Gus Bradley

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Bradley was good except in the final few minutes of 4th quarters. Though, he was definitely allergic to blitzing. Funny, when I complained during the tail end of the season about his last-minute switches to zone at the end of 4th quarters, I was mostly maligned for it at the time...

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Bradley likes the front four to generate pressure, I think, so that's one place where Jacksonville needs to improve rapidly. The good news for Bradley is that the Colts and Titans suck and honestly, the Texans aren't exactly the Patriots (even the crippled, injured, no safety-play Patriots) when it comes down to crunch-time, so if they draft right, he can win that division in the next two or three years.

pehawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3jl2o51q said:
Bradley likes the front four to generate pressure, I think, so that's one place where Jacksonville needs to improve rapidly. The good news for Bradley is that the Colts and Titans suck and honestly, the Texans aren't exactly the Patriots (even the crippled, injured, no safety-play Patriots) when it comes down to crunch-time, so if they draft right, he can win that division in the next two or three years.

Word.

And, I really liked their draft and what it means for their offense. Just like Boise State and the WAC is where offensive innovation begins, Jacksonville should be that for the NFL. It's just a 2nd rate franchise, pure and simple. That should be a place where crazy new ideas are tried out. That's why I always felt Tebow should've gotten a shot there. But, I hope some of those draft picks, like Denard, get a shot to run a series or two.

drdiags

Reaction score
Gus getting a little love from Don Banks. Though not sure if I would go with the Tony Dungy reference

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130814/jacksonville-jaguars-gus-bradley/

It's difficult to overestimate the degree of enthusiasm the Jaguars players have for Bradley and the atmospheric change the former Seattle defensive coordinator has brought to a deflated locker room in his few short months on the job. In my years of covering the NFL, I can remember witnessing only one other similar honeymoon between a first-time head coach and the perennial loser he inherited: Tony Dungy's inaugural offseason in Tampa Bay in 1996, when his calm and consistent approach with the Bucs helped lay the foundation for the turnaround of the NFL's worst franchise.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... z2byJOuSWV

pehawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2cye7ywo said:
pehawk":2cye7ywo said:
But, I hope some of those draft picks, like Denard, get a shot to run a series or two.

This might sound stupid, but I hope they bring back the Wildcat. Denard Robinson can actually throw the football, so a modified Wildcat might well work in their case.

Totally agree! And, don't fret, they are bringing it back with Denard. I cant remember, but they drafted a few other multi-positional types as well.

From the outside it looks like Bradley's going Patera down in Jax. Some trickery to even the odds a bit. Love it...

Axx

Reaction score
If you enjoy heart breaking lost caused by a collapsing defense then you'll love Gus.

hawker84

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1725ry19 said:
Nice guy, but severely overrated as a D-coord.
I'm in the minority opinion on this here but I'm glad he's gone, he was "the weak link" IMHO. Passive soft zone play calling and schemes held this team back, Quinn will be an improvement........once again, one guy's opinion.

You are not alone on this, I was not sad to see him leave. Wish him the best though..

ivotuk

Reaction score
FWIW, I think Gus is a very good DC but I worry about his overall confidence as a head coach since he has so little experience as a guy in charge. But he will definitely improve that defense and I think give the offense a boost in doing so. I think he will have some success, maybe even make the playoffs, but I don't see a championship in his future.

A lot has to do with the talent on the team though. Look at the Dolphins, imaho, Don Philbin is a weak head coach yet he is having success in Miami. He inherited a pretty good defense then was smart enough to hire Tannehill's old coach and draft the QB. I believe Gus is a much better coach than Philbin but the Jaguars don't have a lot of talent to work with.

Quinn, I believe, will improve our defense because he is a much smarter coach with the ability to design intricate defenses that will fool the opposing teams and cost them yards.