Hauschka is the man!

BigMeach

Reaction score
I know there has been back and forth about getting a new kicker. But I think he made a statement today. I'm so glad we kept this guy.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember posters all over him in the offseason. I think the team made the right decision. :)

HawkFanNC

Reaction score
Money on the FGs, and his kickoffs seem to be touchbacks more often than they were last year. Glad they kept him around.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Well to be fair to those that weren't sold on Haushka last year...he has improved a hell of a lot this past offseason. His leg strength is noticeably stronger and he's been money so far.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't recall a lot of good returns on kickoffs so far this year. Mostly like you say, TB's.

The Outfield

Reaction score
He improved immensely over the off season. Too bad we didn't sign him to a longer contract. If he continues like this, he won't be cheap to re-sign. However, I'll enjoy him while we have him.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
To be fair, I think most people wanted a replacement due to Pete's unwillingness to kick field goals from 50+ and assuming that was an indictment on Hauschka's range. It may have been partly that and he likely improved his range in the off season, but I think the majority of it was just Pete's plan to try and put team's on a longer field with the quality of defense we had, not to mention having a rookie QB. Hauschka has always been money inside of 50 and this pre-season showed that he has more than enough leg from 50+.

sutz

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1ltawiz0 said:
To be fair, I think most people wanted a replacement due to Pete's unwillingness to kick field goals from 50+ and assuming that was an indictment on Hauschka's range. It may have been partly that and he likely improved his range in the off season, but I think the majority of it was just Pete's plan to try and put team's on a longer field with the quality of defense we had, not to mention having a rookie QB. Hauschka has always been money inside of 50 and this pre-season showed that he has more than enough leg from 50+.
Yeah, there were some assumptions being made about the why of not kicking long FGs.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Seanhawk":12go1mez said:
I think the majority of it was just Pete's plan to try and put team's on a longer field with the quality of defense we had, not to mention having a rookie QB. Hauschka has always been money inside of 50 and this pre-season showed that he has more than enough leg from 50+.

Haushka's nemesis wears #9. Ryan is just clutch. When you have a punter of his quality, on top of the defense you mention above, the conservative Pete prefers to create a long field to kicking FGs. Pinning the opposition inside the 10 is awesome, Pete...until they get a 1st down. Then it just looks like a missed opportunity to put 3 pts on the board. Pete's approach has cost us a game or two, but more times than not, Pete makes the right call and you can find fault in any coach.

IMO, Haushka is a pro-bowl caliber kicker, we are fortunate to have him and I'd like to see Pete truly trust this awesome D by letting Haushka attempt more FGs.

Latest posts