Have we hired the wrong Shanahan disciple?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Everyone was freaking out because Miami is having early success. Like the late great John Madden
said " come talk to me after week 10" or something to that effect. NFL = overreaction.

There have been moments where Seattle moves the ball nicely, Waldron needs a chance to figure
things out . Two rookie tackles, new starting qb etc... all things have to matter ( i think)

AgentDib

Reaction score
The jury is definitely still out on Waldron. This is a really weird discussion though.

Does Waldron not deserve at least some of the credit for Geno playing better than most here expected so far? The scheme has done a ton to help Geno out with high completion rate manageable passes, staying out of the third and long, and quick targets which minimize the risk of rookie tackles. Our third down completion rate last game was particularly good. Unfortunately, one of the reasons why our offensive penalties are such back breakers this season is that they directly unravel what our 2022 scheme is trying to accomplish.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At this point to me the jury is still out on Waldron.

I still am waiting to see the advertised innovation, evidence of any ideas to ignite the running game, etc.. Frankly so far it has not been very evident.

Must admit I gave Waldron a pass last year b/c RW was not truly ‘IN’ insofar as running the system as coached.

I will wait and watch but do understand the frustration and usual constant misplaced willingness to blame Pete. Pete runs the team overall but the O is on Waldron not Pete. Pete is a Defensive coach and has some ideas about O but generally they are not in his lane. We may soon see his fingers in the D if Hurrt can’t fix the glaring holes in his D.

I still feel the O is somewhat constipated or being held back intentionally or otherwise; and whether the O is being so clamped down by some combination of having Geno limited in his options or just because Geno himself is risk adverse b/c he doesn’t trust his long throws. The team as well may be breaking the young OTs in slowly and protecting them as far as needed time of protection with the short passing game demonstrated to now. That said I still see them trying to run inside w/o success and with few if any innovative wrinkles or stretch plays. Not understanding the genuine lack of success in the running attack, the talent at RB is here so it seems
as if the OC has few ideas.

It’s still early but the o has been not that impressive.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

I still am waiting to see the advertised innovation, evidence of any ideas to ignite the running game, etc.. Frankly so far it has not been very evident.

Must admit I gave Waldron a pass last year b/c RW was not truly ‘IN’ insofar as running the system as coached.

I will wait and watch but do understand the frustration and usual constant misplaced willingness to blame Pete. Pete runs the team overall but the O is on Waldron not Pete. Pete is a Defensive coach and has some ideas about O but generally they are not in his lane. We may soon see his fingers in the D if Hurrt can’t fix the glaring holes in his D.

I still feel the O is somewhat constipated or being held back intentionally or otherwise; and whether the O is being so clamped down by some combination of having Geno limited in his options or just because Geno himself is risk adverse b/c he doesn’t trust his long throws. The team as well may be breaking the young OTs in slowly and protecting them as far as needed time of protection with the short passing game demonstrated to now. That said I still see them trying to run inside w/o success and with few if any innovative wrinkles or stretch plays. Not understanding the genuine lack of success in the running attack, the talent at RB is here so it seems

I just think this O has lot of player skills sets to take advantage of, there are only so many snaps..

Integrating new young players into the system it takes time and reps to play efficiently, especially when your trying to take advantage of unique skill sets.

Continuity is a huge factor and that would be the same even if the the players were all vets learning to play together.

they are 1-2 but i see improvement and as long as there is improvement there is room for Optimism.

They might lose a few more before it starts clicking . Its going to happen its just a matter of how soon.

There is a lot of talent on this team. They just have to figure out how to stop the run then they will start winning some games.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

Our poor running may be a result of lousy interior OL plays, especially the center, Austin's may be the worst C in run blocking, Pocic was above average in run blocking last year. To be fair, Austin's pass blocking is much better than Pocic, guess that's one of the reasons we are passing more than running.

I wasn't impressed with Waldron last year, even less this year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Everyone was freaking out because Miami is having early success. Like the late great John Madden
said " come talk to me after week 10" or something to that effect. NFL = overreaction.

There have been moments where Seattle moves the ball nicely, Waldron needs a chance to figure
things out . Two rookie tackles, new starting qb etc... all things have to matter ( i think)
"I think" you're exactly right, People expecting instant success from Waldron's system and not seeing it materialize are fooling themselves, as what system works for one Quarterback doesn't necessarily synchronize for another.
And like you say, two Rookie Tackles being thrust into the fray (which IMHO was the right thing to do) adds a whole another wrinkle to be ironed out.
The system is still in a transformative state, and so long as we see progression, I'm fine & dandy with how it's going.
Everyone on the Offensive side of the ball seems to be coming together pretty well
The Defense, however, is a whole another matter.

morgulon1

Reaction score
"I think" you're exactly right, People expecting instant success from Waldron's system and not seeing it materialize are fooling themselves, as what system works for one Quarterback doesn't necessarily synchronize for another.
And like you say, two Rookie Tackles being thrust into the fray (which IMHO was the right thing to do) adds a whole another wrinkle to be ironed out.
The system is still in a transformative state, and so long as we see progression, I'm fine & dandy with how it's going.
Everyone on the Offensive side of the ball seems to be coming together pretty well
100%

It might take all of this season and some of next year before things truly turn around. My question is
what are people on .net expecting? 40 points and 500 yards average per game ?

