Greg Olsen

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I haven’t seen anyone discussing his play from Sunday. I clearly remember two of his plays. The first one was the ball he didn’t catch but was tipped into the hands of a defender for a pick 6 and the other was a false start. He left the field right after that and I didn’t see him after that. He had the most snaps of the TEs by 45-31 for Dissly. He had no catches so I guess his blocking was on point. Not a good game from a high priced FA. I know everyone has a bad game once in awhile but this game of his has me worried. I just hope his blocking is worth it.

HawkerD

Reaction score
He made one play as I recall. Russ had to throw one away down the left sideline and Olsen was the player in the area. He quickly raised his hand as to say "that was to me".

Honestly he looked distracted. False starts and that drop are all lack of focus plays. Might have something going on in his life. He definitely needs to get it cleaned up ASAP.

chrispy

Reaction score
Weird game for him with Cam connection.... Both new teams. Difference is he signed as a high priced, recruited FA. Cam signed as cut, injured, washed up. He had a lot to prove and didn't necessarily come out on top.

Elemas

Reaction score
Wasn't on board with his signing. That $$ could've been used on a DE...such as Clowney or Everson G.

Not having depth is a risk but, I have a feeling Hollister and Uncle Will would've been just fine.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I think he'll soon redeem himself, but will probably continue to have "Oops" moments. Just hope they become more rare as the season progresses.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
falcongoggles":esuw9cfu said:
Don’t forget a false start the week prior as well

And a great TD where he pulled his hands up quickly to catch a hard thrown ball.

IMO Olsen's going to be fine, I see him pressing and still a little awkward in his assignments and route running........which should be understandable. Dude played in the same system for over a decade.

CPHawk

Reaction score
SNDavidson":2mzrcmad said:
He had a bad game, meh.

I also think people are undervalued the pre season. 4 games vs 0, is a big deal. It would allow him to learn the O, and also knock the rust off.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
Seriously, did Hollister fall off the edge of the planet? Screw Old-sen. Gimme’ back Hollister.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Olsen was also brought here to coach up and mentor our young TEs, besides his on-field production. Uncle Will, Colby Parkinson, Steven Sullivan. Hollister too, I suppose. If one year of shadowing Greg Olsen can elevate the games of Dissly, Parkinson, and Sullivan, then it's a steal of a deal.

Hollister is there waiting and ready. He'll either get his opportunities or he'll be trade bait for DL.

Teahawks

Reaction score
olyfan63":hglci90f said:
Olsen was also brought here to coach up and mentor our young TEs, besides his on-field production. Uncle Will, Colby Parkinson, Steven Sullivan. Hollister too, I suppose. If one year of shadowing Greg Olsen can elevate the games of Dissly, Parkinson, and Sullivan, then it's a steal of a deal.

Hollister is there waiting and ready. He'll either get his opportunities or he'll be trade bait for DL.

Came here to say exactly this. Spot on.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
But if he's mentoring Dissly, it's not bearing much visible fruit, yet.

Will had amazing games in the last two seasons before his injuries. This year so far... what, one catch? Is that because Olsen is taking his snaps? Or are we just running a different Offensive scheme based on opponents?

toffee

Reaction score
Players retire for a reason, whether it's wear and tear, lost a step or two, mentally tired of the game, etc., Let's hope that Olsen still got it, so far, it's not looking so good.

As great as Jerry Rice, who trained harder and dedicate more to the game than someone else. The last 2-3 years of his career, he clearly lost a step. Mental toughness just couldn't compensate for physical deterioration.

Olsen? ummmm.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":21ke048u said:
But if he's mentoring Dissly, it's not bearing much visible fruit, yet.

Will had amazing games in the last two seasons before his injuries. This year so far... what, one catch? Is that because Olsen is taking his snaps? Or are we just running a different Offensive scheme based on opponents?

So Olsen hasn't had a lot of action, Hollister hasn't had a lot of action, Dissley hasn't had a lot of action...

I think the conclusion we should be coming to is that TE's running routes just haven't been part of the gameplan in general yet.

byau

Reaction score
He also had a catch for about 9 to 10 yards, called back on holding penalty.
Also, there were a few plays were he was the first read by Wilson but then Wilson went on to his 2nd and 3rd reads (including one in the redzone).

I think this game Greg was just nervous, he didn't recover from his hands of stone pick six.

But, I think he and Russ have developed a quick chemistry, something Russ and Jimmy never had. I just go back to his touchdown in game 1, Russ threw the ball while Greg still had his back turned and was about 7 feet from where he would eventually catch the ball. He basically turned, felt the ball, and kept it.

So I'm willing to give this game a pass and see how he does. Because if anything if he has chemistry and route running he can get himself to open spaces for some easier catches.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If he makes a few plays on Sunday, the same people calling him old etc. will be cheering him on. Meh, it's one damn drop in one game. :roll:

massari

Reaction score
The injury prone relic with one foot in the broadcast booth could get 700 yards/10 TD's and it still would've been better spending that money towards the DL.

$7M Olsen
$6M E.Griffen

His drop for a pick 6 has already cancelled his TD.