Geno signing multi year deal

Ozzy

Reaction score
View attachment 58024

no chill pnw, no chill... 🤣
I overreacted. I think if you pass on a QB at 5 because of the signing then it’s a massive miss. But to be fair we need to see how this plays out. When you dig into the numbers we’re Geno I think his year was overrated. Second half fall off, lead the league in turnover worthy throws but also lowest % if those picked off(massively good luck) etc. I just worry the second half geno is what we’re going to get. He could also improve with another year in the system.

Hawknight

Reaction score
So question is now, do we have the cap space with Geno's current deal to sign a FA or 2, less need to cut as much as we thought? Anyone know the cap numbers after Geno's signing?

keasley45

Reaction score

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I overreacted. I think if you pass on a QB at 5 because of the signing then it’s a massive miss. But to be fair we need to see how this plays out. When you dig into the numbers we’re Geno I think his year was overrated. Second half fall off, lead the league in turnover worthy throws but also lowest % if those picked off(massively good luck) etc. I just worry the second half geno is what we’re going to get. He could also improve with another year in the system.
LOLOLOL So it's entirely possible that he falls flat on his butt if he doesn't kick ass and take names?
Can you imagine if he'd have played in SF and had all their Offensive weapons at his disposal?

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
From the forum of the team who started the last pick of the draft...
... after blowing 3 1sts and a 3rd on trey lance :ROFLMAO:

from the article:

"Now, here’s the flip side of this extension. Smith’s deal keeps Seattle competitive while they can take a chance on a quarterback at pick five. Stop me if you’ve heard this one before. Seattle intends to compete and develop a quarterback behind Smith.

If Seattle hits on more players in this draft and selects a toolsy quarterback like Anthony Richardson, the outcome could turn into another Seattle team that competes at the top of the NFC constantly."

hoxrox

Reaction score

Geno's improvement will be incumbent on several factors:

1) Waldron continuing to be creative with the plays and play calling, especially in the red zone.
2) A full camp to develop more rapport with DK and Lockett, the TEs, and whomever emerges at WR3
3) A healthy RB stable. Second half, RB health wasn't great.
4) LT and RT continuing to develop, and a center who can pass protect, giving a Geno a clean pocket to throw from.
5) A defense that can get off the field, and give him more opportunities to score.

bileever

Reaction score
Daniel Jones just signed for $160 million for four years. Carr's contract is $150 million over four years. How do you feel about Geno's contract compared to those two?

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks get an "A" grade for this signing.

It is 3 yr $75M with 30M in additional incentives. For cap purposes they still have to count the incentives against the cap coming in at $35M APY.

This is a modern Matt Flynn contract. They are still looking at getting a QB for the future. Could be in this draft, or they could move down from the #5, selling it to a more desperate team, placing them in the cat bird seat at getting a QB next year with multiple 1st round picks once again in 2024.

It comes down to who JS likes. I think he likes Levis and Richardson.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks get an "A" grade for this signing.

It is 3 yr $75M with 30M in additional incentives. For cap purposes they still have to count the incentives against the cap coming in at $35M APY.

This is a modern Matt Flynn contract. They are still looking at getting a QB for the future. Could be in this draft, or they could move down from the #5, selling it to a more desperate team, placing them in the cat bird seat at getting a QB next year with multiple 1st round picks once again in 2024.

It comes down to who JS likes. I think he likes Levis and Richardson.

It's funny you mention Flynn here. I've been wondering to myself since yesterday if this could turn into a Flynn situation? I mean we signed him as a "stop gap" quarterback then found Wilson in the 3rd round of the draft and that was that. I think it could be similar, but I don't think we can strike gold like that so perfectly again where we draft someone who beats out Geno in year one.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Out of the fire. I doubt we draft a QB at #5 now unless we want a $35 mil bench warmer.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
It's funny you mention Flynn here. I've been wondering to myself since yesterday if this could turn into a Flynn situation? I mean we signed him as a "stop gap" quarterback then found Wilson in the 3rd round of the draft and that was that. I think it could be similar, but I don't think we can strike gold like that so perfectly again where we draft someone who beats out Geno in year one.
I think Hooker would be the only chance for that but I bet they wait too long to get a shot at him.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Out of the fire. I doubt we draft a QB at #5 now unless we want a $35 mil bench warmer.

I don't see him getting the incentives that push it from $25 million to $35 million if he's riding the bench. Besides, I doubt no matter who we draft that they'll beat him out this year. Of course I thought the same about RW / Flynn until I saw him play.

Fade

Reaction score
Yeah, no one they draft will be out Geno in year 1, but they have structured it in a way that allows them to still go QB if the right guy is there.

bigskydoc

Reaction score

My reaction when the true contract numbers hit, "stop me if you've heard this one before."

Would be really something if John has his eye on a mid-round talent that nobody else is high on.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Probably had more to do with his value on the free agent market wasn't as high as he and his agent thought it was.

But we can go with the feel good hometown discount vibes, sounds better.
That and partly due the Hawks giving him the chance to be in this position. I'm sure there's at least a little gratitude there

Ozzy

Reaction score
Now that the numbers came out it’s a good deal and might actually point to them planning on taking a QB at 5. If they’re guy doesn’t make it to them then go Defense.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Now that the numbers came out it’s a good deal and might actually point to them planning on taking a QB at 5. If they’re guy doesn’t make it to them then go Defense.
that's what i'm thinking too. hopefully 1 of levis / AR / WA jr. falls to us.