Geno Trade Value?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Staton had a good video on the situation. The 16th may not be as important as I originally thought. The real date is in March. He brought up a couple of good points on the compensation that I didn't think about. A lower round pick is still the most likely but depending on how much Seattle will eat of his contract could bump it up a little too. I'd still be shocked on something like a 2nd rounder but weirder things have happened.

Seawolv I wouldn't argue that the consensus has him ranked 9th though. I think he's more likely in the 12-17 range and that matches what I see out there.

12forlife

Reaction score
According to PFF he's 9th, which is why I linked it in my post, that puts him well above average. I'm not saying he's A tier but he isn't C tier which is where I would put average QB's. There are lots of rankings out there but PFF does a lot of analysis to come up with their rankings as opposed to just using raw stats. They aren't perfect, no ranking is, but they are widely used for a reason.
Wowzer! This issue can't be put to bed soon enough for me.
1 Geno Smith is the prime example of a AVERAGE NFL QB.
2 People keep saying he was 10-15 QB this year, but no one seems to mention all the starting QB's down with injury that obviously would have out preformed Geno and ranked lower yet.
3 I see the "average" QB in the league as of right now BELOW AVERAGE, with Brady, Brees, Big Ben & the Manning's retiring, who over the last 3 years, beside Stroud who has came in the league to replace similar talent at the position?
4 You see "AVERAGE" QB's starting all over the league right now Geno is one of them. I believe we saw Geno's ceiling in '22, which again we go 9-8 @ 33 he isn't now all the sudden going to make jump into the top QB tier.
5 With a new regime & offensive play book I don't see why we would keep Geno? Waldron had to simplify the offense for Geno, so why not just let Lock & Rookie learn the new Offense, battle it out in camp and move forward?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I can't see Geno having much trade value given how many highly rated qb's are in the draft combined with the likes of Mayfield, cousins, Winston, Minshew and Brisett being free agents. Also not factoring in someone like Russell Wilson being cut/traded.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Wowzer! This issue can't be put to bed soon enough for me.
1 Geno Smith is the prime example of a AVERAGE NFL QB.
2 People keep saying he was 10-15 QB this year, but no one seems to mention all the starting QB's down with injury that obviously would have out preformed Geno and ranked lower yet.
3 I see the "average" QB in the league as of right now BELOW AVERAGE, with Brady, Brees, Big Ben & the Manning's retiring, who over the last 3 years, beside Stroud who has came in the league to replace similar talent at the position?
4 You see "AVERAGE" QB's starting all over the league right now Geno is one of them. I believe we saw Geno's ceiling in '22, which again we go 9-8 @ 33 he isn't now all the sudden going to make jump into the top QB tier.
5 With a new regime & offensive play book I don't see why we would keep Geno? Waldron had to simplify the offense for Geno, so why not just let Lock & Rookie learn the new Offense, battle it out in camp and move forward?
PFF grades aren't dependent on number of starts. Stats based rankings are dependent on things like total passing yards. PFF grades players on how they perform game to game. How they throw, how they read the defense, how they move in the pocket, etc. In the case of someone like Aaron Rodgers, who never played a game last season, then sure we don't know how any of the work he did in the off-season might have impacted his play. However, he's been in this league for 19 years, so we have a pretty good idea what it might have looked like.

Geno Smith is not an average or slightly above average QB (C or C+), he's solidly above average (B-/B). He's also not the QB (B+/A-) we likely need to make a legitimate SB run.

Parallax

Reaction score
PFF grades aren't dependent on number of starts. Stats based rankings are dependent on things like total passing yards. PFF grades players on how they perform game to game. How they throw, how they read the defense, how they move in the pocket, etc. In the case of someone like Aaron Rodgers, who never played a game last season, then sure we don't know how any of the work he did in the off-season might have impacted his play. However, he's been in this league for 19 years, so we have a pretty good idea what it might have looked like.

Geno Smith is not an average or slightly above average QB (C or C+), he's solidly above average (B-/B). He's also not the QB (B+/A-) we likely need to make a legitimate SB run.
All of which aligns with the eye test, in my opinion. With variability because he can look great at moments and horrible at other moments. But overall, average or slightly above seems right. In my view, he's worth $10M per year but not remotely close to what his contract calls for. At least for a team in rebuild mode. He might be worth more to another team, though it's hard to see why, given that he's not taking anyone to the Superbowl.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Letā€™s make a list:
Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen
CJ Stroud
Aaron Rogers
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence
Daks Prescott
Brock Purdy
DeShaun Watson
Jordon Love
Derek Carr
Jalen Hurts
Tua Tagovailoa
Matthew Stanford
Kyler Murray
Jared Goff
*Caleb Williams
*Drake Maye
*Jayden Daniels

Here is a list of 20 QBs. Which one of these would you pick Geno over?

