GAME #3 in the books. Post Thoughts --> Here.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think the Alex era is here so bye bye Davis..
As for the defense it's preseason so it's not going to be the whole
body of work that you will see as some people are still out ect.
One bright side is the kickers will not be costing us games like
last year.

nrayorr

Reaction score
The 1s looked great out there. The O-line was pretty good tonight and I even saw some brilliance from Ofedi holding the line. Dickson was spot on... love that guy!! I thought Chris Carson had a great game as well. I do agree that our TEs didn't stick out to me and was used primarily for blocking. I'd like to see them more involved in pass catching to see what they are made of in that aspect.

Overall I am pleased with our 1s. The mediots have us winning 5 games, I see more than that from what I have seen so far.

kf3339

Reaction score
Many have already posted some of my same thoughts about last nights game.

Overall I see a team that will be very competitive this year. There is improvement in may areas that we just didn't have last season.

OL is getting it done. We haven't seen that in years. Credit Solari with getting their heads on straight. Even Ifedi looked good which is a pleasant surprise.

Carson and Davis looked pretty good running thru actual holes in the line. How about that! The WR's had a great night as well. Especially Marshall, Moore and Reynolds. I can see 6 being kept this season on the 53. Our TE's showed their game for helping the running game, which was pretty much absent the last few years.

RW will have a chance to be even better this season than last which is saying a lot.

Overall, our 1st team offense should be able to string together long scoring drives which will be a pleasant surprise and may even be able to score in the first three quarters of games. Who would have thought that?

Our D front seven looks actually better than last year in some ways. I think the pass rush will show up, but probably with just a more aggressive posture than years past. More blitzing seems to be in the cards which personally I am excited to see. We pretty much had none in the last few years, so maybe that will be where it comes from going forward. I won't name every player, but the stats did show up. We held what is supposed to be a high powered offense to only 6 points with their ones. Before the game I wouldn't have made that bet.

Our secondary is in need of work, but we had to vets (Maxwell and McDougald) out so perhaps some of that will be fixed when they return.

Our young D guys looked hungry and aggressive which is what our defense needed to show.

Last, our special teams are night and day better than last year. This in one off-season has turned into a strength.

I can honestly say that this game makes me think we will be better in our own NFC west division than I was expecting before last night.

It's going to be interesting to see the cut-downs because there is some talent that we aren't going to be able to keep even on our PS.

Jville

Reaction score
The men on the line of scrimmage caught my eye.

The offensive line and tight ends had greater success in controlling defenders and opening lanes. The improved running game and play action was clearly evident. I also saw a rotation of defensive linemen keeping linebackers clean and free to run. We are witnessing the birth of a revised defense. This defense and it's make up are in transition.

Special Teams are transitioning to "very special".

Truly enjoyed the progress I saw last night. :2thumbs: It's a process. The best is yet to come!

kf3339

Reaction score
Jville":2h3exu5m said:
The men on the line of scrimmage caught my eye.

The offensive line and tight ends had greater success in controlling defenders and opening lanes. The improved running game and play action was clearly evident. I also saw a rotation of defensive linemen keeping linebackers clean and free to run. We are witnessing the birth of a revised defense. This defense and it's make up are in transition.

Special Teams are transitioning to "very special".

Truly enjoyed the progress I saw last night. :2thumbs: It's a process. The best is yet to come!

I will say that the last few years haven't been easy to watch at all. You just knew that the issues weren't being corrected and the product on the field was too inconsistent. I actually would not watch that closely the first half of games. It was just that bad.

Now I can actually say that I'm excited to see this team compete this year right now. I think the team is turning a corner and will keep us intrigued all game long. That in itself is a game changer for me! :irishdrinkers:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I liked what I saw from the O early.

I am still concerned about the D as they are giving up a lot of dink dunk plays in front of them that move the ball downfield. They were reasonably strong against the run.

It was encouraging to note that although the D spent most of the 1st Q on the field they only gave up one score. I say that as that part of the D play was encouraging.

Thought the play of the OLine and in particular the much maligned Ifedi was improved significantly against a good DLine from Minnie.

I do think the team will look a great deal better when some of the players who were not playing or who haven't yet played much are playing.

In particular I was encouraged watching the play of (in no particular order) Carson, Moore, McGough, Marshall on O, and Jackson, Ford, Walden, Mingo, Martin, Calitro, and Coleman on D. Moore should make the team he's starting to look like a genuine beast highpointing the ball.

