

They clearly don't value the IOL. So, they'll probably pass on taking one in the first round. Even though it's by far their biggest issue at the moment.

I like John. But this is the one thing that I completely disagree with him on from a roster building perspective. Not properly investing in the line, when it calls for it.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
Based on the flurry of defensive player signings it might be a sign that the team is going to go heavy with the draft on offense not only at guard, but tackle, tight end, and wide receiver. The rest of the picks on defense will be BAP with players to develop.

Right now on paper the Hawks can run Mac's defensive scheme without needing a rookie to step into the lineup. On offense the Hawks are pretty good at most spots except the obvious which is guard.

AgentDib

Reaction score
BPA is our primary need across the board. A lot of our starters are making what they are worth, and for this team to have a surplus talent level we need them to be supplanted in the future by youth. The only position I wouldn't draft is K since Myers still has guaranteed dollars this year.

Guard looks like a need but can be addressed later in this draft.

LB speed is a likely focus with Baker and Dodson on one year contracts. Baltimore drafted Trenton Simpson (4.43s) last year, to play alongside Roquan Smith (4.51s) and Patrick Queen (4.50s). Cooper (4.51s) and Wilson (4.43s) are currently #44 and #45 on the consensus big boards which is an awkward spot with our current picks. Bishop (4.45s) could be an intriguing flex S/LB currently at #86 (we have #81).

QB is obviously the highest value position. I'm not expecting one in the first round, but adding a rookie to develop behind Geno and compete with Howell would be great.

Right tackle is probably also a good bet. Exact terms of Fant's deal are unknown but it looks like it's starting money this year which suggests bad things about Abe Lucas's knee, and not much guaranteed in year 2 ($3.7m bonus). Maybe that indicates a long recovery for Lucas but optimism that he can get back to 100% in 2025.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
1. OG
2. OG/C
3. ILB

They clearly don't value the IOL. So, they'll probably pass on taking one in the first round. Even though it's by far their biggest issue at the moment.

I like John. But this is the one thing that I completely disagree with him on from a roster building perspective. Not properly investing in the line, when it calls for it.
Our OL has been bad for years, and yet, we did invest draft capital, remember Ifedi?

Last edited:

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Based on the flurry of defensive player signings it might be a sign that the team is going to go heavy with the draft on offense not only at guard, but tackle, tight end, and wide receiver.
Why OT and WR? I think we're set there and should only pick one if it's a BPA pick. TE I'm more amenable to prioritizing over the others you mention.