Geno Trade Value?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think a 2nd round pick for Geno is possible. The Steelers and the Falcons (owner) want a veteran starting QB. Geno would be the best veteran QB of the available free agent QBs or QBs that are on the trade market. JS would have to play the Steelers and Falcons off eachother. I think the Falcons, would pay up by giving us a 2nd round pick, although we would have to take on some of the Geno money to make it work. This would also be attractive to Geno as well, because of the weapons on offense he would have on his new team.

The Falcons could then use the #8 pick on WR Rome Odunze.

What is the upside for the Steelers or Falcons wanting Geno Smith? Even if they were in 'win now' mode, he isn't that guy. I'm honestly having a hard time seeing the appeal for Geno at all at this point. He's an older, perennial backup, average QB and nothing more. He made sense for Seattle because they had no backup plan in place when Wilson left. Other teams, not so much.

knownone

Reaction score
Identical in terms of comp% and yards/att maybe. Love threw for 500+ more yards and 12 more TDs, which seems notable. He also rushed for nearly 2x the yards and 4/1 TDs. I like Geno, but there's no way to ignore the potential factor in ranking those two ahead of next season.
It's only notable because you've limited your sample size to last season. If you include Geno's 2022 season, their per-game stats are virtually identical. I was actually referencing less volatile stats, though.

bigcc

Reaction score
You should take the time to read opinions in the thread, it's not impossible. You are making excuses to be dismissive.
2nd for geno lmao

Some of you are unbelievable and in dire need of a reality check. NOBODY is trading for Geno even a 7th , unless it's for a starter in training camp or mid season, and it STILL wouldn't be more than a 4th and Wed lose a lot of the cap benefit by then

Ozzy

Reaction score
This is where the upside vs. ability comes into play. Right? Some people act like Jordan Love is obviously better than Geno, yet on paper, they are virtually identical. The only meaningful difference is age and the mythical potential of a younger player.

If the goal is winning a championship next season, all else equal, I'd rather have Geno than Carr, Mayfield, Tua, Murray, Watson, and possibly Hurts. Things change if we're talking about the long-term future of a franchise. But next season, easily Geno. In fact, if I were Miami, I'd be salivating at the possibility of getting Geno at 30M rather than paying Tua.

I sort of agree with your main point but not sure how you have love and Geno as identical?
It's only notable because you've limited your sample size to last season. If you include Geno's 2022 season, their per-game stats are virtually identical. I was actually referencing less volatile stats, though.

But it’s a little unfair to judge a guy with zero WR weapons just starting in the league with a ten year vet who has one of the best WR rooms in the league. I don’t think you’re all wrong but love is better even if Geno is a little underrated.

knownone

Reaction score
I sort of agree with your main point but not sure how you have love and Geno as identical?

But it’s a little unfair to judge a guy with zero WR weapons just starting in the league with a ten year vet who has one of the best WR rooms in the league. I don’t think you’re all wrong but love is better even if Geno is a little underrated.
It's not complicated. Their advanced stats are virtually identical.

Ozzy

Reaction score

What site are you using? Player profiler has love beating him in almost every metric and some by quite a bit. And we have to factor in talent at the skill positions too.

Damn man do you always have to be snarky when people slightly disagree with you? We’re not all stupid, shocking but true

bigcc

Reaction score
Doesn't account for the pieces around them

Metrics boys don't account for the reality of football, numbers don't tell you if a qb had the flu all week

knownone

Reaction score
What site are you using? Player profiler has love beating him in almost every metric and some by quite a bit. And we have to factor in talent at the skill positions too.

Damn man do you always have to be snarky when people slightly disagree with you? We’re not all stupid, shocking but true
Okay. What was snarky?

bigcc

Reaction score

Anyone who would take geno above love is not grounded in reality.

And that's not a slight towards geno.

knownone

Reaction score
Doesn't account for the pieces around them

Metrics boys don't account for the reality of football, numbers don't tell you if a qb had the flu all week
So, how do we compare players?

bigcc

Reaction score
No one is taking Geno above Love. Maybe read the thread.
You're right I came in late, apologies.

He still doesn't have any trade value, unless another qb gets hurt after draft/free agency settles, and by then I don't know if we save enough cap for it to be worth it.

knownone

Reaction score
Again maybe our writing styles don’t mesh and I’m reading way to into it, if thats the case then apologies
Yeah. I didn't mean it as an insult or anything of that nature. My point was that my comparison between Geno and Love wasn't complicated. It was exactly what I posted in that comment. To expand on it, they compare similarly over the past two seasons in QBR, PFF, SR, and EPA. I added the conditional (in my previous posts) about age/potential to make it clear that I wasn't comparing them in totality. But I'm slowly learning that people don't always read the conditional and assume it's a part of the argument rather than a means of focusing it.

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
It's crazy how there are so many people who are ready to move on from Geno, and so many whosay no he's a great QB. I base my opinion on what I see when they are playing on the field. Geno looks great in stretches, but man he can make some really bad mistakes. The Eagles game that Drew played in was just fun to watch, probably my favorite game of the season to be honest. As a fan, yes winning is the ultimate goal, but I'd still like to be entertained. Geno does not do that for me, and for sure the defense (minus witherspoon and a few others) was not fun this year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah. I didn't mean it as an insult or anything of that nature. My point was that my comparison between Geno and Love wasn't complicated. It was exactly what I posted in that comment. To expand on it, they compare similarly over the past two seasons in QBR, PFF, SR, and EPA. I added the conditional (in my previous posts) about age/potential to make it clear that I wasn't comparing them in totality. But I'm slowly learning that people don't always read the conditional and assume it's a part of the argument rather than a means of focusing it.

Then I genuinely apologize. It’s been a long week so I’m probably just heightened and missing nuance and it’s my fault.

Latest posts