George Fant to RT

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
hawk45":1zufzy8f said:
This thread took an entertaining turn when Montana floated the idea that some posters might just be George Fant in disguise, which I'm not gonna lie occurred to me also (in jest).

But Popcorn aside I come down squarely with Montana: Fant got abused his rookie season (excusable for a rookie but it's fact), any idea that he will progress linearly is straight speculation, he's coming off of an injury, so it is a bit out-there to think we could throw a position change on top of all of this and see it as anything but a LONG long shot that he is any kind of answer at RT this year.

Ifedi is bad you say? Sure, but Ifedi didn't transition from power forward prior to this; he played this EXACT position in college. On an actual football team and everything. So even if Ifedi lacks some lateral agility Fant possesses, Ifedi is equally - I would say much MORE than equally but I won't try and force my opinion on others - that Ifedi's progress at the position he played LAST YEAR puts him further up the road to serviceability than Fant's progress at a position he hasn't even officially been moved to yet after a year of injury.

Just my opinion, but anyone who discusses Fant at RT at this moment without serious and crippling caveats sprinkled liberally throughout their post deserves any stink-eye they get.

It may work! But as others have observed, Fant's story and the fact that he's come this far from basketball player have led some to erroneously project linear progress to a good option at tackle in the NFL, and that projection has very questionable provenance.

Is more equally what? Servicable?

I don't believe a purely linear progression is feasible by anyone in this situation, simply because Fant started at zero...but let me ask you this...if you start at (0,0) (grade, year) and project a line through a point from there to (25, 1)...do you have a steeper trajectory than you would if you started the line at (15,0)? You sure as hell do. The relative trajectory is what has people excited. The relative amount of progress he made is very exciting. I don't really consider that "questionable provenance".

Do you believe Fant has reached his ceiling? What kind of growth/progression would YOU project? Evidently not linear...so then maybe exponential? Hyperbolic? Is he even going to get better at all? How do you know?

If making projections was easy, then drafting players would be straightforward. But we're dealing with humans, not robots. Nobody knows what the future holds for ol' George Fant...but if you believe in development AT ALL, then he has to excite you no matter where he plays.

Seymour

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":x2cukevh said:
.....The relative trajectory is what has people excited. The relative amount of progress he made is very exciting. I don't really consider that "questionable provenance". ......

Exactly....great post and YOU sir get it! It's not just about where he is NOW, it's about what he has accomplished in a VERY short period of time and his ceiling that has the interest of those pulling for him....me included! :2thumbs:

Also to be clear, I think moving him (especially to the opposite side!) is a really bad idea and could well serve him the fatal blow. :141847_bnono:

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":2j1o5xd4 said:
LoneHawkFan":2j1o5xd4 said:
.....The relative trajectory is what has people excited. The relative amount of progress he made is very exciting. I don't really consider that "questionable provenance". ......

Exactly....great post and YOU sir get it! It's not just about where he is NOW, it's about what he has accomplished in a VERY short period of time and his ceiling that has the interest of those pulling for him....me included! :2thumbs:

Also to be clear, I think moving him (especially to the opposite side!) is a really bad idea and could well serve him the fatal blow. :141847_bnono:

So we have our pro bowl LT, Jones who played LT in college and Fant, who only played LT as a linemen. All LTs, no one truly to challenge our problem child aka Ifeldi on the right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I think Ifedi is going to eventually pan out. Lets save this post for later.

Don't @ me bevilisthedevil he just needed proper coaching!

Seymour

Reaction score
toffee":ejz60u86 said:
Seymour":ejz60u86 said:
LoneHawkFan":ejz60u86 said:

So we have our pro bowl LT, Jones who played LT in college and Fant, who only played LT as a linemen. All LTs, no one truly to challenge our problem child aka Ifeldi on the right side.

If Fant is a candidate at RT, then why wouldn't Jones be too? Given he has far more FOOTBALL experience to begin with, one would think he would be the path of least resistance / most experience??

original poster

Reaction score
Seymour":17sa46yy said:
toffee":17sa46yy said:
Seymour":17sa46yy said:
LoneHawkFan":17sa46yy said:

If Fant is a candidate at RT, then why wouldn't Jones be too? Given he has far more FOOTBALL experience to begin with, one would think he would be the path of least resistance / most experience??

Agreed.

It would be foolish to not try them both at RT.

