George Fant to RT

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Considering he was undrafted and changed positions, that would be a damn nice accomplishment. But, undrafted players making the pro bowl and/or contributing is pretty common under Pete. Fingers crossed you're right.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":39f4ajg5 said:
JPC4Days":39f4ajg5 said:
pushed around? He would have a hiccup now and then but you seriously didn't see what got the people here and on the coaching staff excited? A blood and guts power foward turned left tackle... long arms, feet of a basketball player, surprising strength, hand eye coordination, fluidity and most important the desire and determination to succeed.... yah screw that guy... cut em... what a waste of the coaches developmental time.

Do you remember the 34-31 Arizona loss at home two years ago? Fant was solely responsible for three out of Wilson's five sacks in the first half. He was also responsible for the sack early in the year where Wilson allegedly tore his pec. The tools are there, but the technique and knowledge is severely underdeveloped. He was really, really bad at being assignment correct.

Maybe Solari will work something great out of him. Cable was never going to. But he has a lot to prove, and that doesn't change just because he was an outside-the-box pick.

I mean it would be better if you had film of what you are talking about.... but yah I guess two years ago in his rookie year ... in his first time playing football since pee wee ... at the highest level in the World... he had a bad game. That doesn't seem too hard to believe... so I will take your word for it.

It is not like I have not seen bad plays from him... I have but I have also noticed improvement and so have all the football people that work for the Seahawks. I just wonder if he has to play perfect for some people to acknowledge the talent... like if Fant would have been the one to give up that sack to Tom Brady in the Super Bowl ... somebody would be like ... see I told all of you.

Even though he had so many more clean play's... look you don't see it ... that's fine ... I do ... the Seahawks do... I just disagree with you and as far as working hard to get better at his craft ... he is doing that right now. Look at it this way, I would rather have a George Fant on the roster developing than not... we just disagree with each other ... it happens all the time, we will see how it plays out.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JPC4Days":suw9149c said:
Even though he had so many more clean play's...

He really didn't. If you didn't watch his play carefully and see the constant errors over the season, you're in disagreement with most analysts, like this guy:

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/12/8/13 ... -breakdown

That breaks down one of his better games. It came before the Arizona game I mentioned and also references the Dec. 1 contest against Tampa negatively as well. As in, "disastrous".

Fant is a classic Cable pick. Raw strength and athleticism, a hunk of rubber for football brains. If you can develop him, you've got a top-tier NFL lineman. Sounds great in theory, but I'll let you figure out how well that worked for all the other Cable projects we've tried - Odhiambo, Ifedi, Glowinski. Same profile, same result.

Of course he's doing well for a guy who never played starting football since junior high. That doesn't change the fact that Russell Wilson needs more than that. He needs an NFL-caliber protector. Why do all the fans who worry for Wilson's life behind that line, and trash Pete and John for using first-round draft picks on ANYTHING other than offensive linemen, suddenly give Fant a pass because he didn't play starting football since junior high? It is the weirdest thing.

I'm not ruling him out. I am saying he hasn't earned squat, and I don't want Wilson standing behind him unless 2018 is a massive development step forward for him. His work ethic and intensity, and the presence of Mike Solari, do bode somewhat well for this possibility.

adeltaY

Reaction score
We switch Fant to RT then trade him for Lane Johnson. The league will never see it coming. :stirthepot:

JPC4Days

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":280f3t6i said:
JPC4Days":280f3t6i said:

He really didn't. If you didn't watch his play carefully and see the constant errors over the season, you're in disagreement with most analysts, like this guy:

That breaks down one of his better games. It came before the Arizona game I mentioned and also references the Dec. 1 contest against Tampa negatively as well. As in, "disastrous".

Fant is a classic Cable pick. Raw strength and athleticism, a hunk of rubber for football brains. If you can develop him, you've got a top-tier NFL lineman. Sounds great in theory, but I'll let you figure out how well that worked for all the other Cable projects we've tried - Odhiambo, Ifedi, Glowinski. Same profile, same result.

