Given Genos deal what do you want now?

Assume we have Richardson, Levi’s, and Carter at 5. Who do you want?

• Richardson

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • Levi’s

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Carter

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None of the above, trade down

Votes: 30 35.3%

• Total voters

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Definitely draft a QB, unless there's a QB that they really wanted in 2024. In that case, trade #5 for a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2024. In 2024, with two 1st and two 2nd, we can trade up to grab that QB.
Im not saying your wrong because Qb is a VERY important position. Do you think there is a possibility that lock could develope into a probowl QB for the future? I feel like he can. Im not saying the Hawks shouldn't draft a QB.... i just think if he didnt have that potential Carroll would not have him around. At this point you would think he has a good grasp of the O and just needs the opportunity to prove himself in this O. We will see what they do with him. It something nobody is thinking about.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I absolutely still want them to draft a QB with the fifth pick. With Geno’s career, it’s more likely than not that he will regress from last season, which this far is an outlier season in his career.

GemCity

Reaction score
I don’t see them drafting a QB with the 5th pick. We just signed our QB and picking another at 5 tells everyone we think Geno is a stop-gap. Hard to justify when there’s so many holes on defense.

I do think Richardson is going to be a baller. I’d pick him at 5 but, I’m convinced we’re steering clear of QBs this year. May not even happen in the next draft dependent upon how Geno plays.

With the recent smokescreen PC and JS threw out there about being in tune with the ‘23 draft QBs and Geno’s payday, the likelihood of us trading back just increased exponentially. There are teams who don’t want to miss out on this QB crop (not saying they will all pan out…but, Young, Stroud, Richardson, Levis, Hooker, etc. make this a fairly deep QB class).

Perhaps that gives us some more picks this year…maybe the next. I’ll be surprised if we pick at 5. I’ll be utterly shocked if we pick a QB at 5.

samwize77

Reaction score
Not saying I want this, I don't, but what if they trade back a few picks, get top OL/C with their 1rst round picks....rd 2 concentrate on DL/LB's?
In that scenario you protentionally have a very solid line in front of Geno/QB for years. Remember, you have Blythe gone now and you can drop jackson and save $ and still come out on top with less $ spent.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
1) Anderson
2) Carter
3) Trade Down

If none of those happen, I’d want them to take the one of Young, AR, Stroud that is still on the board. There is no other non-QB worthy of a Top 5 pick outside of Anderson/Carter.

If for no other reason, the QB you take at 5 is trade bait 2-3 years from now if Geno is so good you cant pass the torch. If Geno regresses or gets hurt, you have another option.

Given the extension I’d still want any combination of Anderson/Carter/Trade Down above QB, but still think Seattle should take best player on their board as opposed to pushing guys (which JS has claimed he’s done in the past and won’t do again.)

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Dangle the pick for a future 1st next year, trade down, and grab Bresee and Schmitz in round 1. Round 2, defense, defense. I would love Kancey, but I'm not sure he fits unless we do more traditional 4-man fronts.

The extra first-rounder next year can be used with our own pick to find our post-Geno QB. Maye, Daniels, or Williams.

Also, taking a stab at Bennett, Hall, or Bagent in this draft, if available late would be cool... they could hold a clipboard and study behind Geno.

I honestly love Levis and Stroud, and if they're only sitting for a year, I'd take one... if they're sitting through the length of a three-year Geno contract, I wouldn't waste the bulk of their rookie deals on the bench.

James in PA

Reaction score
If one of Richardson, Stroud, Young or Anderson is available I'm pulling the trigger.

If not, trade down with whoever wants Levis.
This. I'd add Carter to that list too. He's not going to jail and he'll still get drafted early.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I think they still have to go for a qb1 at 5. Trading down to get picks for next year doesn't guarantee we can get to the top 5 again, much less have a shot at the top two qb's next year. We are in prime position now. Strike while the iron is hot. We have enough draft capital to still address the defense. AR with a couple years of coaching could be the best qb in the NFL.. There are no guarantees with any pick. Why play it safe? You want a guy who can tilt the field? Here he is. Swing for the fences. I say go big or go home.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Carter is not going to jail

He is only charged with Misdemeanors
True this!

However, the reality of this reveals a dubious character cloud over the head of this player. Not because he was involved in this silly mischief but that he failed to reveal it and take some ownership over this awful situation during his early combine interviews. For this particular player there were questions about his character which has been revealed as something less than one would hope to see for his apparent high skill level.

Back when though, Warren Sapp had issues with weed prior to the draft and that didn’t affect him that much.

I answered Richardson (huge upside potential), but I’d be very happy with Levis or Stroud (likely gone as the first QB) for sure, and even Carter. I greatly doubt the team would get a sniff at Will Anderson.

