Have we hired the wrong Shanahan disciple?

toffee

Reaction score
Watching Dolphins vs Bengals, this thought of Mike McDaniel instead of Waldron kept popping into my mind. Frankly, after one season and 3 games, I am still unsure about Waldron. Thoughts?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yeah these announcers have been drooling over Mcdaniel all game long.

He was the offensive coordinator for the 49ers, and I still think that Waldron could be a good coach, but McDaniel looks like the next Mcvay thus far.

However I'm not too fond of him starting Tua tonight. Poor advise from the medical staff for sure but Tua had no business being out there.

knownone

Reaction score
The Dolphin's offense has more to do with Hill and Waddle than Mcdaniel. We have good weapons, but no one you can just toss the ball to on a screen and watch them manufacture 50 yards.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pete is not the freaking OC.

However, never miss an opportunity for taking a shot at him and carry on.

If Pete has blame it is in signing Waldron.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Offense changes its entire blocking scheme, its entire prototype for OL players, and a huge part of its entire philosophy in terms of run/pass splits lining up with exactly when Waldron and Dickerson came in

"Yep, all Pete"

Fudwamper

Reaction score
So what has really changed in the offense? I see no difference in play design and style. You mentioned small changes to technique and player personnel. That is not changing the Offense. Maybe it was an expectation of expecting a more Mcvay style offence and not seeing that. But don't tell me he has no say over the offense because he is not the coordinator. The core philosophy appears to be the same. Shoot watching them lineup and do no motion at the goal line almost 6 times in a row was painful.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So what has really changed in the offense? I see no difference in play design and style. You mentioned small changes to technique and player personnel. That is not changing the Offense. Maybe it was an expectation of expecting a more Mcvay style offence and not seeing that. But don't tell me he has no say over the offense because he is not the coordinator. The core philosophy appears to be the same. Shoot watching them lineup and do no motion at the goal line almost 6 times in a row was painful.
The things I mentioned are all actually pretty massive changes to an offense, especially when compared to motion rates.

Which, by the way... do we even have any motion rate data? I'm willing to bet they're not doing "no motion" like has been suggested.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
I would disagree that they are "massive changes to an offense". They are things that can change how the line executes its assignments. Obviously changing the type of lineman can also influence success of execution, but again in my view does not change the offense. Don't get me wrong I have seen some different plays but I don't notice a massive play calling philosophy change or formation change. Again I was hoping for more of a style and play change than what we got.

hoxrox

Reaction score
One difference is that they are using more 3 TE sets than before.

Fant, Dissly and Parkinson are making the Seahawks’ offense trickier and potentially more dynamic — by playing at the same time. They did it more last week against Denver than in any Seahawks game in memory. And the tight ends scored Seattle’s only two touchdowns in the win. “There’s a lot of versatility in the formations,” Carroll said of three tight-end sets. “A lot of people think you are just loading up to run the ball down the field, but there’s so many edges and things that you can create, with the motions and the shifts and stuff, as well as the opportunity to throw the ball.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well for one McDaniel is the head coach, not the coordinator.

So it's not really a fair comparison if you're asking why we hired Waldron as OC and not McDaniel.

Secondly this is Pete's team, and if there's ever been anything that's obvious with the revolving door of coordinators it's that he wants his schemes on both sides of the ball run the way he wants them run.

I mean, what other long term successful NFL team has had this many coordinator changes? I can't think of any.

Fade

Reaction score
The big tell is a lack of pre-snap motion, and outside zone runs.

All of the Shanny deciples are into that. The Seahawks? Rigid and straight forward right up the gut, basic b!tch style.
It's Pete's Offense, while the residing OC is allowed to add a sprinkle to it.

But defense is all we should be talking about right now, they are an embarrassment. And Pete has a lot of work to do on that side of the ball. The Lions are banged up and will be playing with there 2nd team offense. I expect results.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Who supposedly was vetted by Russ and his handlers.
Yes Dorsey was the other name, but Russ wanted Waldron..

Still early though. I'd like to see more of what we saw week 1 last year.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
The Seahawks have but one common denominator when it comes to anything over the past 10 plus years. Pete. Does he meddle in the offense? I have zero clue. I don't work for the team. But I can tell you, as most already observed, the offense has looked the same no matter who runs it under Pete.

Torc

Reaction score
The Seahawks have but one common denominator when it comes to anything over the past 10 plus years. Pete. Does he meddle in the offense? I have zero clue. I don't work for the team. But I can tell you, as most already observed, the offense has looked the same no matter who runs it under Pete.
You know what else has been the common denominator for 10 years? The QB. No matter who the OC is, Russ was Russ. If you think the offense looks the same with Russ and Geno running it, we must be watching different games. Geno throws to the middle of the field, and is happy to throw intermediate passes instead of prolonging a play for the deep ball. Geno utilizes the pocket instead of running out of it - that alone makes our offense look completely different. The difference between games 1 and 2 last year really highlighted how Waldron wants to utilize more motion but Russ didn't.

We're passing on 66% of our plays this year. Last year, it was 57%. Go back to 2019, it was 54%. (source: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2022-10-02)

knownone

Reaction score
The big tell is a lack of pre-snap motion, and outside zone runs.

All of the Shanny deciples are into that. The Seahawks? Rigid and straight forward right up the gut, basic b!tch style.
It's Pete's Offense, while the residing OC is allowed to add a sprinkle to it.

But defense is all we should be talking about right now, they are an embarrassment. And Pete has a lot of work to do on that side of the ball. The Lions are banged up and will be playing with there 2nd team offense. I expect results.
Seattle was like 11th in pre-snap motion last year. It's not like they are not using it.