Of course he's doing well for a guy who never played starting football since junior high. That doesn't change the fact that Russell Wilson needs more than that. He needs an NFL-caliber protector. Why do all the fans who worry for Wilson's life behind that line, and trash Pete and John for using first-round draft picks on ANYTHING other than offensive linemen, suddenly give Fant a pass because he didn't play starting football since junior high? It is the weirdest thing.

I'm not ruling him out. I am saying he hasn't earned squat, and I don't want Wilson standing behind him unless 2018 is a massive development step forward for him. His work ethic and intensity, and the presence of Mike Solari, do bode somewhat well for this possibility.

Yes I do disagree with that guy on you... maybe not on the specific plays but in what it means... and he never had a clean play ... did you really just write that?

Also do you think I want him starting if he is not the best option? You think I want him to start because he is an out of the box idea? I want the best five out there run blocking and protecting RW. It is like Madden though all the ratings are super high except experience and skill....the ratings for work ethic and willingness to learn are even super high.... like don't you want that guy on your roster?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Hey, apparently Fant was doing a great job against Everson Griffen early on in the game where he got hurt... although that was preseason.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JPC4Days":2gk2awki said:
MontanaHawk05":2gk2awki said:
JPC4Days":2gk2awki said:

Yes I do disagree with that guy on you... maybe not on the specific plays but in what it means... and he never had a clean play ... did you really just write that?

No, I didn't. I disagreed on your assertion that he had so many more clean plays. Consistency seems to be the issue here.

Since 75% of your posts up to this point have been about Fant, I should probably say that if you ARE George Fant, I've got nothing against you. I hope you succeed - you've got crazy tools and I respect how hard you've worked.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":6fl84u5t said:
JPC4Days":6fl84u5t said:
MontanaHawk05":6fl84u5t said:
JPC4Days":6fl84u5t said:

No, I didn't. I disagreed on your assertion that he had so many more clean plays. Consistency seems to be the issue here.

Since 75% of your posts up to this point have been about Fant, I should probably say that if you ARE George Fant, I've got nothing against you. I hope you succeed - you've got crazy tools and I respect how hard you've worked.

I rewatch games ... I might not be an "expert" "analyst" but at least I can admit that I don't have all the play information. Like the aiming points the assignment etc... all I watch for is hat on hat and the ability to sustain a block. George Fant does this better than rees odhiambo and a lot of the other tackles on the roster. Watching Duanne Brown although even he is not perfect was a breath of fresh air.... meaning this line had a way to go last year. I do however believe that just because the games are not on the t.v. these dudes don't just sit on there asses. There are plenty of players that take a couple of years to get there feet under themselves in the league. I am not be an optimistic homer ... I am being honest... it doesn't always happen that an offensive lineman comes into the league and dominants from the first rookie mini camp like Hutch or Big Walt. Sometimes yes it takes these dudes a couple of season's AND offseason's to get it going.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
JPC4Days":18gh0alx said:
MontanaHawk05":18gh0alx said:
JPC4Days":18gh0alx said:
MontanaHawk05":18gh0alx said:

I rewatch games ... I might not be an "expert" "analyst" but at least I can admit that I don't have all the play information. Like the aiming points the assignment etc... all I watch for is hat on hat and the ability to sustain a block. George Fant does this better than rees odhiambo and a lot of the other tackles on the roster. Watching Duanne Brown although even he is not perfect was a breath of fresh air.... meaning this line had a way to go last year. I do however believe that just because the games are not on the t.v. these dudes don't just sit on there asses. There are plenty of players that take a couple of years to get there feet under themselves in the league. I am not be an optimistic homer ... I am being honest... it doesn't always happen that an offensive lineman comes into the league and dominants from the first rookie mini camp like Hutch or Big Walt. Sometimes yes it takes these dudes a couple of season's AND offseason's to get it going.

you want to turn this sideway's? let's go man... but like what's your deal .. what's your point?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
penihawk":3o63o2a8 said:
I'm pretty sure Ifedi will play himself into his most obvious natural position at some point this year, backup on the bench. If I'm correct about that ,how does the line look with Ifedi's name not in the lineup?

