Garry Gilliam - The New OL Whipping Boy

A-Dog

Reaction score
The latest trend on the board now that Fant is emerging is that our line is in great shape as long as we can find a replacement for Garry Gilliam. He is clearly the new whipping boy after Britt (in his 3rd year as a starter) came around and Fant replaced Sowell. I for one think Gilliam is part of the reason our line is shaping up to be a strength, now and in future years.

Gilliam started the offseason at LT. For a variety of reasons - primarily because Webb was injured and did not earn the job - Gilliam was moved over to RT. Most people seem to assume that it was because Sowell beat him out, but I don't think that's clear. Cable says repeatedly that he wants to get his best five players on the field, so essentially Sowell beat out Webb. The promise that Fant showed at LT probably made the decision to move Gilliam back to RT a little easier.

Gilliam started this past week over Webb, Sowell, and Odiambo. That means he beat them out and is one of the five best players we have on the offensive line. The recent criticism of Gilliam seems to stem more from the assumption (based on his lack of experience as well as his uneven performances early in the season) that Gilliam sucks rather than an actual source (such as Cable or Caroll, or an article by an analyst, or even a personal observation).

It's fair to say that it takes a while to settle in on the OL - Britt should serve as evidence for that. Gilliams TC injury, combined with his move back to the right side, combined with the fact that he's playing next to a rookie, are all valid reasons for why he may have had a rough start to the season.

I'm of the mind that the OL that we started the Philly game with might be the group that turns in to a top unit long term. They are young, cheap (for now), and talented across the board, with the versatile Odiambo providing depth and competition along with Hunt. Gilliam still has a lot of upside, his play is steadily improving over the course of the season, and he and Fant give us excellent athleticism as bookend tackles. The future on the OL is bright and Gilliam is part of the reason why.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
At what point is Gilliam experienced? He has 29 starts.

Britt on the other hand, who looks great at his new spot, has just 10 starts there.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2z0uxe5h said:

Britt on the other hand, who looks great at his new spot, has just 10 starts there.
Britt has 47 starts in the NFL, including playoffs. He also had significantly more experience in college.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
A-Dog":48oywine said:
CodeWarrior":48oywine said:

Britt has 47 starts in the NFL, including playoffs. He also had significantly more experience in college.

Disregarding Britt, at what point is Gilliam experienced? I'm not saying your argument is wrong, I'm just curious as to when Gilliam loses the inexperienced tag.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":11roqiai said:
Disregarding Britt, at what point is Gilliam experienced? I'm not saying your argument is wrong, I'm just curious as to when Gilliam loses the inexperienced tag.
Experienced is a relative term.

I think what you're implying is "haven't we given him enough time, and hasn't he proven to not be good enough?"

I'd say that a player who came in to the league with very little experience, who is in his 2nd year as a starter, is still relatively inexperienced compared to the average NFL starter.

For Gilliam, if he continues to improve this year and the line as a whole performs well the 2nd half of the season, getting a starting-caliber OT would not be one of my top three priorities this offseason.