Edit: thereā€™s probably a few more i should have added so please mention them Too.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Letā€™s make a list:
Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen
CJ Stroud
Aaron Rogers
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence
Daks Prescott
Brock Purdy
DeShaun Watson
Jordon Love
Derek Carr
Jalen Hurts
Tua Tagovailoa
Matthew Stanford
*Caleb Williams
*Drake Maye
*Jayden Daniels

Here is a list of 18 QBs. Which one of these would you pick Geno over?
Probably Tua, Jalen, and Lawrence

Including the rookies is probably a bit silly but aight.

Geno has performed statistically pretty much identically to Justin Herbert performance since start of 2022 (I'd rather have Herbert though, duh), was better than Lawrence even *this* year by a sizeable margin, and would've easily outperformed Tua in that Miami offense (and wouldn't have managed to throw 14 picks like Tua did, either).

Hurts is probably a controversial pick but I worry about his ability to evolve moving forward after the showing to end the year. I think Geno is more versatile as a passer

nwHawk

Reaction score
The team just fired their head coach for being about league average the last two years, if you think that is ā€œgood enoughā€, well, I donā€™t know what to tell you.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Probably Tua, Jalen, and Lawrence

Including the rookies is probably a bit silly but aight.

Geno has performed statistically pretty much identically to Justin Herbert performance since start of 2022 (I'd rather have Herbert though, duh), was better than Lawrence even *this* year by a sizeable margin, and would've easily outperformed Tua in that Miami offense (and wouldn't have managed to throw 14 picks like Tua did, either).

Hurts is probably a controversial pick but I worry about his ability to evolve moving forward after the showing to end the year. I think Geno is more versatile as a passer
Only added them because we are waiting to see if he will be on the Seahawks next year. And who would trade for him if they had any on that list. I figured thereā€™d be a few QBs on the edge of the list people would prefer Geno over.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Letā€™s make a list:
Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen
CJ Stroud
Aaron Rogers
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence
Daks Prescott
Brock Purdy
DeShaun Watson
Jordon Love
Derek Carr
Jalen Hurts
Tua Tagovailoa
Matthew Stanford
Kyler Murray
Jared Goff
*Caleb Williams
*Drake Maye
*Jayden Daniels

Edit: thereā€™s probably a few more i should have added so please mention them Too.
I'd definitely take Geno over Watson, Carr, and Murray in any situation.

If we're rebuilding and still a few years away from competing, I take Geno over the above plus Rogers, Prescott, Stafford, and Goff.

If we're in win this-year mode, I take Geno over Watson, Carr, Murray, Lawrence, and maybe Tua and Goff (both may be inflated by system/coaching).

A few you could have added: Cousins, RW, Mayfield, Burrow. Of these, the one I take ahead of Geno is Burrow.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score

Patrick Mahomes had 1.58 with a lower TD/INT ratio

Only Dak averaged over 2 per game.
Iā€™m sure the Chiefs will be on the phone after the Super Bowl.

BTW imagine if Geno had the Chiefs receivers how would Geno have looked? And what if Mahomes had the Seahawks receivers. Iā€™d say the Chiefs would be undefeated or nearly so and Geno would have 2 wins . . . If lucky.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Iā€™m sure the Chiefs will be on the phone after the Super Bowl.

BTW imagine if Geno had the Chiefs receivers how would Geno have looked? And what if Mahomes had the Seahawks receivers. Iā€™d say the Chiefs would be undefeated or nearly so and Geno would have 2 wins . . . If lucky.
In no way am I suggesting that Mahomes is not the better QB. But his comment was stupid.

knownone

Reaction score
Letā€™s make a list:
Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen
CJ Stroud
Aaron Rogers
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence
Daks Prescott
Brock Purdy
DeShaun Watson
Jordon Love
Derek Carr
Jalen Hurts
Tua Tagovailoa
Matthew Stanford
Kyler Murray
Jared Goff
*Caleb Williams
*Drake Maye
*Jayden Daniels

What are the criteria? Upside or maximizing wins next season? If we're talking about maximizing wins, Geno's significantly higher on that list than many will give him credit for. He's right in that Goff, Stafford, and Prescott territory.