Better?

Fade

Reaction score
I know it maybe boring for some, but the team is going to want to maintain continuity by returning 4 of 5 starters into the lineup.

Ifedi is going to have to absolutely play beyond bad. I wouldn't put it past him, but still. They are going to give their 1st rd pick that will now finally be given proper coaching the benefit of the doubt.

Moving Fant to RT is speaking more about Jamarco Jones, and his long term prospects as a starting LT. They want him to get all the #2 reps at LT. So Fant has to move if he wants to keep his roster spot, and get reps himself.

If all players remain healthy.

LT Brown -- LG Pocic -- C Britt -- RG Fluker -- RT Ifedi

Key Reserves
G Roos
T Fant
T Jones

I would love for Fant to win the RT job, but I'm just being realistic here.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
At the end of the day ... I want the best five, I don't have a dog in the hunt and I just want it to work, to be honest. I do not feel like I win a prize if Ifedi is a bust at right tackle...

I honestly feel it comes down to who has it clicked for over the off season. Has the light bulb turned on for three of these dudes....did they have a moment when they learned juggling Albanian midgets while hoping on a pogo stick would help bring it all together on the football field.

I feel all these guys have enough talent but do we have three guys that have turned the corner for whatever reason over the off season and are ready to step up to the plate with Britt and Brown... I really could care less who it is as long as we have three that did not make the best five by default.... maybe a big hope but keep hope alive.

Like when Byron Maxwell followed Earl around all off season and came into training camp balling... that sort of thing ...where we are like wow ... so that is what it looks like when potential is realized.

chris98251

Reaction score
There are tow things that everyone needs to consider.

1) Everything we know about these guys is based on what Cable told Pete about them, how the play, where they are but in his blocking system and Bevells and his Offense.

Throw that out the window.

2) Solari has to evaluate all of them based on how they pick up his system and Schottys offense.

Whom we were TOLD was good and who Solari actually see's as good in our new system may not be the same. Remember the first thing we did when Cable got here was trade Sims to Detroit where he made the Pro Bowl etc because they said he was not athletic enough to play in the League or for us.

Clayfighter

Reaction score
Fade":349ied4c said:
I know it maybe boring for some, but the team is going to want to maintain continuity by returning 4 of 5 starters into the lineup.

Ifedi is going to have to absolutely play beyond bad. I wouldn't put it past him, but still. They are going to give their 1st rd pick that will now finally be given proper coaching the benefit of the doubt.

Moving Fant to RT is speaking more about Jamarco Jones, and his long term prospects as a starting LT. They want him to get all the #2 reps at LT. So Fant has to move if he wants to keep his roster spot, and get reps himself.

If all players remain healthy.

LT Brown -- LG Pocic -- C Britt -- RG Fluker -- RT Ifedi

Key Reserves
G Roos
T Fant
T Jones

I would love for Fant to win the RT job, but I'm just being realistic here.

I agree with your entire post. One of the biggest issues that the line has struggled with is continuity.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Based on size and athleticism, on paper, the Seahawks have a prototypical NFL offensive line. I believe that the running game problems can be hung 100% on Cable. If these guys can be coached up we will be back to the top of the league in rushing. If not, I'm completely wrong and the entire line needs to be gutted.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JPC4Days":c0j34dah said:
it doesn't always happen that an offensive lineman comes into the league and dominants from the first rookie mini camp like Hutch or Big Walt. Sometimes yes it takes these dudes a couple of season's AND offseason's to get it going.

That is the single most frequent excuse given for bad play. I'm well aware that he should rightfully get a rookie pass. But most Fant fans are proclaiming him the winner of the Fant-Ifedi battle already.

