Great to see Penny get work

hawknation2018

Reaction score
TreeRon":2inhgmpf said:
To me it looks like he's still learning that some of those jump moves along the LOS and etc don't work in the NFL. Eventually he'll get the message that it's one cut(if that) and up the field. Once he's in the open field make all the moves he needs.
If he never gets a clue, he'll be out of the league.

A lot of these issues were obvious on film when Penny was chosen.

I feel he will be a much better player in his 2nd year. He has the size/speed combo that could make him a good player with time. Right now, Carson and Davis are both running the ball, blocking, breaking tackles more effectively.

sutz

Reaction score
TreeRon":1j4a8tjr said:
To me it looks like he's still learning that some of those jump moves along the LOS and etc don't work in the NFL. Eventually he'll get the message that it's one cut(if that) and up the field. Once he's in the open field make all the moves he needs.
If he never gets a clue, he'll be out of the league.
This.

He's still developing game speed and learning that holes in the NFL are just smaller and don't stay open as long as in college.

Had hoped he'd 'get it' faster, but he did miss a lot of time in pre-season.

Decimation

Reaction score
Obviously I’m excited for his potential. But it’s clear as day that Carson has outplayed him.

I’m sure the rook will get better once he adjusts to the NFL.

sutz

Reaction score
If Carson can stay healthy and keep producing, we'll be able to 'red shirt' Penny and use him very selectively as he comes up to NFL speed.

:fingers crossed:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Everything that Sutz said above. Carson was excellent today, especially on that 3rd and 12 run and the 5 yard TD run.
I'm sure it helps having Fluker back too. Fluker is a beast at creating running lanes.

Penny shows flashes, but definitely there is a learning curve.

mistaowen

Reaction score
He just doesn’t look like an exciting RB. He doesn’t make anyone miss and doesn’t break tackles. Reminds me of Robert Turbin a little. It’s still very early and premature to think he won’t be good, I just don’t see a spark in his play. All his highlights from colllege were blown defenses where he is untouched for 70 yards.

Carson was running like a guy who wants the ball 20+ times a game. I’d like to maybe see Penny return a kick off sometime.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
olyfan63":2j0mpovn said:
Everything that Sutz said above. Carson was excellent today, especially on that 3rd and 12 run and the 5 yard TD run.
I'm sure it helps having Fluker back too. Fluker is a beast at creating running lanes.

Carson averaged 3.2 ypc.... on 32 carries. That’s not great.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":xflsurri said:
olyfan63":xflsurri said:

Carson averaged 3.2 ypc.... on 32 carries. That’s not great.

Carson is averaging over 3.9 yards per carry on 45 carries. Running hard against stacked boxes.

What’s Penny averaging? :p

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Jerhawk":ppvaiywd said:
Instead of making a new thread, I'll just bump this one of that's ok.

Penny was a disappointment today. A huge factor of that would be limited work due to how great Carson was doing.

But he squandered the few opportunities he had. Fumbling that read option was bad, and I'm really concerned with where he's at right now.

I need to see someone get the ball 20+ times and get in the flow of the game to make that call.

Fact is Carson averaged 3.2 ypc on his chance and people feel that’s great. Now give the rook a game like that before we judge. People thinking 3.2ypc on 32 carries is good have lost their mind. People judging a rookie on 3 carries saying they are disappointed have lost their minds.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2984x46p said:
Jerhawk":2984x46p said:

Penny was a disappointment today. A huge factor of that would be limited work due to how great Carson was doing.

But he squandered the few opportunities he had. Fumbling that read option was bad, and I'm really concerned with where he's at right now.

I need to see someone get the ball 20+ times and get in the flow of the game to make that call.

Fact is Carson averaged 3.2 ypc on his chance and people feel that’s great. Now give the rook a game like that before we judge. People thinking 3.2ypc on 32 carries is good have lost their mind. People judging a rookie on 3 carries saying they are disappointed have lost their minds.

Penny has 20 carries for 43 yards. Less than 2.2 yards per carry.

If they gave him 20+ carries in a game, we would lose that game.

He needs an off-season to improve.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3q556vvu said:
Jerhawk":3q556vvu said:

You have a weird dislike of certain RB's.

Also, Penny fumbled. That's been used as a criticism of Carson.

GLio14

Reaction score
Our offensive line, despite looking a little bit better, still has its flaws, which is a reason why Carson averaged 3.2 ypc.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
olyfan63":pypwu9w0 said:
Spin Doctor":pypwu9w0 said:
olyfan63":pypwu9w0 said:
Hasselbeck":pypwu9w0 said:
He didn't deserve 5 touches in that half, much less all the action. Carson is such a better RB than him it's not even funny. Happy we drafted the next Christine Michael though, so hyped.

Penny actually understands the game and is a much smarter cat than CMike. Bad comparison.
I love Chris Carson's game but let's not pretend he is BeastMode II.
Nobody is saying that he is beast mode two, we're saying that he is the much better back than Penny is at this point in time. There is no arguing that fact right now.

As for your point about Penny understanding the game and being smarter than CMike, I'm not so sure. He had issues learning the playbook and picking up things in the Senior Bowl practices from reports I read. Whenever he is on the field Wilson has to direct him and personally show him where to go. Was never psyched for this pick. As many have said out he looks like a first rounder version of Micheal Turbin.

You're comparing a rookie/college senior in a one game event to a multi-year veteran who STILL had difficulties with playbook basics? And based on hearsay?

Did you mean ROBERT Turbin? Or is that Christine Michael + Robert Turbin = Micheal Turbin? The back who doesn't know the play, and constantly gets tripped up by an extra-tall blade of grass at the line of scrimmage?

You're just in HATER mode on Penny without giving him a realistic chance. I liked what I saw from Penny against the Bears. Except on not stopping the pick 6 by coming to the ball.
It was one of Penny's knocks coming out of college. He had a hard time grasping the playbook at the Senior Bowl. While he had a good game, he was underwhelming in practices. In the NFL he is constantly having to be redirected by Russell Wilson. I think it is safe to surmise based on what we've heard, and what we're seeing on the field that he is having issues right now.

What I'm getting at here is if you're going to commit a first round draft pick for a running back, they had better produce results immediately. Penny looks lost, and dazed when he is on the field. I don't think that bodes well for his future.

Also yes, Penny like Turbin gets tripped up by basic arm tackles, and he hasn't shown much of an ability to make others miss or break the first tackle. Both of which are essential for succeeding as a running back in the NFL. He doesn't play smart and thing seem to stall when he is on the field. At this point he needs to be behind Procise, and Davis.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Jerhawk":qvgkkwci said:
vin.couve12":qvgkkwci said:
He's a rook from a small school. Chill out.

He's a first round pick who looks slow and confused, being outplayed by a 7th round pick in his second year.

My criticism lies more with the scouting department and front office for reaching on a player with their first round pick who looks like he doesn't belong on the field with the big boys.

So no, I will not chill out. I will take this very seriously. :sarcasm_off:

I'm thinking the same.

I hope things turn around.

toffee

Reaction score
I was excited when Penny was drafted, then came weight gain during off season, now showing NOTHING on field. Very disappointing.

Latest posts