Golden Tate signs with the Lions

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Laloosh":1y33cwkk said:
@davebirkett 4m
Tate said he's excited to be in a pass-first offense "especially coming from a run heavy offense that all the notoriety went to the defense"
That was what I said would sway him yesterday.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1qzi0nbh said:
MidwestHawker":1qzi0nbh said:
Seaswab":1qzi0nbh said:
Tate crying in his presser about the defense getting all the attention here. What a clown. Drop some more slants Golden.

Yeah he had quite the butterfingers here...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... receivers/

(^ Top 10 in lowest drop rate in 2012. Not sure about 2013, I can't find the numbers.)

If you're going to be petty, at least make intelligent petty posts.

You'll find that some folks are consistently petty and misinformed here.

Coping mechanisms are a funny thing. Especially on the internet.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2fd001kp said:
Yeah, if someone is upset about a guy leaving, after the claims he made, makes them a "hater"

Whatever, enjoy watching the playoffs on tv. Loved him as a player, but he's obviously fully of crap. He did the exact OPPOSITE of what he said.

Detroit? Hole
More money, ok, I'll take it........

We have no idea what, if anything, the Seahawks offered him. If you want to believe conjecture as fact then be my guest I suppose.

jkitsune

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2nmbt7pz said:
Seaswab":2nmbt7pz said:
Tate crying in his presser about the defense getting all the attention here. What a clown. Drop some more slants Golden.

Yeah he had quite the butterfingers here...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... receivers/

(^ Top 10 in lowest drop rate in 2012. Not sure about 2013, I can't find the numbers.)

If you're going to be petty, at least make intelligent petty posts.

It's like a bad breakup. People are going to have their raw, irrational emotions, and devaluing your ex protects you from feeling her loss.

Tate had some of the best hands in the game. Dropped what, one slant?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, but this is truly the first time I'm mad about one of the guys being lost.
Dude made a ton of plays for this team, I get it.

Oh well, next man up. He made his choice, stupid choice, but he's no longer a Hawk.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":196l5e9q said:
As much as we want big receivers, look for us to sign/draft more Tate clones . . . guys who can make limited receptions and turn them into big plays.

Golden didn't want that gig. Most receivers don't. I expect that as long as Pete is here, we'll see a revolving door at WR.
Good post. I agree.

Bruce Ellington, South Carolina :th2thumbs:
I posted about this guy in the draft forum as well. I like this receiver. He can come out of the backfield as well, return punts. Seems to fit the bill as a Tate clone. Dare I say... even better athleticism that can turn limited receptions into big plays. Not sure about his blocking, though.

I liked Golden Tate (even hoped the Hawks would draft him out of Notre Dame) and didn't think he was unnecessary on this roster. Thought he fit in perfectly. Sounds like he wants to see what he can do in more of a passing offense. Yeah, I agree with those who said it will be fun to watch him (hopefully torch) the Packers.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Its a pass happy offense, but I bet he doesn't top his stats from last year on the hawks.

cboom

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2w5ytc7z said:
Hey, he got his ring; now he wants cash and some Pro Bowls. If that's what he wants, good for him. I can't blame him. I wonder what I would choose in the same situation.

Exactly. He put himself in the perfect situation to rack up stats. He has always been a guy seeking attention and Seattle isn't the best place for him to do that.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
McGruff":1alh8qcr said:
MizzouHawkGal":1alh8qcr said:
McGruff":1alh8qcr said:
As much as we want big receivers, look for us to sign/draft more Tate clones . . . guys who can make limited receptions and turn them into big plays.

Golden didn't want that gig. Most receivers don't. I expect that as long as Pete is here, we'll see a revolving door at WR.
Now this is just ridiculous. We have constantly been trying to get that big receiver since 2010.

Aside from Rice, when have we invested significant capital in any of those big receivers?
We didn't have the chance to do so actually. And the availability of Percy Harvin is a once in a generation thing. Now combine this with the stacked draft and you have your answer about Tate.

kigenzun

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3dcvwiys said:
Anthony!":3dcvwiys said:
IF we did indeed offer him a 5 year 35 mil deal with 17 mil guaranteed, and he took a lesser deal, than the whole wanting stay was wrong. However given we do not throw the ball as much, and now he is in a throw first offense, he can get more opportunities and maybe more stats. Hard to argue. This is one of the reasons I am concerned about Rw. He will never be able to be great or considered great in our offense as is. SO he might look to leave to go to a more pass orientated team. Not to mention we have shown little drive to improve the offense beside Harvin. O-line sucks at pass blocking has for 2 years and we have not done much to improve that. Now we are down a WR and punt returner.
Come on it's obvious that we either offered him far less or nothing at all. It's Detroit think about that.

