Has Pete lost it?

HD48

Reaction score
First couple of weeks, offense looked great WITH Schottenheimer who called an offense that was the exact opposite of Peteball. Due to the amount of points and yards given up, Pete wanted Peteball back and that was pretty much the nail in the coffin for our offense. Never looked the same since.

Now he comes out, says he expects Schottenheimer to be back and how they scored the most points in history only to then fire the guy who's hands he tied. I don't know how thats not something you'd call stabbing someone in the back.

Also - if you want to run the ball even more (which is crazy in itself considering we run it already almost 60% on early downs) why u pay Russ 35M $ per year? If thats what you wanna do, trade him, get a Rookie QB and invest heavily at Oline and get a top-tier RB. You can't have it both ways Petey.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
You do know that the Pete-Ball thing is entirely of our manufacture, don't you? Nobody here has any direct knowledge of the dynamics between Pete and Schotty and who called what when.

It's entirely possible that our offense started to tank when we started to play some better defenses. I know that doesn't fit the agenda being pushed by lots of people here, but it IS and alternate explanation that has a rational basis instead of just fans speculating.

The end of the season was when we played all of our division games, and all of our division mates are in the top 7 in net yards per pass attempt on defense.

OP
OP
H

HD48

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3anlct0t said:
You do know that the Pete-Ball thing is entirely of our manufacture, don't you? Nobody here has any direct knowledge of the dynamics between Pete and Schotty and who called what when.

It's entirely possible that our offense started to tank when we started to play some better defenses. I know that doesn't fit the agenda being pushed by lots of people here, but it IS and alternate explanation that has a rational basis instead of just fans speculating.

The end of the season was when we played all of our division games, and all of our division mates are in the top 7 in net yards per pass attempt on defense.

Obviously there will never be a way to prove this but its so obvious. Pete came out after the loss to the Bills in week 8 saying we needed to run the ball better and control the clock, get back to a more balanced offense etc. Basically the same stuff he's talking again now.l

So after week 8 PPG dropped from 35,8 to 22,7 ! Let that sink in. Thats not just playing better defenses....thats taking a totally different approach.

Also they spoke a bout a philosophical differences when parting ways with Schotty - another hint at him wanting to run something else than Pete's run run pass Peteball

getnasty

Reaction score
Let Russ Cook went 6-3 on the year with the best win against Miami in week 4.

Pete ball went 6-2 on the year with it's best win in week 16 against the Rams.

I beleive there was definitely a philosophy change after the 1st Rams game. The biggest reason was to help the defense but let's not act like the offesne agaisnt the Bills and the Rams 1st game was good either.

Seattle finally ran up against two playoff caliber defenses and caught a beatdown with the Let Russ Cook philosophy.

If you flip the season and Pete ball was played weeks 1-9 agaisnt those defenses i'm sure the offesne would have looked fine. Let Russ cook would not have been near as efficient in weeks 10 through playoff loss.

Of course it was fun to watch the offense early in the year but don’t forget how people complianed about the defense.

I can see both side of it and the answer probably falls somewhere in between the two styles. With Pete as the head coach fans need to accept the fact that he values TOP, TO margin, deep shots, and running the football. At the same time hopefully Pete defines his style of ball to the new OC but let's him do it his way.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There is a kernel of truth regarding "PeteBall" in that Pete would much prefer his offense to be highly efficient rather than voluminous. Guys like Bruce Arians and Mike Martz are on the other end of the spectrum and believe that high volume passing warrants an increase in turnovers. In contrast, a great offensive showing in Pete's opinion is the 2018 Lions game where we ran for 176 yards and Russ was 14/17 for 248 yards, 3 TDs, and 0 INTs.

That being said, most ideas of "PeteBall" on offense that do not revolve around efficiency seem like borderline conspiracy theories that posters should know better than to parrot. Pete wants his offenses to score, he wants them to score TDs rather than FGs, and he likes passing if they are either high percentage low risk completions or explosive shots downfield where either we will catch it or it will be incomplete. Pete is all about being efficient while minimizing risk and trusting his defense to play well.

I get why Seahawk fans call this "PeteBall" but there are plenty of successful coaches who are on the far end of the efficiency-volume spectrum with a primary emphasis on avoiding turnovers. Bill Belichick, John Harbaugh, and Kyle Shanahan all talk about efficient play and avoiding turnovers at least as much as Pete does.

HD48":380phl6q said:
So after week 8 PPG dropped from 35,8 to 22,7 ! Let that sink in. Thats not just playing better defenses....thats taking a totally different approach.
Except our running ratio on first down didn't really change much. What did change is defenses across the NFL (including ours) catching up, RB injuries hurting the effectiveness of our run game, playing better quality defenses, and those better quality defenses playing soft against us and daring us to run or hit the quick pass which we then didn't take advantage of.

HD48":380phl6q said:
Also they spoke a bout a philosophical differences when parting ways with Schotty - another hint at him wanting to run something else than Pete's run run pass Peteball
Immediately before that Pete said he was keeping Schotty, so perhaps you shouldn't misinterpret niceties aimed for media consumption as truth. Our offense was inefficient the second half of the season and so this is a completely unsurprising change.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think Pete is out of ideas.