I'm guessing Waldron is adjusting on the fly , trying to figure out what will work and who he has to work with. I do like what I see from the tight ends , that's developing nicely . I bet this offense will
be a lot better by the end of the year. I just hope Fade's head doesn't explode before then.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
100%

It might take all of this season and some of next year before things truly turn around. My question is
what are people on .net expecting? 40 points and 500 yards average per game ?

I'm guessing Waldron is adjusting on the fly , trying to figure out what will work and who he has to work with. I do like what I see from the tight ends , that's developing nicely . I bet this offense will
be a lot better by the end of the year. I just hope Fade's head doesn't explode before then.
I do expect we can build on the success of OL powered running game from last season, I do expect we don't suffer reduce in productivity in second half of games. And I hope that our offense can have a hint of an identity in the making, if it's there, it's a bit too subtle for my untrained eyes.

So far, again to my untrained eyes, Waldron is loading up on his people, from Austin Blythe to whatever coaches, which is fine and reasonable. BUT some result please?

Torc

Reaction score
The Defense is THE issue IMO. If the defense were even average, we probably win the Falcons game. The 49ers are just flat better, but it would have been a competitive game at least with better D.

I'm not set on the offense and Geno by any stretch, but they're good enough to win some games if we aren't letting the other team march up and down the field.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Fins will suck with Tua out but they’ve always had a nice defense. Geno has only played a handful of games in this system as a starter and he’s managed it much better than Russ. The offense ain’t bad and getting better week by week.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Fins will suck with Tua out but they’ve always had a nice defense. Geno has only played a handful of games in this system as a starter and he’s managed it much better than Russ. The offense ain’t bad and getting better week by week.
If we would to trust Pete's words, then he was questioning the conservatism of our offense play calling, Pete said or insisted that Geno could make all the throw and we must leverage it, or something to that effect. That sounded very much like the timid play calling is pre Waldron, or Geno, or both.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
If we would to trust Pete's words, then he was questioning the conservatism of our offense play calling, Pete said or insisted that Geno could make all the throw and we must leverage it, or something to that effect. That sounded very much like the timid play calling is pre Waldron, or Geno, or both.
We need to stack the D line in the offseason with all those picks. Considering the haul we got for Wilson I can’t wait till next year. Can we make noise this year? Hell yeah

Rainger

Reaction score
So what has really changed in the offense? I see no difference in play design and style. You mentioned small changes to technique and player personnel. That is not changing the Offense. Maybe it was an expectation of expecting a more Mcvay style offence and not seeing that. But don't tell me he has no say over the offense because he is not the coordinator. The core philosophy appears to be the same. Shoot watching them lineup and do no motion at the goal line almost 6 times in a row was painful.
Oh for god sake's you are blind. This O is using its tight ends, is passing OVER the middle, is hitting quick slants, and to top it off is doing it with rookies on the line and is doing a lot of things that we never saw from an RW lead O.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Oh for god sake's you are blind. This O is using its tight ends, is passing OVER the middle, is hitting quick slants, and to top it off is doing it with rookies on the line and is doing a lot of things that we never saw from an RW lead O.
Doing all these things have resulted in how many tds this season? They have 5 tds in 3 games this season. That's not enough to win in the NFL. Especially with how the Seahawks defense is playing currently. Even arguably the best defense in the league (Bills) couldn't win when their offense only scored two tds vs. Dolphins.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Doing all these things have resulted in how many tds this season? They have 5 tds in 3 games this season. That's not enough to win in the NFL. Especially with how the Seahawks defense is playing currently. Even arguably the best defense in the league (Bills) couldn't win when their offense only scored two tds vs. Dolphins.
You're expecting the Offense to come out of the chute kicking ass right from the get-go? BWAHAAHAHAAHAHAA surly you jest.
Our DEFENSE isn't holding up their end of the bargain; they are SUPPOSED to keep the opponent from running up the score, and eating up the TOP in the boot.

Rainger

Reaction score
Did u watch today's game???

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Did u watch today's game???
My post was at 9:04 Pacific Time. The game had not started yet. It's great to see that they put put 48 points today as they needed every bit of those. The defense gave up 45 points to a team without some of its top weapons. Need to get better on that side of the ball. Hopefully the offense continues it's upward swing.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
You're expecting the Offense to come out of the chute kicking ass right from the get-go? BWAHAAHAHAAHAHAA surly you jest.
Our DEFENSE isn't holding up their end of the bargain; they are SUPPOSED to keep the opponent from running up the score, and eating up the TOP in the boot.
No. I'm expecting better offensive production than scoring 6 points total in 2nd half of first 3 games. Thankfully that happened today. Hope it continues.