The 5/35 is probably a typo/misremembrance.
More likely we offered him 5/25 with 10mil guaranteed.

There is no way we offered more than 5mil per year.

Personally, I hope this leads to us collectively hearing very, very soon (within the next few days...) that we decided on paying Doug Baldwin instead.

RiverHawk

Reaction score
The team announced it has agreed to a five-year deal with wide receiver Golden Tate on Wednesday afternoon. Further terms were not disclosed, but Tate told ESPN's Josina Anderson the deal is for $31 million with $13.25 million guaranteed.

Thanks for the memories Golden, you will be missed.

Joey13091

Reaction score
We need to keep Doug and make him a seahawk for his whole career.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, he wasn't worth 6 mil, let alone 7 mil. As frustrating as it is to see him go, I'm glad the Hawks didn't pay 31 mil for him.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
I am curious as to why it was so imperative to sign a guy who amassed 8 catches in the playoffs? If you sign Tate, you can pretty much kiss Baldwin goodbye. Tate is not a difference maker because in our run happy offense he didn't catch the ball. If you want to argue his value, you could say he was an effective punt returner but he never did return one for a touchdown and that is because he lacks break away speed; elite or above average corners shut him down. Now he wants to cry about it in Detroit. Ok Golden, defenses will be looking for your a** now that the Lions have no running game so he will be a bigger factor in defensive game planning.

Maybe I am wrong but not one defensive team suggested the key to stopping the Seahawks was to contain Tate??

LeMec

Reaction score
Mixed feelings on this one. I have never been a big Tate fan. Although he was starting to grow on me over the last year or two with some of the big plays he made. I don't think it will be hard to find a FA or rookie that will be able to replace his production for less money than he will be making in Detroit. Assuming Baldwin sticks around I am not worried about loosing Tate.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Retweeted by Scott Enyeart
Pete Damilatis ‏@PFF_Pete 9m
Golden Tate has dropped 5 of 149 catchable passes in the last 3 seasons, lowest rate of any WR. Best hands in the NFL. #Lions

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Thanks Tate! Enjoyed the big plays but not worried one bit and was kinda hoping he'd get a deal somewhere else. I don't think it will be hard to replace his production in this offense. We need a big bodied WR and this opens up a spot for some heated competition in TC and we can lock up ADB long term now. Keeping Earl and Baldwin will help us on contract negotiations with Sherman in the long run.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kigenzun":2ksz8xrk said:
MizzouHawkGal":2ksz8xrk said:
Anthony!":2ksz8xrk said:
IF we did indeed offer him a 5 year 35 mil deal with 17 mil guaranteed, and he took a lesser deal, than the whole wanting stay was wrong. However given we do not throw the ball as much, and now he is in a throw first offense, he can get more opportunities and maybe more stats. Hard to argue. This is one of the reasons I am concerned about Rw. He will never be able to be great or considered great in our offense as is. SO he might look to leave to go to a more pass orientated team. Not to mention we have shown little drive to improve the offense beside Harvin. O-line sucks at pass blocking has for 2 years and we have not done much to improve that. Now we are down a WR and punt returner.
Come on it's obvious that we either offered him far less or nothing at all. It's Detroit think about that.

The 5/35 is probably a typo/misremembrance.
More likely we offered him 5/25 with 10mil guaranteed.

There is no way we offered more than 5mil per year.

Personally, I hope this leads to us collectively hearing we very, very soon (within the next few days...) that we decided on paying Doug Baldwin instead.
Again, get out of my brain!

jkitsune

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":6zgo39rf said:
I am curious as to why it was so imperative to sign a guy who amassed 8 catches in the playoffs? If you sign Tate, you can pretty much kiss Baldwin goodbye. Tate is not a difference maker because in our run happy offense he didn't catch the ball. If you want to argue his value, you could say he was an effective punt returner but he never did return one for a touchdown and that is because he lacks break away speed; elite or above average corners shut him down. Now he wants to cry about it in Detroit. Ok Golden, defenses will be looking for your a** now that the Lions have no running game so he will be a bigger factor in defensive game planning.

Maybe I am wrong but not one defensive team suggested the key to stopping the Seahawks was to contain Tate??

There's a lot of things that are wrong with this post, but this one stands out the most. This is such an unreasonably arbitrary way to determine someone's value as a punt returner. Nevermind that Tate had at least one TD called back by a phantom penalty this year, but his averages and multiple clutch, game-swinging returns in games against the Bears, Rams, and Buccaneers (off the top of my head) speak for themselves. He was legitimately elite at the job.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
McGruff":3gsgnk6v said:

Now this is just ridiculous. We have constantly been trying to get that big receiver since 2010.