He knows what won in the past. So he wants to do that.

On the surface, it works. With teams gearing up more to stop the pass - defenses are lighter and faster. But you know, the league has changed and it is also easier to score now. So scoring less than 20 isn't a recipe for success.

Run blocking IS leagues easier than pass blocking, easier to find, and more preferred by offensive linemen who get to dish out punishment rather than take it. It is also significantly less tiring for your OL.

But our best assets and weapons are in the passing game.

So maybe you can gamble that getting run blocking lines in place will be easier because it is not a coveted skill. But you are setting Wilson up to get hammered. There are more imaginative ways to protect Wilson that use him more effectively. And the idea that he cannot do the quick passing game is crap - he did it that entire year he was injured (2016?) and put up some of his best numbers.

So here is Pete, wedded to a plan that relies on his defense (which seems to shift from decent to adequate to garbage but never exceptional or 'pin your hopes on' quality).

And the plan does not match his personnel. In the 4-5 years it takes to build the roster to fit this stupid plan - Pete will be 75ish and gone anyway.

We don't really have a choice. We have to hope that with Pete out of ideas, maybe he will bring someone in that has some. But I doubt it. I think he is old, over, washed up, and a net negative on gameday now. He does beat losing teams so there is that. And Wilson gets some wins for him over better teams.

But the ceiling is basically a good regular-season record and terrible playoff performances now. The floor is rapidly dropping as Pete ages and so do his best players. We have no choice but to ride this aging horse because it is all we have.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Cautiously optimistic indeed. Especially come playoff time when he refuses to adapt, while his opponents seem to.
Sigh...…..

ZagHawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3bn9l2vz said:
hawker84":3bn9l2vz said:
Pete lost it the second after that pick in the 2nd SB....

Pretty much

Yup he used to pride himself on "we're gonna do what we want to do, you know what we do, we're going to do it anyway try and stop us". That one play he got cute and decided to call the pass. Then after that it's like he over corrected and said I'm never straying ever again. We see what we see. The sad thing is Pete is not a bad coach, but he is stuck in his way right now and the team and talent (with the salaries involved) around him will not compete (NFCCG+). It's sad because the talent is there to compete, but they are being forced to stay a square peg at all times and sometimes that hole is round...and you will eventually see that round hole in the playoffs whether it's round 1, 2 or 3. This time it was round 1.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2gw7b2sw said:

On the surface, it works. With teams gearing up more to stop the pass - defenses are lighter and faster. But you know, the league has changed and it is also easier to score now. So scoring less than 20 isn't a recipe for success.

Run blocking IS leagues easier than pass blocking, easier to find, and more preferred by offensive linemen who get to dish out punishment rather than take it. It is also significantly less tiring for your OL.

So maybe you can gamble that getting run blocking lines in place will be easier because it is not a coveted skill. But you are setting Wilson up to get hammered. There are more imaginative ways to protect Wilson that use him more effectively. And the idea that he cannot do the quick passing game is crap - he did it that entire year he was injured (2016?) and put up some of his best numbers.

So here is Pete, wedded to a plan that relies on his defense (which seems to shift from decent to adequate to garbage but never exceptional or 'pin your hopes on' quality).

And the plan does not match his personnel. In the 4-5 years it takes to build the roster to fit this stupid plan - Pete will be 75ish and gone anyway.

We don't really have a choice. We have to hope that with Pete out of ideas, maybe he will bring someone in that has some. But I doubt it. I think he is old, over, washed up, and a net negative on gameday now. He does beat losing teams so there is that. And Wilson gets some wins for him over better teams.

But the ceiling is basically a good regular-season record and terrible playoff performances now. The floor is rapidly dropping as Pete ages and so do his best players. We have no choice but to ride this aging horse because it is all we have.
Agreed.

rogerwilliambruce

Reaction score
I think as Pete has aged he has lost the edge he had 8 years ago. He now has poor time management and cost us to have too hurry because of his mental slowness. He insists on calling the plays and the younger opposing coaches know what he is going to do and outmaneuver us.

Pete has wasted Russell Wilson and the Seahawks are no longer getting the good new draft picks because he cannot make up his mind on what to go after. His judgement has been impaired ever since then because of his guilt. We are way past time to lose Pete Carroll, imagine what Mike Holmgren could have done with this talent.

Pete has become a very mediocre coach at best, please fire him.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
rogerwilliambruce":6ub8nbc3 said:
I think as Pete has aged he has lost the edge he had 8 years ago. He now has poor time management...

Wait, Pete used to have good time management? :stirthepot:

iigakusei

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3f55b5n5 said:

One of the best posts I have read this year.

RCATES

Reaction score
First several weeks every offense was lighting it up. There was no Pre-season and Defenses were behind. Once they got settled Russ went back to his normal flash in a pan in the 4th qtr bs. Garbage the first 3 quarters. You know normal Russ play.