And no, I'm not trying to start stuff, actually. Players do read this board. Rumor has it that one guy even started arguing with everyone who criticized his play.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":35704oxz said:
JPC4Days":35704oxz said:
it doesn't always happen that an offensive lineman comes into the league and dominants from the first rookie mini camp like Hutch or Big Walt. Sometimes yes it takes these dudes a couple of season's AND offseason's to get it going.

That is the single most frequent excuse given for bad play. I'm well aware that he should rightfully get a rookie pass. But most Fant fans are proclaiming him the winner of the Fant-Ifedi battle already.

And no, I'm not trying to start stuff, actually. Players do read this board. Rumor has it that one guy even started arguing with everyone who criticized his play.

His play or his coaching ability?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2mgr7da9 said:
MontanaHawk05":2mgr7da9 said:
This is your annual reminder that throwing two subpar players at a position does not guarantee a starting-quality result.

Unfortunately, this is true and why they probably should have signed or drafted a starter-caliber RT. Now you've got to make the best of what you've got.

I still feel that Fluker is the best (and most experienced) RT on the roster at present. And Fant has the potential to be an adequate backup, while he learns the positions and rebounds from off-season surgery.

And what leads you to believe there was any to be had? This was an extremely weak Tackle class, The strength was all in guards and centers this year. We didn't have a 2nd round pick. I don't think reaching and drafting for need was the answer.

We already know LT and Center will be solid. Pocic was starting to play well by the end of the year, He's added strength and weight so I see no reason why he can't be a solid option at LG.

That just leads the right side. From some of the commentary I've heard is that Ifedi was asked to retreat in pass protection instead of attacking -- So there is some belief with Solari that it will play more to Ifedi's strength. I'm interested to see how that all plays out.

I'm optimistic that Ifedi (much like Britt-- (who everyone condemned his 1st 2 years here)) will make significant strides in year 3 and become at least a serviceable starter.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2wo7g076 said:
hawknation2018":2wo7g076 said:
MontanaHawk05":2wo7g076 said:
This is your annual reminder that throwing two subpar players at a position does not guarantee a starting-quality result.

Unfortunately, this is true and why they probably should have signed or drafted a starter-caliber RT. Now you've got to make the best of what you've got.

I still feel that Fluker is the best (and most experienced) RT on the roster at present. And Fant has the potential to be an adequate backup, while he learns the positions and rebounds from off-season surgery.

And what leads you to believe there was any to be had? This was an extremely weak Tackle class, The strength was all in guards and centers this year. We didn't have a 2nd round pick. I don't think reaching and drafting for need was the answer.

We already know LT and Center will be solid. Pocic was starting to play well by the end of the year, He's added strength and weight so I see no reason why he can't be a solid option at LG.

That just leads the right side. From some of the commentary I've heard is that Ifedi was asked to retreat in pass protection instead of attacking -- So there is some belief with Solari that it will play more to Ifedi's strength. I'm interested to see how that all plays out.

I'm optimistic that Ifedi (much like Britt-- (who everyone condemned his 1st 2 years here)) will make significant strides in year 3 and become at least a serviceable starter.

Last year, it was Ryan Ramczyk (drafted by the Saints). This year, it was Connor Williams (drafted by the Cowboys).

The top veteran RT, Cameron Fleming, signed in free agency for 1 year, $2.5 million.

Not sure why anyone would be optimistic about Ifedi at RT, but to each his own.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
JPC4Days":2p9jgbon said:
pushed around? He would have a hiccup now and then but you seriously didn't see what got the people here and on the coaching staff excited? A blood and guts power foward turned left tackle... long arms, feet of a basketball player, surprising strength, hand eye coordination, fluidity and most important the desire and determination to succeed.... yah screw that guy... cut em... what a waste of the coaches developmental time.

A hiccup now and then? Lol. Fant was always getting abused. He may have been worse than Ifedi and thats saying something. Its even money if he even makes the team. I'm one of the ones that doesnt understand the love for this guy either.

Latest posts