I believe JS will get this right

HagFaithful

Reaction score
I think we trade back from #5, pick up some draft capital, and still get "our guy". It's been that way since 2010.

KinesProf

Reaction score
This. I'd add Carter to that list too. He's not going to jail and he'll still get drafted early.
Whether Carter goes to jail or not, you're likely right that he is not, really has no bearing on me not wanting the Seahawks to draft him. It shows poor, McDowell-esque decision making off the field, but he won't be available at a similar discounted range of the draft.

Does Carter love ball? He doesn't keep himself in great condition. Luke Wypler pretty much rendered him a non-factor in the semifinal. I'm concerned that he goes full Washington version of Haynesworth after getting some money.

Jeffrey Simmons and Chris Jones are big time DTs that also entered the draft with some concerns, but they became available at palatable spots in the draft that were worth the risk. If Carter drops far enough that the price becomes palatable I'd be interested; but the opportunity cost at 5 isn't worth the risk imo. If I'm gambling on talent I'd rather swing for the fences at QB.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If Levi's isn't available, then Jordache or that Wrangler kid look pretty good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think we trade back from #5, pick up some draft capital, and still get "our guy". It's been that way since 2010.

This.

Wilson seems like the perfect fit for the Hawks. So if I'm guessing, we try to trade back a spot or two with a team who wants Richardson or Levis and grab Wilson and another high pick this year or next.

The question will really be is there a team that wants to trade up to 5 if Stroud, Young and now Richardson are gone by 5?

Just cause you want to drop down doesn't mean you can find someone willing to do it if the player(s) they want are gone. Probably why John and Pete are REALLY leaning into the "OH MAN WE LOVE ALL THESE QB'S THIS YEAR!" narrative the past couple of weeks.

They desperately want the teams behind them to think they're fully committed to taking a QB.

Rat

Reaction score
Not when we've had picks in the top half of the first round (Okung, Earl, Irvin, Cross). I think they have a list of guys they like and then trade down if they're all gone by the 22-32 range we've typically been picking in.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This may not be the GMs decision.

Any person that has this much heat on them becomes a team owners decision.

Especially, at number 5.

I’m not sure if Carter will be drafted Top 10.

All the details have not been revealed to the public and yes they say misdemeanor for now but all of that can easily change overnight. I wouldn’t be surprised if Carter fell to the teens or 20s.

I like the ceiling that Richardson has. Yes, he’s not NFL ready yet but neither was Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson.

Definitely not saying he’s the next Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, or even Cam Newton but what’s to say that Richardson cannot develop under Carroll and watch Geno Smith for 2 years.

Wouldn’t be a bad plan to transition to Richardson. And Carroll has said that rookie QBs are now more able to play than they were 20 years ago.

And with Richardson’s talents, you could probably design an offense immediately for him to operate under.

All of this saying that Richardson’s completion rate is this and he’s only won this many games, etc. all that means nothing for how he will be under the guidance of Carroll.

This guy is an athletic freak!

If his passing further develops he can be a star. Very similar to Jalen Hurts. It took Hurts only two years and this guy has grown considerably.

Why not take a chance at Richardson?
It's not just the guidance of Pete Carroll, there's also Greg Olsen & Shane Waldron who could offer up a lot of influence on Richardson's growth should he get Drafted by the Seahawks, but I'm not so sure that he's going to be there at #5.

eo620

Reaction score
I hate the idea of taking a QB at #5. I think the focus needs to be on D. Bulk up defense on picks 5 & 20. If you like a QB after that, fine. If not, wait til next year. At worst case scenario, the FA QB carousel has been spinning like crazy for the last two years. We can see what falls off or draft a QB in '24

GemCity

Reaction score
I don’t see them drafting a QB with the 5th pick. We just signed our QB and picking another at 5 tells everyone we think Geno is a stop-gap. Hard to justify when there’s so many holes on defense.

I do think Richardson is going to be a baller. I’d pick him at 5 but, I’m convinced we’re steering clear of QBs this year. May not even happen in the next draft dependent upon how Geno plays.

With the recent smokescreen PC and JS threw out there about being in tune with the ‘23 draft QBs and Geno’s payday, the likelihood of us trading back just increased exponentially. There are teams who don’t want to miss out on this QB crop (not saying they will all pan out…but, Young, Stroud, Richardson, Levis, Hooker, etc. make this a fairly deep QB class).

Perhaps that gives us some more picks this year…maybe the next. I’ll be surprised if we pick at 5. I’ll be utterly shocked if we pick a QB at 5.
I wouldn’t be surprised anymore. Once Geno’s contract details were released, it makes “some” sense.

I’m not going to be disappointed either way. After last years draft, I don’t think anyone could handle the capital we have better than JS and PC.

Definitely anxious though!