Halftime Show

GemCity

Reaction score
I’m a rap fan but, I’ll also listen to legendary rock bands like AC/DC, Eagles, etc. I’m also a fan of groups like Whiskey Myers and there’s actually a few country singers that I dig. I suppose I’m fairly eclectic but…the only thing I play in the ride is rap.

With that said, Rhianna’s show didn’t interest me. I’ve seen MJ, Prince, Whitney, etc…it’s hard to compare with those but…

The energy is important and her show didn’t have it. My daughter and wife like Taylor Swift and regardless if I do or don’t (which I don’t), I’d imagine her people would ensure the show was high energy and would be exponentially better than what we saw this year.

I liked Dre, Mary, Eminem, Snoop, 50….these folks are legends.

I’d imagine that the NO SuperBowl may have Little Wayne, CMB, Hot Boys…and I know that show would likely be on par with what you’d expect of an event at that level.

I’ll still be interested in next years performer(s) but the minute Lil Nas X, Sam Smith, MGK, or some other new age artists with music that doesn’t resonate with me performs, I won’t be watching halftime.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I will vote for the halftime shows by Bruce Springsteen and The Rolling Stones. Honorary mention for U2.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Was at a gathering of 15ish couples (and assorted kids), mostly in their 40s with a couple outliers.

Women: Turn it up!
Men: Why’s the pregnant lady grabbing her crotch and twerking?
Kids: Are the dancers supposed to be yeti?

Personally not a fan of her music, but nothing against it. Medley was fine for the tone and the sky platforms were kinda cool. Rihanna seemed really stiff, maybe due to the pregnancy or safety harness?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'm serious. I really do think Bruno Mars was somewhat marginally better than the steaming pile of shit we see most years. Is that a compliment, or an insult? That's for you to decide.

Okay then, I'll explain it to you.

I couldn't give 2 sh**s what the halftime show is but Bruno Mars's performance at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford New Jersey for SB XLVII was my favorite because the team I was cheering for won the game.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I stopped watching halftime shows 20 years ago. For my taste, they just became way too over the top. I get having a special show for the biggest game of the year, but it's like they're trying too hard. Besides, I don't watch football for the halftime shows, I watch it for the game. Well, maybe the cheerleaders too.
No one is topping Purple Rain in the Miami rain, so I don’t watch them anymore.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's so funny that old dudes think not knowing who well know mainstream artists and bands are is some sort of flex.

The Super Bowl is now a global event, it's not a regional sports event anymore that only men in the United States enjoyed watching. So the NFL figured out that in order to attract the largest possible global audience, they needed larger appealing artists.

So it's OK if you're an old dude and don't like the halftime show. It's not for you. The game is for you. The halftime show is for everyone around the world, our wives, girlfriends and kids to enjoy the music and production.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
For me the halftime show is mostly background sound they will never play any band I would like. According to a friend I have that is in the radio business due to the time frame that the act has to play between setup , play music and get the equipment off the field the music needs to be pre recorded no matter the genre and the fact the the act doesn’t get paid I am sure is a turn off to many high level acts

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The exposure is worth most these artists to play for free. I have pretty eclectic tastes, am smack dab middle aged, don't apologize for what I like or don't like. Rhianna was okay. Bruno Mars was terrific as he is extremely talented, great voice, dancer, and yeah, it doesn't hurt that every time I hear his voice or music I am instantly transported to February 2nd, 2014. One of the best days of my life.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It's so funny that old dudes think not knowing who well know mainstream artists and bands are is some sort of flex.

The Super Bowl is now a global event, it's not a regional sports event anymore that only men in the United States enjoyed watching. So the NFL figured out that in order to attract the largest possible global audience, they needed larger appealing artists.

So it's OK if you're an old dude and don't like the halftime show. It's not for you. The game is for you. The halftime show is for everyone around the world, our wives, girlfriends and kids to enjoy the music and production.
Right on! I used the halftime show to go to the bathroom and get a snack, so I missed the middle of it. No big loss.

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score

I think you don't realize how many young people hate this kind of music. I'm in my 30s, and all the people at the party that were into watching Rhianna were fairly older than me, in their 40s.

But either way, a lot of young people think it's funny to say "who?" When I mention Tom Petty or some shit, so I do it right back at them. It ain't a flex when I say it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think you don't realize how many young people hate this kind of music. I'm in my 30s, and all the people at the party that were into watching Rhianna were fairly older than me, in their 40s.

But either way, a lot of young people think it's funny to say "who?" When I mention Tom Petty or some shit, so I do it right back at them. It ain't a flex when I say it.

Yes, Rhianna is for women in their 30's and 40's (and young men struggling with their sexuality), because that's when she was relevant, in the mid 2000's.

Just so happens to be one of the prime advertising demographics that companies who are paying 5M a spot for their SuperBowl ads are targeting. Not a coincidence.

And you and other dude's aren't fooling anyone with your "I don't even know who this is!" comments. That's as old as time, too cool to know silly pop music or bands.

As I said, it's not for you, and hasn't been for you in 20 years.

As a guy in my 50's, I actually love the production of the SB halftime shows now. Last year with all the LA hip hop and rap I loved 20 years ago? That was amazing IMO.

I'd much rather see a young at least somewhat relevant pop artist or band doing a massive production full of energy than another geezer rock group warbling through a sleepy boring set, cause they need another vacation home off the coast of France.

Torc

Reaction score
I don't know that we'll ever see a major rock act at the super bowl again. In the grand scheme of currently popular music, I'm not sure there IS a major rock act. I know my kids wouldn't care to see the U2s or Paul McCartneys of the world. But my daughters DID come in and watch Rhianna. I had zero interest....but like Sgt. Largent said, I'm far from the demographic they're going for.

I think the major change in the past few years is Jay Z is in charge of choosing super bowl acts instead of the owners. It's created a dramatic shift. One I'm less interested in but is probably way more popular.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Unless it's a musical act I am really interested in (Pink is another amazing singer and performer I would love to see), I'm really only interested in the actual game itself, and the commercials as an aside if they are funny, clever and/or thought provoking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Unless it's a musical act I am really interested in (Pink is another amazing singer and performer I would love to see), I'm really only interested in the actual game itself, and the commercials as an aside if they are funny, clever and/or thought provoking.

Pink sang the national anthem a couple years ago, killed it.

I rarely love the halftime acts, but most years I'm thoroughly impressed with the production and performances. Other than the Grammys, it's the only time we get to see this level of production, guest appearances and spectacle.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Pink sang the national anthem a couple years ago, killed it.

I rarely love the halftime acts, but most years I'm thoroughly impressed with the production and performances. Other than the Grammys, it's the only time we get to see this level of production, guest appearances and spectacle.
Do you remember Whitney Houston’s national anthem 1991? If not, check it out on YouTube.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
unless the hawks are in the superbowl, I literally skip everything but the game action.

Pre game? I'm cooking
commercials? toke break on the deck
half time? refresh da food
post game? ZZZzzzzzzzzzz.....