George Fant to RT

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":1ikw6xzz said:
Moving Fant who just learned football to the other side is about the most dumb ass idea I can think of. :roll: :141847_bnono:

1b7623978b3eaa358e92b9b25a882d3e

This came from Schneider's statement that Fant could play RT. Fant learned LT on the fly in just a few short months. Learning RT, with an entire off-season and having already had NFL starting experience, should actually be less difficult. Training Fant at RT is not the problem. I just would not expect him to be ready to start Game 1, especially coming off the injury. We'll see how it plays out.

sutz

Reaction score
Remember also that we drafted a blocking tight end who, even if he doesn't start will provide competition at the spot and the winner should help the RT position immensely. ;)

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1jpqdvuz said:
This is your annual reminder that throwing two subpar players at a position does not guarantee a starting-quality result.

Unfortunately, this is true and why they probably should have signed or drafted a starter-caliber RT. Now you've got to make the best of what you've got.

I still feel that Fluker is the best (and most experienced) RT on the roster at present. And Fant has the potential to be an adequate backup, while he learns the positions and rebounds from off-season surgery.

Seymour

Reaction score
sutz":h6o0t74v said:
Remember also that we drafted a blocking tight end who, even if he doesn't start will provide competition at the spot and the winner should help the RT position immensely. ;)

Fair point, but also keep in mind we drafted a blocking TE 2 years prior considerably higher in the draft (3rd round) in Nick Vannett, and that has so far been proven a failure.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
maybe Im wrong but I thought I heard that they were moving ifedi to guard, his natural position and that it was already decided.

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":174lydai said:
penihawk":174lydai said:
I'm pretty sure Ifedi will play himself into his most obvious natural position at some point this year, backup on the bench. If I'm correct about that ,how does the line look with Ifedi's name not in the lineup?

;)

LT Brown, Jones
LG Pocic, Roos
C Brit, Pocic
RG Fluker, Ifedi
RT Fant, Ifedi

LT Brown, Jones
LG Roos, Ohiambo
C Brit, Pocic
RG Fluker, Ifedi
RT Fant, Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrispy

Reaction score
...trying not to think about the Rams DLine as I read this thread....

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I will never understand the .net love affair with George Fant. Nothing personal against the guy, but he was a Cable Conversion Project and probably doesn't even make the team this year.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":pap7kuf7 said:
Yeah, what has Fant ever done?

Worked his ass off, did everything asked, started as a rookie fresh from the basketball court and did so under Fable... plus deserved his shot for starters?
Fant has gained 70 pounds in less than two years. He says he’s up to 320 pounds now, “321, something like that,” he said. That’s 24 more than the team’s listed weight for him, about that much more than the former Western Kentucky power forward weighed at the start of this offseason in January.

OK, so now he’s bigger. Is he better than he was in his understandably rocky debut season?

That’s where Jones comes in.

The Seahawks Hall-of-Fame left tackle from a decade ago comes around the team from time to time, including for preseason workshops with players. At one of those drop-ins last year, in the middle of the 2016 season, Fant went up to Jones and asked for advice on how to play not only what was a new position for him, but a new sport.

What ice breaker did the undrafted rookie college basketball player use to approach one of the best left tackle in the history of the game?

“Me being the undrafted rookie and the new guy in the system, I was just like, swallow your pride and go ask this great legacy person, ‘What do you see, what do you think?’” Fant said. “So that’s what I did.

“Just taking what he says and soaking it in, adding it to my game. It’s a lot of things.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sport...s/seahawks-insider-blog/article154944139.html

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely he worked his butt off, but on the field, in games, he has very little experience. It's not his fault he got injured, but he was getting pushed around quite a bit when he was in there. Just seems like a major assumption that he's a starting caliber Tackle. I look forward to being very wrong out him.

Seymour

Reaction score
The better question is what exactly has Ifedi done as a first round pick?? He was a 1st round pick vs an undrafted FA basketball player, that people are excited to replace Ifedi with?? :pukeface:

JPC4Days

Reaction score
pushed around? He would have a hiccup now and then but you seriously didn't see what got the people here and on the coaching staff excited? A blood and guts power foward turned left tackle... long arms, feet of a basketball player, surprising strength, hand eye coordination, fluidity and most important the desire and determination to succeed.... yah screw that guy... cut em... what a waste of the coaches developmental time.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nobody said cut him. I'm just not sold on him YET. I hope to very wrong, it would mean good things for the team.
It is ok to have opinions on a player, god forbid someone doesn't gush over a player.
Hugh Millen talked about him being pushed around as well.
I hope he tears it up, being wrong rocks.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3srcxuwl said:
Nobody said cut him. I'm just not sold on him YET. I hope to very wrong, it would mean good things for the team.
It is ok to have opinions on a player. Hugh Millen talked about him being pushed around as well.
I hope he tears it up, being wrong rocks.

I think people in general are mad about the O Line and have every right to be mad about it. However I believe hating on every conversion project .... (I am not saying you) is not the answer.

I don't want to go back to the day's of Tim Ruskell, where the guy needed to be a team captain out of the SEC or he didn't get a sniff. I like the out of the box thinking from PC and JS and yes at times it goes to far and is not productive.

I feel that they made an adjustment and are not going to be so out of the box and toe the line a bit more... as long as they keep a little bit of that out of the box thinking .... because it creates opportunity to find market inefficiencies.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just really looking forward to seeing what Solari can do. They have needed a change for a long time. As much as I love PC, he was a little too loyal to his assistants imo. Oh well, he took care of it.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":14s0be1n said:
Just really looking forward to seeing what Solari can do. They have needed a change for a long time. As much as I love PC, he was a little too loyal to his assistants imo. Oh well, he took care of it.

Preach... hate the moves love the moves, just make it happen already. I think that is a healthy attitude for all of us to take... we have enjoyed all the fun stories... now we want to see it manifest on the field.

I agree with you on Solari ... sounds like he is a little man a little zone ... very capable of coaching these dudes up. Do we have enough talent? Do we have enough experience? I tend to fall into the optimistic camp a bit but I am firmly in the #ShowMe camp more than anything. Too many wasted opportunities with the old roster... and now the division is more talented than it has ever been. Do I still believe? Yes, but I agree brother #ShowMe already.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JPC4Days":324w1gf1 said:
pushed around? He would have a hiccup now and then but you seriously didn't see what got the people here and on the coaching staff excited? A blood and guts power foward turned left tackle... long arms, feet of a basketball player, surprising strength, hand eye coordination, fluidity and most important the desire and determination to succeed.... yah screw that guy... cut em... what a waste of the coaches developmental time.

Do you remember the 34-31 Arizona loss at home two years ago? Fant was solely responsible for three out of Wilson's five sacks in the first half. He was also responsible for the sack early in the year where Wilson allegedly tore his pec. The tools are there, but the technique and knowledge is severely underdeveloped. He was really, really bad at being assignment correct.

Maybe Solari will work something great out of him. Cable was never going to. But he has a lot to prove, and that doesn't change just because he was an outside-the-box pick.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
I am looking forward to George Fant making his first Pro Bowl this year as an alternate.

I think I was the only one to adopt him in the adopt-a-Rookie thread at a time few thought he would even make the roster.

I believe in George Fant. By November, everyone on this Board will too. :stirthepot: