Geno signing multi year deal

toffee

Reaction score
It's funny you mention Flynn here. I've been wondering to myself since yesterday if this could turn into a Flynn situation? I mean we signed him as a "stop gap" quarterback then found Wilson in the 3rd round of the draft and that was that. I think it could be similar, but I don't think we can strike gold like that so perfectly again where we draft someone who beats out Geno in year one.
Geno was a probowler last season, if a rookie can unseat Geno in camp. We all need to buy Schneider drinks, he drafted a monster.

massari

Reaction score
Where are you getting your information? It's an honest question as so far as I can see, there hasn't been a word said about the subject for over a year. I hardly think that they'll just let him slide without at least some sort of an explanation.

His toxicology report was originally supposed to take up to a year, but near the end of the season a local media guy on twitter said that it's been delayed until this off-season. Funny enough nobody in the local media is even talking about it and can't find a single thing about it anywhere anymore.

Forgot about it until a random Field Gulls comment a few days ago....

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I don't see him getting the incentives that push it from $25 million to $35 million if he's riding the bench. Besides, I doubt no matter who we draft that they'll beat him out this year. Of course I thought the same about RW / Flynn until I saw him play.

On the other hand, Smith is noticeably better than Flynn was.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
25 million if he gets beat out, assuming we don't trade him mid-season.
This is a really interesting point. In that situation, Smith would be really cheap for an acquiring team, both in money and in cap space. Smith's contract gives him $25M per year, plus $10M per year in incentives, and part of the $25M is in the signing bonus, which the Seahawks will have paid and the Seahawks will have to put on their salary cap. So given that Smith was a Pro Bowl QB in 2022 and would be available to an acquiring team with a contract below $25M per year, the Seahawks could probably get some serious capital (picks and/or players) for Smith if they decided to trade him.

Of course, once we see the contract numbers, it may be that such a trade wouldn't make sense for the Seahawks even if another QB beat out Smith for the starting job.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Yes. This contract appears to give the Seahawks a tremendous amount of flexibility to keep, or part with, Geno in a way that is incredibly fair to both the player and the team!

I can easily envision a scenario where a mid-season breakup is a true win-win scenario. I honestly think this is why Geno took the discount. He believes in himself, and this contract doesn't hamstring him from finding the situation that allows him to demonstrate what he is capable of.

Devil is in the details, but we will know those soon enough.

RiverDog

Reaction score

His toxicology report was originally supposed to take up to a year, but near the end of the season a local media guy on twitter said that it's been delayed until this off-season. Funny enough nobody in the local media is even talking about it and can't find a single thing about it anywhere anymore.

Forgot about it until a random Field Gulls comment a few days ago....
I was aware of the backlog of 'up to' a year for toxicology reports, and it would make sense that Smith's was assigned a relatively low priority as it didn't result in any injuries or damage to property. But we've gone well past that 'up to' mark and we've been into the offseason for nearly a month.

I don't want to start a conspiracy theory without any evidence of one, but it sure looks like Smith's toxicology report and subsequent DUI charge has been intentionally delayed so as not to cause a PR issue for the Hawks during the season or interfere with his contract negotiations.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Last I read on Geno's contract is his guaranteed money is $28M in the first year and another $12M in 2024... but (and it's a big "but"), there's an offset clause in his contract.

That clause, if Geno is cut after this season, would relieve the Hawks from all or part of the $12M guarantee depending on his 2024 salary with a different team.

Essentially, it's a three-year contract that Seattle could get out of after one year if needed.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing the actual numbers. So far, it all sounds like an excellent example of deriving an agreement thru mutual consensuses by all parties. Geno, Pete, John and Jody are apparently all excited about the contract outcome.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. And it's not nearly as bad as the original report. I admit I was not stoked about the original numbers.
But 3 for 75. And up to 105, IF he gets his 30 mil in incentives? Solid contract imo.

Fade

Reaction score
Last I read on Geno's contract is his guaranteed money is $28M in the first year and another $12M in 2024... but (and it's a big "but"), there's an offset clause in his contract.

That clause, if Geno is cut after this season, would relieve the Hawks from all or part of the $12M guarantee depending on his 2024 salary with a different team.

Essentially, it's a three-year contract that Seattle could get out of after one year if needed.
Yes, like the Flynn contract.

It's quality starter money, but flexible enough if Geno doesn't perform, or they hit the lottery on a franchise QB, they can move off of him. Unlike Flynn who they released, they could probably flip Geno for a draft pick if it came to that.

The Seahawks did a fantastic job with this contract.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I keep hearing how we could trade Geno but of course with him signing a team friendly deal he may have a no trade clause built in to give himself a little leverage just in case. Of course I don’t see us getting that lucky again so soon but who knows?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

morgulon1

Reaction score
Yes, like the Flynn contract.

It's quality starter money, but flexible enough if Geno doesn't perform, or they hit the lottery on a franchise QB, they can move off of him. Unlike Flynn who they released, they could probably flip Geno for a draft pick if it came to that.

The Seahawks did a fantastic job with this contract.
Hey , people can't say everything Fade says is negative towards management.

This was a Geno quote from Bump and Stacy
“I remember that night, that Thursday night when Ross got hurt. And to be honest, he didn’t want to come out that game,” Smith said. “He kept going back in and I kind of had to tell him, ‘Hey, man, this is kind of my time. I gotta go out there right now.’ I kind of felt that in my spirit, just the entire year that something was gonna happen"

It tells you what a selfish POS Mr unlimited is. To the detriment of the team. I'm so glad we have #7.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Geno didn't take the bait on the improvement question. I know I am bias from enjoying this singing but wow you could feel the love up on that podium. Maybe I am reading too much into it but John sure gushed over well and professional how the whole process went.