The vets not mentioned on the roster that played all looked ready to start the season. Quil Griffin looks to be a special find at CB.

It was fun at the end and McGough almost pulled it off.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Offense was ok. It needs to get better, at least the 1st string. The Offense has the talent and ability to be a lot better. And the playcalling on 3rd and long was garbage. I get it is preseason but that crap better vanish in the regular season.

#1 Defense is still a problem. Almost no pressure from the 1st string DL. Wax poetic about the DL 'depth' all you want but if they cannot pressure the QB - I doubt it matters.

Saw the #1 defense giving more YAC on those short throws than I would like.

Ratcheted my expectations on the defense way back this year so not as annoyed by it as I would normally be.

Dickson essentially removes the short field from the opposing offense at a potential starting position. Even kicking from near the EZ it gets to the 30. He is going to be an incredible asset, especially if we start having some growing pains from the offense as they get used to the new OC.

These games are going to start counting soon, so let's hope they get this offense working. We are going to need to score early and often to make up for the weaknesses on defense. We have the talent to do so. We might have one of the best receiving corps we have had since the SB runs. (Except TE, TE as an offensive threat is petty meh but for the blocking)

Steve2222

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":18r6uehv said:
Offense was ok. It needs to get better, at least the 1st string. The Offense has the talent and ability to be a lot better. And the playcalling on 3rd and long was garbage. I get it is preseason but that crap better vanish in the regular season.

#1 Defense is still a problem. Almost no pressure from the 1st string DL. Wax poetic about the DL 'depth' all you want but if they cannot pressure the QB - I doubt it matters.

Saw the #1 defense giving more YAC on those short throws than I would like.

Ratcheted my expectations on the defense way back this year so not as annoyed by it as I would normally be.

Dickson essentially removes the short field from the opposing offense at a potential starting position. Even kicking from near the EZ it gets to the 30. He is going to be an incredible asset, especially if we start having some growing pains from the offense as they get used to the new OC.

These games are going to start counting soon, so let's hope they get this offense working. We are going to need to score early and often to make up for the weaknesses on defense. We have the talent to do so. We might have one of the best receiving corps we have had since the SB runs. (Except TE, TE as an offensive threat is petty meh but for the blocking)

Eh I’ll take being up 10-6 at halftime at the NFC favorite this year

sc85sis

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I saw Rasheem Green being double teamed at one point.

Poona Ford is going to be good for the D line, too. He takes advantage of his leverage as a “short” guy and he’s strong.

Alex McGough is super raw, but he has tools. I think he’s likely to go to the practice squad and we either keep Austin or look for other vet help as the backup. Russ needs to stay healthy.

We have a run game! That’s going to make a big difference this season.

O line looks pretty good. Much improved compared to last year. We need to keep building off that and get the second and third string guys to improve.

Secondary obviously isn’t what it was. We will need to be patient with those guys.

We seem to have a plethora of WRs right now. John and Pete will have tough choices to make with that unit. David Moore seems a lock.

chris98251

Reaction score
Walden, Green, Mingo, Jackson, Martin, were all getting pressure and getting in last night, Walden a surprise after only being here a few days but it seems Pete has found his nitch, LB's in general were laying everyone out, Interior line was getting good push and we controlled their running game for the most part. Passing game we played safe I think keeping I in front of us, that's a product of confidence and learning, when they can play down hill and feel safe taking a shot at picking a ball we will see more turnovers.

O Line making a case for coming together finally, running game and blocking were much better then we have seen in virtually years here, pass protection by Wilsons own words vastly better, Davis and Carson looked good, Prosise well he wasn't noticed much but at least he was out there, he did whiff on a block and not pick up a blitzer at the end of the game when we were trying to go for the end zone prior to the last play.

Our WR group has all speeds shapes and sizes, we have depth there, this is going to be where some of the hardest cuts come from.

Going into a hostile house and coming close to pulling it out with 2nd and 3rd string guys was a good test, I think we passed even though the game was lost, we were not walked over by one of the favorites to win the NFC title.

hawker84

Reaction score
hawknation2018 said:
I think you’re jumping to conclusions about Ken Norton, Jr. We saw a much more aggressive defense today, with the blitzes, than we have seen from a Seahawks defense in a long time. The Oakland defense was a Jack Del Rio defense.

He could've had two pics in that game if he'd just turn and look for the ball. One thing i loved about shermans play. He always turned and looked for the