Getting away from "basic" football defense.

daveCFPrez

Reaction score
I've been saying it ALL season - why don't our DBs turn and LOOK FOR THE BALL when the receiver they're covering turns and looks?!?!?!?!? This is taught as the first most basic skills for all DBs.

This year when our DBs turn and look for the ball is the minority of the time.

Out of position? Too confident? Too lazy?

This could have saved us a ton of penalty yards so far.

Lets get back to the basic building blocks guys!

justafan

Reaction score
daveCFPrez":ytu53uhr said:
I've been saying it ALL season - why don't our DBs turn and LOOK FOR THE BALL when the receiver they're covering turns and looks?!?!?!?!? This is taught as the first most basic skills for all DBs.

This year when our DBs turn and look for the ball is the minority of the time.

Out of position? Too confident? Too lazy?

This could have saved us a ton of penalty yards so far.

Lets get back to the basic building blocks guys!

I get what you are saying and some plays are frustrating. On that play it hit him in the back of the head he was burned badly. If that was a good throw it would have been a TD I think. He threw it short and Diggs made that PI happen. I bet its hard to look back when you are burned that bad and hoping to get back in the play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It drives me crazy too, but if you read or listen to how DB's are coached up and developed it makes more sense.

DB's at every level are taught to follow the receiver and then look for cues, i.e. hands going up, receiver's eyes getting wide, body turning to block out, etc.

So it's VERY difficult when a ball's underthrown for a DB to get out of the way of the receiver...........because if they turn around too early in the route (as Rhodes did on Moore's TD), then they lose the WR.

Same with KJ covering Rudolph for his TD. LB's are taught the same thing, back to QB and stick to your man like glue. Hard to stop, because again if you turn around too early in the route you lose your man.

sutz

Reaction score
Because Steve Largent. :laugh:

WR's turn around to look for the ball all the time. Sometimes it's a fake, and if the DB turns, too, the WR can break off the route and get free.

chris98251

Reaction score
Why a great back peddle is great to have you don't have to turn as soon, secondly home work know the routes guys don't run mostly and then looking at tells from how he sets up to get a catch.

minormillikin

Reaction score
And here's another tip: When you think you might get called for PI, don't throw your arms up trying to say you didn't do anything wrong.

If the ref was unsure about throwing a flag and the defender says "not me! Not me!" that decides it for the ref. He's throwing a flag.

Latest posts