The loser can still back up Brown at LT.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Can Pocic play tackle? I mean he doesn't seem to be a world-beater in the athleticism department, but if anything I remember him being solid. I would take solid and fundamentally sound at RT with road graders like Ifedi and Fluker inside at guard.

toffee

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2gqj87fy said:
Can Pocic play tackle? I mean he doesn't seem to be a world-beater in the athleticism department, but if anything I remember him being solid. I would take solid and fundamentally sound at RT with road graders like Ifedi and Fluker inside at guard.

Haha Pocic, Fant or even Jones at RT, then we have Fluker and Ifeldi at guards. With two road graders, may be our backs will have highway to run

Fade

Reaction score
bbsplitter":bkpnx091 said:

Pocic looked awful at Tackle last preseason. He looked amazing, and natural at Center. He looked okay at Guard. He cannot play Tackle at the NFL level, he is an interior lineman.

The clock is ticking on Britt. If he gets hurt, or has a bad stretch of play, Pocic will swoop in and take his spot. Which is good, it keeps the pressure on Britt to perform, he cannot afford to get complacent after signing his deal.

Again I know it is boring to roll Ifedi out there at RT, but it is his job to lose. He will have to be really, really, really bad.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":jbxdnamc said:
bbsplitter":jbxdnamc said:

Pocic looked awful at Tackle last preseason. He looked amazing, and natural at Center. He looked okay at Guard. He cannot play Tackle at the NFL level, he is an interior lineman.

The clock is ticking on Britt. If he gets hurt, or has a bad stretch of play, Pocic will swoop in and take his spot. Which is good, it keeps the pressure on Britt to perform, he cannot afford to get complacent after signing his deal.

Again I know it is boring to roll Ifedi out there at RT, but it is his job to lose. He will have to be really, really, really bad.

"Boring" is not the adjective I would use to descrbe Ifedi at RT. Terrifying, topsy-turvy, foolhardy are more like it.

I agree on Pocic, though. Center is clearly his best position.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1rigmsxx said:
Fade":1rigmsxx said:
bbsplitter":1rigmsxx said:

"Boring" is not the adjective I would use to descrbe Ifedi at RT. Terrifying, topsy-turvy, foolhardy are more like it.

In context to my original post in this thread. Boring is refering to rolling out the same projected starters. Fans always want to shuffle the deck.

Brown, Joeckel, Britt, Pocic, Ifedi. All that that will likely happen is a swap out of Joeckel for Fluker into the lineup.

toffee

Reaction score
Fade":2ipk9b4u said:
hawknation2018":2ipk9b4u said:
Fade":2ipk9b4u said:
bbsplitter":2ipk9b4u said:

In context to my original post in this thread. Boring is refering to rolling out the same projected starters. Fans always want to shuffle the deck.

Brown, Joeckel, Britt, Pocic, Ifedi. All that that will likely happen is a swap out of Joeckel for Fluker into the lineup.
sounded underwhelming for sure

12forlife

Reaction score
LT - Brown / Fant
LG - Jones / Pocic / Roos
C - Britt
RG - Fluker / Obi
RT - Ifedi / Fant

toffee

Reaction score
12forlife":3dehljnt said:
LT - Brown / Fant
C - Britt
RG - Fluker / Obi
RT - Ifedi / Fant

LT - Brown / Fant
LG - Jones / Roos
C - Britt / Pocic
RG - Fluker / Obi
RT - Ifedi / Fant

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
toffee":1409s2xr said:
12forlife":1409s2xr said:
LT - Brown / Fant
C - Britt
RG - Fluker / Obi
RT - Ifedi / Fant

LT - Brown / Fant
LG - Jones / Roos
C - Britt / Pocic
RG - Fluker / Obi
RT - Ifedi / Fant

Rees Ohdiambo hasn’t shown comfort playing on the right side. Without that versatility, he could be competing with the rookie, Jones, for a roster spot. Roos can play guard on either side of the line.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Don't see Fant unseating Ifedi right off the bat, but it would be great if Fant could back up both left and right tackle this season.

toffee

Reaction score
Mojambo":3kcyp2et said:
Don't see Fant unseating Ifedi right off the bat, but it would be great if Fant could back up both left and right tackle this season.

I agree, quite sure the first thing Solari did was a thorough evaluation of our OL players. He must have given Pete some assurance that Ifeldi would be ok. Otherwise it would be unthinkable why John didn’t focus on OL in free agents and draft.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Best part about this thread is that it all alludes to the fact that we have come a long way since May 2016. Theoretically, anyway. If we’re in the middle third of OL quality, we should be able to put up some good numbers and sustained drives w Russ and Penny in the backfield.

Latest posts